Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2014, 05:24 AM   #16
Banned

Original Poster
The Camera Store TV : Sony A7S Hands-On Field Test

QuoteQuote:
Sony continues advancing its innovative series of full frame A7 cameras, with the new A7S, which is optimized for low light and video shooters. Is this camera the new king of the low light throne?

06-27-2014, 09:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder if better photos will be taken in 2014 than in 2012 or 2008, or 1972? More low light capable is good for some types of photography for sure.

If it allows another "natural light" photographer to shoot in even flatter crappier light rather than resorting to flash to properly light a photo, what's the point?
06-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
If it allows another "natural light" photographer to shoot in even flatter crappier light rather than resorting to flash to properly light a photo, what's the point?
Sports, journalism, reportage and night time photos, indoor photos, travel photos, museum photos, wildlife/animal photography.. lots of uses
The problem with "will the photos be better" is the criteria. They are easier to share and edit, have more resolution, less noise, can be taken in lower light.. but of course, that is not all there is to a photo. The question is, how will the photographers use this, will they use it to its full potential, will it allow things that were impossible in the past. The answer is.. hopefully
08-21-2014, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #19
Banned

Original Poster
Sony a7S used to shoot Chevrolet commercial

QuoteQuote:
Film industry accessory manufacturer Cinoflex was recently tasked with rigging up a new Sony a7S mirrorless camera for use on a Chevrolet commercial. After some testing, the Cinoflex Type SA7S Camera System was created to allow the filmmakers to attach the necessary range of auxiliary equipment needed on a high budget commercial shoot.

The a7S features a full-frame sensor which is much larger than the Super 35 sized sensors found in typical high-end digital video cameras like the Red Epic or the Arri Alexa, two of the cameras that you would normally expect to find on such a project. The larger sensor, coupled with the low 12.2MP pixel count, gives the a7S excellent low light performance, a claimed 15.3 stop dynamic range and a maximum ISO setting of 409,600.

'Our specific tests we're focused on lens fall-off and sensor reaction. The dynamic range was also very surprising, great tonal rendition in the shadows...Truly a WOW camera for the quality of the sensor' said Cinoflex.

Whilst Sony designed the 4K capable a7S with video in mind, there's always considerable ergonomic challenges to overcome when you want to incorporate such a small camera into a professional shoot. The Type SA7S rig creates a solid platform behind the camera that has allowed Cinoflex to add a large Anton Bauer battery pack, as well as wireless controls for focusing the enormous Nikon 600mm f/4 lens. Since the a7S only features an HDMI output for the video feed, and most professional on-set equipment uses HD-SDI, the rig is also fitted with an HDMI to HD-SDI converter.
Sony a7S used to shoot Chevrolet commercial: Digital Photography Review

08-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #20
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
wow! lol
08-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a hydraulic log splitter.
08-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #22

Photos: Albums
There is an absurd irony in the world's smallest interchangeable lens 35 mm camera being strapped to such an enormous Rube Goldberg contraption.

I hope Sony puts this sensor in a less half-arsed VG900 successor, that would make a lot more sense than that abomination...*

*I do not dispute that the rig serves a legitimate, practical purpose, I am merely bemused that a tiny consumer device is deemed the most suitable tool for professional video production.

08-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #23
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jens Lyn IV Quote
There is an absurd irony in the world's smallest interchangeable lens 35 mm camera being strapped to such an enormous Rube Goldberg contraption.

I hope Sony puts this sensor in a less half-arsed VG900 successor, that would make a lot more sense than that abomination...*

*I do not dispute that the rig serves a legitimate, practical purpose, I am merely bemused that a tiny consumer device is deemed the most suitable tool for professional video production.

Last edited by jogiba; 08-21-2014 at 12:46 PM.
08-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Quit it.
08-21-2014, 02:07 PM   #25
Banned

Original Poster
Sony A7s with night vision sensor !

QuoteQuote:
Everyone had been saying the just out Sony A7s is a low light monster of a camera. There was only way to find out. To try it out!

I had a think about what I could do that could show it off and blow people's socks off. After all if it could do what people were saying...

To be able to shoot at crazy high ISOs is not about just seeing in the dark, At times I am shooting "night for day" here and for the most part it's not something I would actually ever want do. I want night to be dark....but doing this here really does show just how much the sensor can see.