Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-02-2014, 05:28 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
What mount did they dump ?
They don't officially dump them. What they do is stop supporting them, stop releaseing new products, and introduce new mounts that are not compatible with the former ones.

05-02-2014, 07:45 AM   #32
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
They don't officially dump them. What they do is stop supporting them, stop releaseing new products, and introduce new mounts that are not compatible with the former ones.
exactly which mount have they stopped supporting?

beyond that... the sony mount system is confusing as ****, but afaik, sony has two physical mounts, a-mount and e-mount.
05-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Here is the closest to an explanation I've found.

Mounting Confusion: De-mystifying Sony lens mounts
05-02-2014, 08:57 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is the closest to an explanation I've found.

Mounting Confusion: De-mystifying Sony lens mounts
If tables, charts, graphics and many paragraphs are necessary to decipher and explain a brand's camera mounts, then something's wrong.

M

05-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #35
Banned

Sony has only two mounts, DSLR A mount for the A series like the APS-C aA77 II , full frame a99/A900 and the four year old mirrorless E mount for the APS-C NEX, a6000 , 4K NEX-FS700R along with full frame VG900, A7, A7r and A7s. So again what mount did Sony stop supporting and what new mounts are not compatible with the former ones ?

A mount June 2006:
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100, hands-on preview: Digital Photography Review
E mount May 2010 :
Sony NEX mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras previewed: Digital Photography Review
05-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #36
osv
Veteran Member

people have been waiting for the other shoe to drop on the sony lens mount situation... having two physical mounts just doesn't seem logical, something has to give, lol

releasing another a-mount camera like this a77 II just prolongs the confusion, because it means that they aren't ready to dump the a-mount system.

part of the problem is the confusing names for everything... why call it an a6000, when it's really just a nex 8?

the responses in this thread show alienation towards the sony brand, in part because it's so hard to decipher the products that are for sale.
05-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Sony has only two mounts, DSLR A mount for the A series like the APS-C aA77 II , full frame a99/A900 and the four year old mirrorless E mount for the APS-C NEX, a6000 , 4K NEX-FS700R along with full frame VG900, A7, A7r and A7s. So again what mount did Sony stop supporting and what new mounts are not compatible with the former ones ?

A mount June 2006:
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100, hands-on preview: Digital Photography Review
E mount May 2010 :
Sony NEX mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras previewed: Digital Photography Review
It is just weird. On one hand, Sony signals that they are done with the alpha mount and SLTs. Mirrorless and maybe PD AF on the sensor is the wave of the future and on the other hand they release another APS-C SLT camera. Makes no sense. If you were going to release more alpha mount cameras, full frame would make a lot more sense and please more people.

05-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As much as I find Sony's product strategy bemusing, they'll presumably keep doing it for as long as the US finance arm keeps delivering the profits that allow their engineering teams to churn out the vast, seemingly unfocused range of cameras and systems that they do. Paradoxically, though, as an engineer I find some wry humour in the fact that an independent design and manufacturing company can successfully participate in the largely parasitic, overpaid and self-important finance industry, to prop up a bunch of engineers having great fun doing what they do best - making stuff.

That said, I can't see me buying any of their products in the near future, unless they can produce a well-built, light, pocketable zoom P&S with a decent built-in EVF and good high-ISO performance, coupled with a good zoom range that isn't compromised at one end or the other. The A77 doesn't appeal to me on any level, as it stands.
05-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I'm certain this camera is not going to draw any of us from Pentax. But for anyone looking to purchase their first camera you can see how this would be very appealing and entice others away from Pentax.
05-02-2014, 06:08 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
I'm certain this camera is not going to draw any of us from Pentax. But for anyone looking to purchase their first camera you can see how this would be very appealing and entice others away from Pentax.
Yeah, the release shows they haven't yet gambled the entire company on mirrorless as Fuji and Olympus have done. They still want to have a modern offering in the DSLR market.
05-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
For me it is rather simple. It has Sony on it. I've been burned by that company so many times I will not buy anything from them just on principle. YMMV
My mileage varies considerably more. After having owned 4 Sony Vaios over the past 16 years and 2 Sony Digital cameras, I have been nothing but pleased. I am not a fan-boy of any one brand, but do know the camera bodies they have been turning out over the past couple of years have been nothing short of amazing and seem to be one of only a few companies breaking any new ground when it comes to consumer digital photography lately.

I'd love nothing more than for Pentax to release a much more compact mirrorless system I can attach my K mount glass onto, but for now, the NEX stuff is working nicely and seems to do with pleasure. That being said, you can get an RX100II which accepts an EVF. Even without it, the camera nails it on all other levels.

Jason

---------- Post added 05-03-2014 at 04:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
That said, I can't see me buying any of their products in the near future, unless they can produce a well-built, light, pocketable zoom P&S with a decent built-in EVF and good high-ISO performance, coupled with a good zoom range that isn't compromised at one end or the other. The A77 doesn't appeal to me on any level, as it stands.
Who is making this said camera body exactly? No one. Why? impossible at the moment most likely. Cant fault Sony for that unless you faulty everyone else too.

Jason

Last edited by Jasvox; 05-02-2014 at 07:57 PM.
05-02-2014, 08:01 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want to be part of the latest and greatest crowd then go ahead and buy one, but if you intend to keep up with this well heeled lot be prepared to lose a ton of money in the process. And also be prepared for your photographic capabilities to be stunted by the awful kit lens.
05-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Who is making this said camera body exactly? No one. Why? impossible at the moment most likely. Cant fault Sony for that unless you faulty everyone else too.

Jason
Who said anything about fault? I simply said I'd be interested in such a product, and Sony make so many other variants of the P&S, you'd wonder why they they didn't do something like this. How do you read an accusation of fault into that? The answer probably is that most of their (and others') cameras of this type are for people going up from a phone camera, so they neither know nor care about an EVF and the other things I was talking about. Panasonic do make something like this, but it's not that well-built, and the zoom is compromised at the long end. So, no. Someone is making something like it, but not good enough for what I want, yet.
05-03-2014, 04:54 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Sorry man, I was just wondering what you meant about the perfect P&S with those features and how it related to the A772. For the record, the camera you stated about wanting, I want too. Have you done any reading or research into the rumored specs of the Sony RX200? This may be the answer, including built in EVF.

Jason
05-03-2014, 05:43 AM   #45
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is just weird. On one hand, Sony signals that they are done with the alpha mount and SLTs. Mirrorless and maybe PD AF on the sensor is the wave of the future and on the other hand they release another APS-C SLT camera. Makes no sense. If you were going to release more alpha mount cameras, full frame would make a lot more sense and please more people.
Show me a link to were " Sony signals that they are done with the alpha mount and SLTs ".

300mm F2.8 Sony alpha A mount on a77 II SLT :