Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nothing sticks to Nikon's fluorine coated lenses

05-20-2014, 01:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting video, though I have to say: I feel sorry for the guys who had to work with elemental fluorine to create this coating it is nasty stuff. In the effort to isolate elemental Florine many people died from poisoning or explosions from handling this fine substance.
05-20-2014, 02:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Why can't Pentax have lens coatings with poisonous chemical elements?

Am I correct to assume Nikon don't use fluorine on most of their lenses?
05-20-2014, 02:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
I correct to assume Nikon don't use fluorine on most of their lenses?
I think they developed it with express purpose of shutting up those people who whinged about oil spots on the sensor cover glass. If they use this coating on the DSLR sensor cover glass on their next DSLR I wouldn't be surprised.

05-20-2014, 02:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Two letters: SP.
05-20-2014, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I had gotten up to get a drink of water - wound up surfing the net for a while and then posting the initial link. I had thought that Pentax had done something with fluorine, but forgot to add it to the initial post and went back to bed.... Here is what I had intended to also post along with the original. Sorry - and thanks to Giklab for the "two letters"!

So, it appears that Pentax is ahead of the curve technically, but Nikon is better at marketing.... sigh ( - again...)
QuoteQuote:
(Super Protection) Coating

SP (Super Protection) coating is a special coating on the external lens element of specific PENTAX lenses. It is based on
a fluorine coating and prevents water-based or oily substances from adhering to the lens . SP coated lenses are more
easily cleaned of finger marks, smears or other matter than may come in contact with the lens
05-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I had gotten up to get a drink of water - wound up surfing the net for a while and then posting the initial link. I had thought that Pentax had done something with fluorine, but forgot to add it to the initial post and went back to bed.... Here is what I had intended to also post along with the original. Sorry - and thanks to Giklab for the "two letters"!

So, it appears that Pentax is ahead of the curve technically, but Nikon is better at marketing.... sigh ( - again...)
Pentax SMC DA - YouTube
Pentax is like that guy who always comes early to the party, but sits there very very quietly.

05-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Fluorine based compounds, particularly ones with the very strong carbon-fluorine bonds, tend to have very low reactivity and very low friction. These properties have been known for a long time, which is why things like Teflon (which is nothing but a chain of C-F bonds) are used in things like non-stick cookware coating. These same properties are at work here in these non-stick lens coatings.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Interesting video, though I have to say: I feel sorry for the guys who had to work with elemental fluorine to create this coating it is nasty stuff. In the effort to isolate elemental Florine many people died from poisoning or explosions from handling this fine substance.
Do you also feel sorry for those who produce very common fluorine based compounds like Teflon and sodium fluoride (the active ingredient in virtually every toothpaste), the latter of which millions of tons are produced every year with the use of highly toxic hydrofluoric acid? Modern industrial processes and safety procedures render working with many toxic substances like fluorine and chlorine no more dangerous than any other substance.

In fact, the industrial substances that have caused the most death and destruction usually turn out to be seemingly innocuous things like fertilizer, sugar, or powdered leftovers of metals like aluminum after machining causing explosions that have killed thousands over the years, or inert gases like nitrogen or argon filling rooms and displacing oxygen, causing suffocation.

Last edited by Cannikin; 05-20-2014 at 02:22 PM.
05-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #9

I would love to have this coating on my shooting glasses and motorcycle vizor/windshield. It would be really nice in the rain.