Photos: Albums
Nikon D4 flagship Left in the Rain.

Check Out What Happens When the $6,000 Nikon D4 is Left Exposed in a Storm

05-11-2014, 12:00 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This was my comment on that article:

QuoteQuote:
I'm the one (Alexander Jansen) who's story is linked to with "...and being immersed in sand."

This is....really.......not good.

On the other hand, I was outside for a training mission, and it POURED for 3 days straight. Not *ONCE* were two cameras (Pentax K-30 and K-5 IIs) and the lens attached to each put under a cover. They were continually rained on for 72 hours straight, to include left outside as I slept in the rain (we soldiers are dumb lol) and never did they suffer any of the water intrusion this guy's Nikon's did.

Not impressed, Nikon.
-Heie
05-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow.
Mind you this is has got so much water in it that it makes me wonder if the cameras got some sort of damage (had a drop or damaged seals or something).
05-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd say he got lucky considering the lens was pointed straight into the rain!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I don't understand why it has such a weird color. Could it be that the rain washed away the paint? :O

Also, it is really hard for me to believe what is written in that article. How could Nikon risk its reputation so much? I though I could take a camera of this caliber to the worst conditions possible (not just simple rain) and just laugh at that storm or whatever.

Anyway, it was interesting to read
05-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's a custom painted one, if I am reading the comments correctly.
05-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For those of us with WR, we can get lucky, but all seals get brittle as the materials age and eventually fail. Even the waterproof Pentax lines come with company advice to have a dealer annually check their condition: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.uk/en/waterproof-camera-useful-tips-and-hints.html

You'd hate to try something as a stunt for our Canikon friends out of the warranty period and have it go spectacularly wrong!

05-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I personally find that level of water intrusion abhorrent. Makes me wonder how poorly they seal the LCDs on the D4.

As far as the paint job goes: Photographer Gives His Nikon Gear a DIY "Desert Mirage Lizard" Paint Job
05-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

lol yeah, at first I thought "whoa, Nikon cameras change colour if they get wet??" but its just a custom paint job. And the paint is a special type that forms a shell, so it might have played a role in the overall weather resistance. Oh well, maybe someone should tell this photographer about the K-3..
05-12-2014, 06:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd say he got lucky considering the lens was pointed straight into the rain!
I would question who certified the fumes from the 'customized' paint job would not destroy silicon seals??

To me its a lesson in idiocy, he invalidated his warranty by applying paints to the camera and then shoved them in the rain this is nothing to-do with Nikon weather sealing and everything to-do with foolish behavior.

Which was not the rain but the painting.!
05-12-2014, 07:29 AM   #11
Banned

Well that a nice color for a camera, but not so smart to do this.
05-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
I personally find that level of water intrusion abhorrent. Makes me wonder how poorly they seal the LCDs on the D4.

As far as the paint job goes: Photographer Gives His Nikon Gear a DIY "Desert Mirage Lizard" Paint Job
I wonder why he painted the hoods from inside. The only effect I can think is to ruin iq.