Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Help me decide which system(s) to sell off. *votes are private*
Fujifilm X Pro1.   00%
Sony NEX 6. 1237.50%
Both. 1237.50%
I don't care/ don't know. 825.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which mirrorless should i sell off?

So as you know i have actually THREE mirror-less systems counting the Q which i am keeping as i am a Pentaxian after all

Fujifilm X Pro 1
Sony NEX 6

or just sell off both and just stay with my 5D3 and 1Dx...which is what i plan on shooting mostly...as i find small, light doesn't really bother me. I still have a X 100 and X 100s which i will also keep as one body fix lens is fine for most of my non-sporting events.

Thank you.

05-25-2014, 06:42 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Based on your previous posts, you should probably sell off both, plus your Q as well. I seem to recall you have explained previously that your use cases do not really suit mirrorless.

I wouldn't really invest in a new system unless I can think of at least one really good use case that will set it apart from all my other cameras. That's the main reason I still haven't bought Micro 4/3, even though I have been so sorely tempted. I tried to justify it by saying it will provide a third focal length for any given M-mount lens (apart from FF and APS-C that is) but I can't quite convince myself it is a strong enough reason.
05-25-2014, 06:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's good advice Christine, thanks.
05-25-2014, 10:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Voted off the NEX.

It's less stable as a system with Sony being all over the place with their camera system commits.
It's also not as strong a native lens line up compared to the fuji.
The fuji is about right with just 3-4 nice native lenses.
I dislike the xpro1 though as a camera from my own trial of that and XE1.

05-25-2014, 11:35 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
I think you should sell the Fujifilm X Pro 1, the Sony NEX 6, the Pentax Q system and the Fuji X100.
Also considering that small and light doesn't really bother you.

Note:
Perhaps if the new Fuji X30 be have a 1 inch sensor might be something interesting when you don't like going with the DSLR equipment and the Fuji X100s is limited on certain scenario given the single focal length.
05-26-2014, 12:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would just keep one mirrorless. The Fuji and the Q interest me the most. Fuji has some great lenses. The Q is not only affordable for a complete kit, but the new wide angle takes nice shots.
05-26-2014, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #7

Buy a k-01 and get rid of everything else except your canon.

05-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for participating guys/gals the process has begun on a local forum with the NEX 6 but the low balling and negative remarks may just force me to keep everything *lol* ...i may force my nephews to accept them

The poll closes in a few days but i am surprised how close the NEX 6 and Xpro 1 are, the reason i got both but i too am biased towards the X pro1 because of the dials vs going thru the menus, old fashion i suppose.
05-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
okay i had enough of trying to be a seller...i am just going to keep it all, box it all and toss it in the garage...i am just NOT the "seller" type

...but i really do appreciate all the sound advice.
05-28-2014, 09:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
okay i had enough of trying to be a seller...i am just going to keep it all, box it all and toss it in the garage...i am just NOT the "seller" type
You do expect to take a small loss every time you sell something, don't you? You know, sell it a little below its supposed value? Price it so if you were shopping you'd want to buy it right away, because it's a good deal - one that stands out from the others. This takes most of the pain out of the process. Plus it's fun to know you're giving someone else a slightly good deal, just like you like to get yourself.

Besides this, you know if you put it in the garage it'll depreciate much more than what you'll lose by selling it for a little under its value. After all, it's a camera, not a lens! Plus someone else could be putting it to good use if you sell it.

Anytime I can't sell a good piece of camera gear within about 3 days (often the same day) I know I'm doing something wrong. I don't enjoy drawing out the process either, and doing so doesn't seem to benefit anyone (buyer or seller). If you price it slightly low the good buyers are likely to come out, and pretty soon you'll have an offer reasonable enough that you can negotiate and make the sale. Unless it's a rare or special item, don't ever expect to get what it's worth, but get something close enough to that. The small loss is just the cost of doing business, or the cost of the hobby, or the worthwhile cost of having had the privilege of using the item for all that time.

Last edited by DSims; 05-28-2014 at 09:36 PM.
05-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Everything was marked 50% less than lowest printed current retail value. Take for example my former 7D was sold for $500 last year only one person whom it was sold to didn't bother to constantly low ball me, it included as stated the oem vertical grip 4 oem batteries, oem dual charger and a crumpler bag. I think i gave good value

I expect to take a lost just not a beating *lol*
05-29-2014, 01:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Everything was marked 50% less than lowest printed current retail value. Take for example my former 7D was sold for $500 last year only one person whom it was sold to didn't bother to constantly low ball me, it included as stated the oem vertical grip 4 oem batteries, oem dual charger and a crumpler bag. I think i gave good value

I expect to take a lost just not a beating *lol*
Well, I haven't sold non-Pentax gear recently, so perhaps I don't realize how bad it can be other places. But of course there's always eBay. Let the bidders decide - they usually get the price reasonably high at the end.

But people on the marketplace here are pretty well informed, so they know what items are worth, even if they can barely afford to pay for it. For whatever reason, I've had a very minimal amount of "lowball" offers given to me in my life, regardless of what I'm selling. I don't even like that term - it implies the other person did something wrong. They have the right to offer whatever they want. And I have the right to say yes, or no, or counter-offer. It's that simple. I can just tell them what's reasonable in my mind, and then they can decide what to do. If they really want it, they'll find the money and make a reasonable offer - otherwise we both realize they can't afford it. If my asking price is reasonable I usually have enough interested people (it only takes 1 or 2) who are reasonable as well. So typically there's not much time before someone else buys it anyway. And like I said, if I can't sell it in 1-3 days I've probably asked to much in the first place, or somehow advertised it very poorly or to a poor audience.
06-02-2014, 06:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There seems to be no value for them, people are asking for my XP1 for $200?!

So into "The garage" they go
06-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Sell them all and come back to mirrorless in 5 years.

Mirrorless has a lot of ground to cover. They are moving but I think my list will take 5 years.

1. Make EVF as good as OVF (visually, not feature wise, feature wise, it's better today)
2. Get a life. Battery life that is. I think only the GH4 has anything approaching semi pro battery life.
3. Tracking AF as good as top DSLR
3a. Fix the EVF blackout
4. Make the darn things as responsive as dlsr's in all ways.
4a When I turn a dial, the settings should change as fast as I spin the dial
4b If you're going to insist of focus by wire, make it not suck
06-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

There seems to be no value for them, people are asking for my XP1 for $200?!
Put it up on eBay. They're actually selling for around $600 (body only) right now in the auctions. Let the bidders bring the price up to the fair market value.