Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2014, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #1
Banned

Super compact Full Frame E-mount to be anounced at Photokina

QuoteQuote:
Keep your feet and hopes on ground. This one comes form a new anonymous source so take it with a grain of salt. The sources said Sony will launch one new Full Frame E-mount camera at Photokina. And it will not be an A9 or other A7 series camera. It will be a Full Frame NEX-5 alike camera with no built-in EVF and priced very low (close to $1,000). The interesting thing of such a news is that this would be the cheapest Full Frame camera ever released and at $1,000 ( or little above) it would start to compete and eventually eat up the APS-C market share. And it would be the tiniest FF camera ever made too!
(FT2) Super compact Full Frame E-mount to be anounced at Photokina. | sonyalpharumors

They should put the pop-up EVF in it like the new RX100 III.

06-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Glad to see Sony is throwing as much mud on the wall as they can. Something will stick. One of my biggest complaints about the NEX line is that its too small for my hands. I wish the A7 line was taller so I could get more of a grip on it. I have not tried the accessory grip. I don't have really big hands, but they started to cramp up after a few hours of shooting with the NEX-7 last year. I had the same issue trying out the Fuji X-E2. Glad to see more FF MILC on the market. For people who shoot casually its probably not an issue.
06-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Meanwhile, Pentax has yet to decide if they want to go...

06-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I was wondering how the counter people at the camera stores made up their mind as to what Sony they want to sell. After all, there are so many models. I asked the guy at Camera World in Portland (official Sony dealer) what they had in stock and he said "nothing", but they could order anything. A couple of weeks later I was in Best Buy (also official Sony dealer) and noticed that they had none of the high-end stuff on display. A week after that I was in Pro Photo Supply (also official Sony dealer) and they had an a7 and a7r in the case, but nothing else.

I guess that answers the question. The store's buyers are not procuring the full line, at least not here in Portland.

BTW...Interesting camera in the OP. It is way too small for my hands, but interesting none-the-less.

Steve

06-03-2014, 10:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was at Sony store trying out A7, A6000, RX1 and RX100M3 for the first time. I have got to say, the buttons feel awful and placement is all over the places from camera to camera. The grips are mostly too small for the size of the camera plus lens, even though I only have medium size hand. My hand was already cramping from using each camera about 15 min or so each even though I can use a Q all day... Tiny EVF feel like it's going to poke my eyes out if I'm not careful. I like their cameras on paper but they really need to balance out various aspects of ergonomics.

edit: making the body smaller really doesn't work when the glasses have to be certain size (and therefore weight)

Last edited by ruggiex; 06-04-2014 at 07:54 AM.
06-03-2014, 11:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Why a super compact FF camera, and not super compact lenses? And... $1000? Why on Earth would they undercut their already cheapest cameras? I don't buy it.
By the way, what's with the FT2 rating, "Fake/Trolling level 2"?
06-04-2014, 06:20 AM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Why a super compact FF camera, and not super compact lenses? And... $1000? Why on Earth would they undercut their already cheapest cameras? I don't buy it.
36mp full frame A7r with super compact 35mm wide angle lens :

click here for Original (4912 x 7360) image from A7r & 35mm FE lens

06-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Sony has always been a mass marketer, that's their primary target since the current P&S line up (which use to be the most lucrative pre- smartphone/tablet era) has declined theyre trying to regain those revenues. (imo)
06-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love seeing new Sony camera releases even if I'll never buy one. Nothing against them. I'm satisfied with my K-30 for now. The joy in the product releases is seeing all the sensor technology that will one day trickle down into a Pentax body!
06-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #10

They almost had more lenses then bodies for a minute there!
06-05-2014, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bibz Quote
Careful, Joe will soon link you the photo where there is like a bajillion Sony lenses in one setting.
06-05-2014, 07:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bibz Quote
06-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #13
Banned

Original Poster
Sony has more APS-C and full frame lenses than Pentax. This is too easy.