I believe I did not post this one here :

05-05-2017, 10:11 AM - 2 Likes   #1532
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I believe I did not post this one here :
Love that one! Good to see that you did come over here, we appreciate your squirrels....and you too! As many as you want to post are always welcome here!

Regards!

Short story......This is a little Newbie guy and he is a born "Jumper". He likes to jump from spot to spot all day long, it seems to thrill him. There is a limb that hangs near the fence and he jumps back and forth to the fence...and back.... all day long. I marked down every time I saw him jump it yesterday...47 times....and I wasn't even here all day!

Sort of reminds me of when we were kids and first got brave enough to jump off the high-dive board at the local pool. We hit the water and were out lickity-split and up the stairs to do it again, over and over.

Fun little guys to watch....he looks a lot like a young Otis.....probably with good reason?

"I bet I can jump over the moon.....if Mommy will let me stay up late enough!"
05-05-2017, 12:21 PM - 2 Likes   #1533
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Rupert, your guy is kind of fat for a teen. You must be feeding them well

Morning, she knocks on the door

05-05-2017, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #1534
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Rupert, your guy is kind of fat for a teen. You must be feeding them well
These are the most well fed squirrels on earth Micro! I have raccoons that come at night to eat and they have to carry each other over here with a forklift! I hate to see anyone or any animal hungry!

Morning, she knocks on the door
I'm betting she is not asking if those cats can come out and play?

"If you are just half tired...."

"Just take half a rest!"

Regards!

05-05-2017, 02:35 PM   #1535
Pentaxian

My cats accepted squirrels as pets. Seriously, they ignore them as a prey. Once I opened the door, and my cat and the squirrel were running to me together. Pretty soon squirrels will run on cat's backs.

Last edited by photolady95; 05-05-2017 at 02:36 PM. Reason: fixed typo
05-05-2017, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #1536
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My cats accepted squirrels as pets. Seriously, they ignore them as a prey. Once I opened the door, and my cat and the squirrel were running to me together. Pretty soon squirrels will run on cat's backs.
That is strange, but strange things happen with animals. Do you remember my Big Chicken? He was fierce at going after stray cats and would launch a full attack on them. Squirrels? Nope, he would just walk right past them as if they were little chicks. Squirrels loved him, he gave them great protection.
I have a shot somewhere if I can ever find it of a feed bowl in my shop where I walked in one night to find a raccoon, possum, and cat all sharing in the meal side by side. You just never know......

Regards!
05-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #1537

I'm going to America later this month and would like to join the Frenzy! Are they common over there? Where will I see them? I'm going to the West Coast and then to Maine. Cheers everyone!

05-06-2017, 09:37 AM   #1538
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bessa-66 Quote
I'm going to America later this month and would like to join the Frenzy! Are they common over there? Where will I see them? I'm going to the West Coast and then to Maine. Cheers everyone!
Not sure how to answer that question? We used to have a "Squirrel Frenzy" every year where people could post their squirrel shots and view the shots of others. It's been a few years since we had one, and this thread is a good substitute.

About the WSSA here: WORLDWIDE SQUIRREL SHOOTERS ASSOCIATION | Flickr

Click on "PHOTOS" at the top and view all the submissions.

For a live Frenzy, you'd have to come to my place or maybe Photolady's place where there is a Squirrel Frenzy 7 days a week!

You are welcome to come visit Otis Squirrel...he says just bring 100# of roasted peanuts and a truckload of cold beer!

Squirrels must be getting "stylish" around here? Looks like this one just got himself a new "Presidential" haircut!

Best regards! & I hope you have a great visit here. If you pass through Texas be sure and PM me....if you are close, lunch or dinner is on me!
05-06-2017, 09:51 AM   #1539
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if you are asking where you can find squirrels to photograph the answer is where can't you.

if you are in an area with trees, you could have squirrels
05-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #1540
Veteran Member

I seldom agree with this guy but I read him every day
apropos to this thread's topic I give you...

Terrierman's Daily Dose: When Clicker Training Goes Wrong.
05-06-2017, 11:14 AM   #1541
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Most squirrels wait by the side of the roads and run in front of your car at the last second. Otherwise, they will be in parks, college campuses, climbing along telephone lines, bird feeders. Pretty much everywhere around here.
05-06-2017, 01:39 PM   #1542
Veteran Member

squirrels in one form or another are almost everywhere

if I had to guess, I would say wooded urban areas will have more squirrels per acre ( newer towns will be about 144 blocks per square mile...so 640 acres divided by 144 blocks=4.44 acres per block, subtract the roadways and it is supposed to end up somewhere closer to 3 acres per block) than anywhere else

we have two nests with four adults and about five babies right now on our block
suburban and rural areas will tend to be less densely populated and squirrels can be great travelers

so all that said...you should see lots of squirrels
05-06-2017, 04:10 PM   #1543
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
Yep, and keep your pants legs tied tight at your ankles!

Regards!...I look out now and count 17 squirrels...but it's a slow day on Saturday and most of them are down at the creek skinny dipping and getting drunk.
05-06-2017, 08:13 PM   #1544

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Not sure how to answer that question? We used to have a "Squirrel Frenzy" every year where people could post their squirrel shots and view the shots of others. It's been a few years since we had one, and this thread is a good substitute

Best regards! & I hope you have a great visit here. If you pass through Texas be sure and PM me....if you are close, lunch or dinner is on me!
Hi Rupert, I thought it was still going! I should have clarified- I'm form Australia,and we have possums instead, which come out at night and make a big racket! I don't think I'm passing through Texas, but I'll let you know if I end up down there! Thanks

---------- Post added 05-06-17 at 08:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
squirrels in one form or another are almost everywhere

if I had to guess, I would say wooded urban areas will have more squirrels per acre ( newer towns will be about 144 blocks per square mile...so 640 acres divided by 144 blocks=4.44 acres per block, subtract the roadways and it is supposed to end up somewhere closer to 3 acres per block) than anywhere else

we have two nests with four adults and about five babies right now on our block
suburban and rural areas will tend to be less densely populated and squirrels can be great travelers

Thanks for the advice! Here in Oz, we have possums instead and they're nocturnal! Love making a racket though, that's for sure

---------- Post added 05-06-17 at 08:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Most squirrels wait by the side of the roads and run in front of your car at the last second. Otherwise, they will be in parks, college campuses, climbing along telephone lines, bird feeders. Pretty much everywhere around here.
Ha! And I thought driving on the wrong side of the road was a worry 😂😂 I'll look out for them!
05-06-2017, 09:28 PM - 1 Like   #1545
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

We have possums here too.