Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2014, 08:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Twice the gloat, twice the fun?

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Still far more than I expected. I didn't think they were going to improve the fundamental sensor; the last time we saw an improvement in noise was 2010!

Kudos to Sony, look forward to seeing the tech on other sensors...

06-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Here's some 'proof' that they work

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/247282-pentax-lenses-ff-club-new-post.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/246917-does-my-m42-...ploration.html

Between the A7 and R, I prefer the A7 as I need the RFC (electronic first curtain) for fast shutter response for street/candid/people/kids.
I also prefer the lower pixel density for easier processing and management.
The other benefit to that is lower chance of CA and better edges (w/o a need to downsample )
24mp to me is plenty.
I print only up to A3+ on my own printer.

I've mentioned about the pros/cons/irritations of the A7 in various posts (as well as the usability since the picts speak for themselves), so I won't mention them here again.
Hi. I guess you're another on a similar, or maybe complementary wavelength to my own, pinholecam, re: the sometimes purported 'must-have' qualities of the A7R. The not-slick aspects of the 'R' in the field do give me pause, given the body's high cost. But different folks have different needs... or, at least, think they do. I'll check out your previous posts concerning the A7 in action for further edification. And thanks for numerous other enlightening observations and creative efforts here, which I've taken note of in the past, particularly seeing a down-to-earth good sense at play. I have to confess to some gear-head tendencies I try to keep reasonably in check! 😐😕😮😉

BTW, could you state, or briefly re-state, your bottom line experiences with other manufacturers' or legacy/vintage wide angle lens compatibilities and incompatibilities, adapted to the A7? Do you think any of this experience is generalizable to other current technology sensor packages in FF (or APS-C, for that matter) that might show up in the near and foreseeable future? Thanks! -- Fred
06-23-2014, 01:40 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
Hi. I guess you're another on a similar, or maybe complementary wavelength to my own, pinholecam, re: the sometimes purported 'must-have' qualities of the A7R. The not-slick aspects of the 'R' in the field do give me pause, given the body's high cost. But different folks have different needs... or, at least, think they do. I'll check out your previous posts concerning the A7 in action for further edification. And thanks for numerous other enlightening observations and creative efforts here, which I've taken note of in the past, particularly seeing a down-to-earth good sense at play. I have to confess to some gear-head tendencies I try to keep reasonably in check! 😐😕😮😉

BTW, could you state, or briefly re-state, your bottom line experiences with other manufacturers' or legacy/vintage wide angle lens compatibilities and incompatibilities, adapted to the A7? Do you think any of this experience is generalizable to other current technology sensor packages in FF (or APS-C, for that matter) that might show up in the near and foreseeable future? Thanks! -- Fred

Here is a short summary :
RF wides - CV12 (with vignetting, very little color cast); CV21/1.8; Leica WATE (these are the only three that really work w/o major issues from what I have tested and from info on many forums and websites)

SLR wides - generally no issues. Avoid lenses under 20mm. Generally, those under 20mm are a bit long in the tooth wrt lens design/ lack of aspherical elements/ coatings.
Many 17-19mm primes (of most brands) work, but don't expect very good corners or the last 1/8 of the edge.

The Samyang 14mm is one of the best options out there now.
Cheap, 14mm wide, good IQ, no issues on A7/r.

Canikon modern UWA zooms - no issues but big, heavy, expensive (kinda defeats the purpose imo)

RF wides are the ones which are so small that they should make sense on an A7, but unfortunately, most don't work well.

As for the sensor in the future...... who knows??
As can be seen, the higher pixel density is more punishing to legacy lenses on the edges and corners.
How much do ppl need? (or want?)
Curved sensors? (won't work well with current lenses)
Sensor stack (and Sony's choice of them)
IMO, its just a wait and see, since we are not in control of it.
The most that can be done is vote with your money and get the one you need (eg. 24mp vs 36mp)
06-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #19
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
be careful of those samyang/rokinon/ect 14mm primes, i had one that was decentered, didn't replace it when i sent it back.

i've seen a couple of threads where people had to go through four and five copies each, respectively, before getting a good one.

if you can get a good one, it looks great after distortion correction, but the q.c. is horrible.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1292491

06-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I'd be concerned about taking a big hit reselling the A7R down the line,
I'd say that's a good call.

Read what long time Sony user David Kilpatrick writes

"You may wonder why we’ve pretty much given up reporting on new Sony products. Despite running three photographic magazines, we can’t easily get hold of review samples as all three magazines are professional or enthusiast market only. I’ve now run out of money and can’t afford to buy any of the new cameras or lenses, as the rate at which they have been released and the price levels make this difficult, and the dramatic collapse in secondhand values has clobbered my recent workround of buying-testing-selling. Things like the 28-70mm FE OSS lens for the A7 are worth almost nothing (under £200 used even from a UK dealer now) and most gear is losing 35-40% of its launch month value within two or three months. Also, the performance of much of this kit tends to be flawed or just not that impressive. It’s really hard to justify spending thousands on Sony gear which then turns out to be very ordinary, when companies like Olympus, Fujfilm, Nikon and Canon only need an email or a phone call to send test kit out just as soon as it’s available."

Sony A7S gets silent shutter upgrade | Photoclubalpha
06-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
I'd say that's a good call.

Read what long time Sony user David Kilpatrick writes

"You may wonder why we’ve pretty much given up reporting on new Sony products. Despite running three photographic magazines, we can’t easily get hold of review samples as all three magazines are professional or enthusiast market only. I’ve now run out of money and can’t afford to buy any of the new cameras or lenses, as the rate at which they have been released and the price levels make this difficult, and the dramatic collapse in secondhand values has clobbered my recent workround of buying-testing-selling. Things like the 28-70mm FE OSS lens for the A7 are worth almost nothing (under £200 used even from a UK dealer now) and most gear is losing 35-40% of its launch month value within two or three months. Also, the performance of much of this kit tends to be flawed or just not that impressive. It’s really hard to justify spending thousands on Sony gear which then turns out to be very ordinary, when companies like Olympus, Fujfilm, Nikon and Canon only need an email or a phone call to send test kit out just as soon as it’s available."

Sony A7S gets silent shutter upgrade | Photoclubalpha
Interesting quote. I think Kilpatrick has good justification here. And Sony should really step up their game in the area of providing review samples!

So perhaps it's even worse with Sony, but I'd think one would have that idea in mind anyway, since depreciation is so rapid on any brand. In all cases you should have an immediate use or need for the camera before investing the money. Even if the purchase is 100% for hobbyist use, you'd better put it to work within the first month or so!
10-06-2014, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #22
ACG
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by innivus Quote
I'm curious if anyone has any opinions/experience with old K series glass on the a7/a7r... something like the K28/3.5, or K35/3.5, etc. Since these lenses are already manual focus, losing autofocus shouldn't be a huge problem, right?
Hi. I have a large collection of Pentax legacy glass which I use with my a7r.
I am absolutely delighted with the following.
Smc k 28 3.5
Smc k 35 3.5
Smc m 20 4
Smc m 50 1.7

The resolution and rendering of the 28 and 35 in particular, is outstanding. I can't differentiate IQ between the 35 3.5 and the Sony Zeiss fe 35 2.8.

I have posted reviews for the 20 and 28.

I have a 24-35 3.5 due to arrive in the post!!

A grey

10-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #23
ACG
Forum Member

I think the main concerns pertinent to this deliberation have been referenced here already, so I won't speculate further on the two model comparison. But I'll be the odd man out saying my personal inclination -- that is, for myself -- would be to go conservative, grab a sweet deal on an A7, and revisit the super high rez realm when Sony gets its act together properly on a 36mp model.

I'd be concerned about taking a big hit reselling the A7R down the line, particularly if a refined version hits the streets at a price appealingly lower than the A7R's original retail ticket. That would make some sense for Sony; I think they know now they have a nice niche market out there for a D800/D5 Mk III alternative. The 36mp examples in the field now just go second-hand into the "second tier" market, maybe in fairly short order -- like ex-greatest thing iPads -- when the time is right. Prospective second owners of A7's will probably have fewer qualms about taking the plunge for the foreseeable future. But it's your money...

BTW, I would not put THAT much faith in current A7R owners' rosey appraisals collectively. It's common knowledge in the business schools and in cognitive research that there's a self-rationalization effect going on in typical online ratings, particularly with high ticket items involved, that skews these reports and rankings significantly. Personally, I'd not be surprised to see many of these very well satisfied A7R owners crowing again, sooner than you might expect, about how much better their new A7R II is, to some comic effect. Of course, the NEX 7 has become rather long in the tooth by conventional standards, while Sony tries this... and tries that. With Sony, predictions are kind of tough to make.
Hi,

10 months into owning an a7r and the smile on my face gets bigger every day. It's not just the resolution, it's the dynamic range. The recovery from highlights and shadows is remarkable. It blows my Fuji x100 out of the water.

Buy an a7r. Stick on a Pentax smc k28 f3.5 and go out and shoot some landscapes and you will be truly amazed.
10-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #24
Pentaxian

How is white balance in the raw file? I've used a NEX-6 for ages now, and have had to modify white balance a lot more than I think I probably should have to. Often, the files are 500-1000K too cool.
10-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #25
ACG
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
How is white balance in the raw file? I've used a NEX-6 for ages now, and have had to modify white balance a lot more than I think I probably should have to. Often, the files are 500-1000K too cool.
Hi,
To be honest, I always shoot in raw and convert either with dxo pro 7 or lr 5. White balance is something that I rarely adjust.

I have never shot jpegs on the a7r other than panoramas and I have had no issues with the balance achieved with the auto settings.

Hope this helps