Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3077 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2017, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #1876
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The box is made with 3/4" cedar boards. I've made a couple of other boxes and the squirrels live in them.
Maybe I'll take the cedar chips out and just add more dried leaves.
Here's a box I made last year:

Attached Images

11-04-2017, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #1877
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blumoon722 Quote
That is so neat! ...and what a neat shot you got too! Great idea......I'm with Photolady.....forget the cedar chips, just go with the leaves!

You guys/girls are really doing a great job of keeping this thread active...and Otis and his Army of Squirrels send their sincere appreciation for your efforts!

So does Jumper the Squirrel!

Regards!
11-04-2017, 09:19 AM   #1878
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Good to see you back in this thread, Rupert. I've been reading the infamous "why I won't buy a K-3" thread, keeping an eye on what's up with your health.

My squirrels are back in full this month. I saw five of them yesterday. And they've learned off brand peanut butter tastes as good as Jif.
11-04-2017, 05:49 PM   #1879
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Good to see you back in this thread, Rupert. I've been reading the infamous "why I won't buy a K-3" thread, keeping an eye on what's up with your health.

My squirrels are back in full this month. I saw five of them yesterday. And they've learned off brand peanut butter tastes as good as Jif.
Thanks Photolady! Then you know my condition is pretty awful for the long term.....which in fact may not be all that long. But......I am going to enjoy every minute of what I have left that I can!
My squirrels are all back too...Otis is still in the Caribbean but will be back next week I am told. Meanwhile, squirrels are going like crazy here......that Jumper is a real "rounder" and gets into everything. Peanut butter coming up for them on Monday when the weather is supposed to be perfect!

Regards!

11-04-2017, 05:56 PM   #1880
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great idea......I'm with Photolady.....forget the cedar chips, just go with the leaves!

I took your advice and removed all the leaves and cedar chips.
I put some great smelling timothy hay in. It looked pretty comfy.
I'll let you know if any squirrels move in.
11-04-2017, 06:18 PM   #1881
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I like that box also, I should show my father he his a good at building things like that. He feeds the squirrels in his back yard every day. they come right up and take peanuts right from him then run off to eat or hide them. A few minutes later they come right back.

I think of this thread every time I see a squirrel, some people get some really good detailed shots.
11-05-2017, 06:56 PM   #1882
Pentaxian

The box is made with 3/4" cedar boards. I've made a couple of other boxes and the squirrels live in them.
Maybe I'll take the cedar chips out and just add more dried leaves.
Did you get plans from somewhere, or did you just build it?

How large is that hole that two little guys can fit in at the same time?

11-06-2017, 05:41 AM   #1883
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Did you get plans from somewhere, or did you just build it?
Got the basic plan here: http://www.wildlifecenter.org/sites/default/files/PDFs/Nestbox/Gray%20and%20...ox%20Plans.pdf
If you do a search for squirrel nest box, you can find other plans.
I added the steps on the sides to give them something to grab onto.

How large is that hole that two little guys can fit in at the same time?
3" hole
11-06-2017, 12:50 PM - 2 Likes   #1884
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the peanut
Attached Images

11-06-2017, 03:32 PM   #1885
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll let you know if any squirrels move in.
I don't think they'll be moving in today
Attached Images

11-06-2017, 06:24 PM   #1886
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That is a great shot blumoon. Maybe the cat is thinking of squeezing into it.
11-07-2017, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #1887
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hope the cat doesn't go in, you might be breaking a box open to get the cat out.

Got this one this morning, he looked like "Oliver" in that he seemed to be asking, "Sir, can I have more."

11-07-2017, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #1888
Pentaxian

I went over to the small college where I take squirrel pictures sometimes. Usually I can find one or two or three. Today, wherever I looked there were several, even though they weren't close enough to get more than one at a time.

Some of them were quite busy - they know that cold, unpleasant weather will be here soon

But many of them stopped to inquire "How's Rupert doing?? {I don't quite trust SNN}"

* SNN =Squirrel News Network

And, then there was this character, who snapped to attention as soon as the destination of these pictures became known

11-09-2017, 09:40 AM   #1889
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

reh321, those are some nice looking squirrels you have at the college. I assume they have lots to eat since most them are quiet healthy looking.

Here's one from today. I haven't processed the rest I photographed but will over the next few days.

11-09-2017, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #1890
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Went out to the park with my Fuji S5700 and bribes again - and got one very bold squirrel who came within a couple of feet before he got skittish:

While I was there I tried bribing some other park denizens - it turns out that they are also suckers for fruit and nuts:

I've been seeing occasional parakeets for the last couple of years, there's been a bit of a population explosion, but at one point there were about twenty in view, and I had one on my head, two on my arms, and another on my shoulder.

It's interesting that the two animals that interest me most in the park are both invasive non-native species - the squirrels in London are the North American species, Britain's native squirrels are now VERY rare and only seen in Scotland.