Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #16
Forum Member

Gee, did you really have to show me that?
I'm sure that's not the most effective way to compare each company in the market, but does give some reflection of how much brand recognition pentax is getting in overall

07-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Advertising dollars
Well...ummm...perhaps Ricoh should advertise more.

Or the alternative is we can continue complaining how websites treat Pentax unfairly instead of complaining that Ricoh doesnt know how to get their products in front of consumers faces.
07-20-2014, 09:07 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Google search results :

stevebrot : 34,800 results

jogiba : 17,500 results

Steve

(...and I don't even sell televisions or clock radios...)

(...not that it means anything...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-20-2014 at 09:17 PM.
07-20-2014, 10:05 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Pentax make the best APS-C camera there's ever been and they get ignored. Canon make all their APS-C cameras using a sensor that's four years old and they sell like hotcakes. I think we can make two conclusions.

People are ignorant.
It's all about the advertising $$$.

07-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dyoon153 Quote
I'm sure that's not the most effective way to compare each company in the market, but does give some reflection of how much brand recognition pentax is getting in overall
Far from the most effective way.

I mean, for Nikon? Probably. Canon? Maybe. Sony? Hahahaha. The first link I have, after the Sony Store one, is for a news article on "Sony's walkman makes a comeback", and most of the other links on my first page are related to Sony Xperia phones, Sony Music, and Sony Pictures. They're a far too diverse company to use Google search for just the company name as a metric of camera market penetration/camera-related brand recognition.

(Or, to put it another way: searching for Samsung gives me "[a]bout 460,000,000 results". How often do you see someone using a Samsung camera that isn't their smartphone?)

Last edited by g026r; 07-21-2014 at 10:51 AM.
07-21-2014, 04:31 AM   #21
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

stevebrot : 34,800 results

jogiba : 17,500 results

Steve

(...and I don't even sell televisions or clock radios...)

(...not that it means anything...)

jogibajr YouTube channel statistics - StatSheep
07-21-2014, 05:59 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think it should matter how big a company Ricoh/Pentax is, how much they spend on advertising. An unbiased magazine should treat them on equal footing with the big players and if they have a camera body that matches up well against others, say so. In addition to just being honest, this pressures Canon and Nikon to up their game.

Really strange though that they do compare this camera to such old Canon and Nikon cameras, as well. Maybe an article written by Rip Van Winkle?

07-21-2014, 07:34 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I agree with the OP. I'm a long time subscriber to Pop Photo and I was very disappointed with that same article. I'm also finding that many of their how to articles seem to invariably use one of the Canon 5D (11/111) models as the camera in use.

Magazines need to remember that although advertising dollars are important...they also need to ensure that they don't alienate their subscribers with a one make focus. If media lose subscribers lose due to an imbalance in editorial....they will also experience a loss in demographics.

Media sales for advertising are dependent on the sales people being able to tell potential advertisers how many subscribers/readers read the media. When readership numbers go down......demographics are affected and advertising rates go down.

Not a way to run a successful business.
07-21-2014, 07:59 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Really strange though that they do compare this camera to such old Canon and Nikon cameras, as well.
It's not strange at all. That's how you can stack the results to make sure you have a clear winner. And perhaps that is why they ignored using a K3 in the comparison too.
07-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Sony is not the only manufacturer making high end APS-C, but I do agree comparing the the Sony with the 7d and D300 as far as AF is concerned. Pentax doesn't really cater to sports shooters the way Nikon, Canon and to a lesser extent Sony does. Meaning excellent AF and native lenses that cover the required lengths and focus quickly.

Leave out the AF part and the K3 is a stellar camera and is at the top of the APS-C heap.

Last edited by RyanW; 07-21-2014 at 10:09 AM.
07-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I agree with the OP. I'm a long time subscriber to Pop Photo and I was very disappointed with that same article. I'm also finding that many of their how to articles seem to invariably use one of the Canon 5D (11/111) models as the camera in use.

Magazines need to remember that although advertising dollars are important...they also need to ensure that they don't alienate their subscribers with a one make focus. If media lose subscribers lose due to an imbalance in editorial....they will also experience a loss in demographics.

Media sales for advertising are dependent on the sales people being able to tell potential advertisers how many subscribers/readers read the media. When readership numbers go down......demographics are affected and advertising rates go down.

Not a way to run a successful business.
Exactly. When a significant amount of your business/sales is related to testing, you'd better be perceived as relatively impartial. Otherwise your readership will dry up and those advertisers you have been catering will stop advertising.
07-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote

Ya got me beat! I submit! I don't do video and am totally vanquished!

http://www.statsheep.com/jogibajr/videos/Most_Viewed

Steve

---------- Post added 07-21-14 at 10:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
It's not strange at all. That's how you can stack the results to make sure you have a clear winner. And perhaps that is why they ignored using a K3 in the comparison too.
I can imagine the break room conversation...

"I started my A77 II review evaluation this week and to be honest, I don't see any way to make this camera stand out. I mean, it is a nice unit, but is...well...you know...sort of..."
(colleague interrupts...)
"You mean that it is not that much different than the three year old product it is replacing and that the A77, good as it is, is getting sort of long-in-the-tooth?"
"Yeah, you nailed it! It is a great camera and I like it, but it is not a standout in any way for its market segment. It also doesn't help that the original did not exactly break any sales records despite its unique features. I guess I could gush that they have finally opted for a standard hot-shoe."
"Well, you could always just compare it to the same models as the original review* we did back in 2011. Most of the points of comparison are still valid. It may even be that readers won't notice that Sony dropped the GPS."
"Gotcha! Thanks for the advice!"

Steve

* The original review did indeed compare to the 7D and D300s.

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-21-2014 at 11:15 AM.
07-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #28
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AtitG Quote
I wonder what makes the sony a77 II more "high-end" compared to the pentax k-3, nikon D7100 and canon 70d.
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Advertising dollars
Exactly!
07-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Is the 70D better than the 7D? I would've said the 7D is Canon's top APS-C camera, and it *was* intro'd 5 years ago. It'd be suprising to me if it stayed till the end of the year.

Who knows though. Maybe Canon's plan is continuously-cheaper 6D's.
07-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #30
Pentaxian

The August issue of Shutterbug lists the best cameras of 2014 and this years TIPA awards. The K3 is listed as the Best Expert DSLR of the year so the camera isn't being ignored. I do agree that for the most part, most of the press seems to ignore everything except Canon and Nikon and only mention Pentax grudgingly.