Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #61
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
For me it is rather simple. It has Sony on it. I've been burned by that company so many times I will not buy anything from them just on principle. YMMV
What did they do to you?

05-09-2014, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My DSLR is much better than my mirrorless cameras, and much better than an M4/3. Of course I'd rather have a native lens stuck to my stone age DSLR that works perfectly and allows me to use that antique OVF to compose my shots instead of forcing me to use LV or an EVF. I guess that's just the neoluddite in me speaking though!
05-10-2014, 01:00 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
My DSLR is much better than my mirrorless cameras, and much better than an M4/3. Of course I'd rather have a native lens stuck to my stone age DSLR that works perfectly and allows me to use that antique OVF to compose my shots instead of forcing me to use LV or an EVF. I guess that's just the neoluddite in me speaking though!
My Pentax DSLR is better in AF than my Nex mirrorless, but the mirrorless are better in MF than my DSLR. If the A6000 AF speed claim holds up, phase based DSLR AF speed advantage may be a thing of the past. We;ll see what happens. Lenses are another issue however.
05-10-2014, 03:08 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The kludgy adapter spin is getting old. There are many using adapters without problems on mirrorless cameras that are light years better than DSLRs with antique OVFs and mirror box IMHO. People who never used mirrorless cameras with adapters just love using that anti mirrorless camera adapter spin. When I look through my GH4 EVF when shooting 4K it makes my DSLRs with OVF look like the stone age.
Did they have auto focus in the stone age?

05-10-2014, 05:04 AM   #65
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Did they have auto focus in the stone age?
My GH4 does 12fps continuous shooting (AFS), 7.5fps continuous shooting (AFC) and shows all the info I need to see in real time in the the electronic viewfinder that is a high resolution unit with 2360k dots.
05-10-2014, 06:02 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
My GH4 does 12fps continuous shooting (AFS), 7.5fps continuous shooting (AFC) and shows all the info I need to see in real time in the the electronic viewfinder that is a high resolution unit with 2360k dots.
Panasonic Lumix GH4 12fps Shutter FullHD 60p - YouTube
Panasonic Lumix GH4 Promo - YouTube
I don't believe you answered the question.

My question is the reason that people complain about stone age adapters on electronics age light boxes.
05-10-2014, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #67
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
lv and evf are two entirely different things... if you were to compare the two, lv sucks, because it's usually done via a lousy lcd screen, that washes out in daylight, and doesn't have good resolution.

the evf on my a7r has more resolution than the lcd does, and with focus magnify, it gives me manual focus capability that blows away all ovf's.

you can never have accurate manual focus capability with an ovf, regardless of the screen you use, it'll always be a guessing game.

05-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #68
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
lv and evf are two entirely different things... if you were to compare the two, lv sucks, because it's usually done via a lousy lcd screen, that washes out in daylight, and doesn't have good resolution.

the evf on my a7r has more resolution than the lcd does, and with focus magnify, it gives me manual focus capability that blows away all ovf's.

you can never have accurate manual focus capability with an ovf, regardless of the screen you use, it'll always be a guessing game.
I haven't seemed to have a problem with manual focus. I simply would rather use auto focus. I have used an EVF camera that a friend had, but I still prefer OVF.
05-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #69
osv
Veteran Member

there is a lot to be said for autofocus, if it works right... i'd even call it nearly essential, for some situations.

there are quality differences in evf's, and even with the best evf, there is a learning curve... for instance, sometimes i have to combine focus magnification with focus peaking, because neither by itself is fully adequate.

both focus magnification and focus peaking have ranges of adjustment, and tweakability, so imho, it's not something that be picked up overnight.
05-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
there is a lot to be said for autofocus, if it works right... i'd even call it nearly essential, for some situations.

there are quality differences in evf's, and even with the best evf, there is a learning curve... for instance, sometimes i have to combine focus magnification with focus peaking, because neither by itself is fully adequate.

both focus magnification and focus peaking have ranges of adjustment, and tweakability, so imho, it's not something that be picked up overnight.
I also prefer AF. But there are times when one has no options other than MF, i.e. picking out a bird in a branched tree, focus stacking shots, macro etc. I didn't get excited about macro shots until i got a Nex camera and found out how easy it is to focus them manually and accurately.

Here's a link to the focus peaking post on the Sony dpreview forum: A (near) comprehensive set of peaking tips: Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review As one can see, there is more technique to getting an accurate shot with focus peaking than one might imagine. But focus peaking doesn't always work with insufficient light or contrast, so the focus magnify function is needed. I think Sony realized that a lot of consumers would be using their mirrorless in manual focusing mode, so they spent the time to get the manual focusing process into a refined procedure.

While one can use MF in LV on a Pentax dslr, I have yet to read a post claiming that its as refined as the newer mirrorless. Because i don't believe it is.
05-16-2014, 05:46 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
That said, I can't see me buying any of their products in the near future, unless they can produce a well-built, light, pocketable zoom P&S with a decent built-in EVF and good high-ISO performance, coupled with a good zoom range that isn't compromised at one end or the other. The A77 doesn't appeal to me on any level, as it stands.

Looks like your wishlist was met.
(SR5) Sony announcement at exactly 5am London time. Stay tuned on SAR! | sonyalpharumors
Amazon.com: Sony DSC-RX100M III Cyber-shot Digital Still Camera: Camera & Photo

Jason
06-10-2015, 07:01 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Received A77ii few days ago and been playing with it since........ All I can say is overall I'm very disappointed. Outdoors its O.K but has very split personalities, some photos come out quite good, some are horrible, looks dull or washed out, similar to old point and shoot camera.
Indoors is where this camera just plain sucks. This camera is much worse than Kx. ISO needs to be cranked up to 1000 on lens that is f2, on Kx 400-500 was more than enough for similar available light.
The colors are very dull, indoors and out. I've tried several settings but none are satisfactory.
Viewfinder and LCD are very deceiving, aftter taking a photo, it looks good in preview but much darker in real life. Dimming LCD/EVF does not help.

I've used K100D S, Kx, K10D, K20D, K200D, K5ii, K50, Sony A35 and 77ii............ I still own K200D and K50, I will give A77ii as much chance as I can before letting it go but I feel that Pentax makes much better DSLR than Sony as far my opinion goes.

Last edited by fiveseven; 06-11-2015 at 09:51 AM.