Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-05-2014, 07:58 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

A couple of interesting visitors

A pair of V-22 Ospreys came to call yesterday. Second photo shows one on final as the first taxis past the ANG ramp. Last photo shows one as he completed a low high speed pass prior to turning on course. NEX-6 + Kiron MC7 + SMC Pentax-M 50/1.4.

08-05-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Shot #4 is my favorite!
08-05-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Very cool! Was it following the taxi line in the hover in that 4th shot?

I got my first glimpse of a pair of them on Saturday while driving down the Columbia River gorge toward Portland. They were flying east down the river at somewhere around 2500 feet. Close enough to tell what they were, too far away to decern details. Exciting nonetheless. The railroad guys were like "meh".
08-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote

I got my first glimpse of a pair of them on Saturday while driving down the Columbia River gorge toward Portland. They were flying east down the river at somewhere around 2500 feet. Close enough to tell what they were, too far away to decern details. Exciting nonetheless. The railroad guys were like "meh".
"meh" was not my youngest sons reaction aboard one into Iraq. A matter of perspective.

08-05-2014, 09:20 AM   #5

Really liked the photos. Cool planes too.
08-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
Forum Member

Nice! The Osprey is such a cool aircraft to see. Might I suggest a much slower shutter speed next time for aircraft with propellers. Aerial shots tend to look better with a complete spinning disk instead of still blades. It makes it look like the aircraft is flying instead of falling out of the sky. A buddy of mine who specializes in Plane photography told me that is the key to making a good shot, great. I think he said you have to keep the shutter around 1/160 or so...might be much lower with the Osprey...big honkin' slow slow props. Remember...the tips of the blades can't go supersonic...unless you are in a Russian Bear.
08-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Shot #4 is my favorite!
Thanks.
QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
Thanks Jim. That's what he appeared to be doing, because he followed the yellow line pretty consistently.
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
"meh" was not my youngest sons reaction aboard one into Iraq. A matter of perspective.
Never been on one, but even several hundred feet away, you can feel the disturbance coming from those big props. It is always a pleasure to watch them when they come in, which is a few times a year.
QuoteOriginally posted by Hufseking Quote
Really liked the photos. Cool planes too.
Thanks. They are pretty awesome to watch operate.
QuoteOriginally posted by MBike74 Quote
Nice! The Osprey is such a cool aircraft to see. Might I suggest a much slower shutter speed next time for aircraft with propellers. Aerial shots tend to look better with a complete spinning disk instead of still blades. It makes it look like the aircraft is flying instead of falling out of the sky. A buddy of mine who specializes in Plane photography told me that is the key to making a good shot, great. I think he said you have to keep the shutter around 1/160 or so...might be much lower with the Osprey...big honkin' slow slow props. Remember...the tips of the blades can't go supersonic...unless you are in a Russian Bear.
Thanks. I'll keep your tip in mind.

08-06-2014, 09:43 AM   #8
Closed Account

Wow, I bet that was interesting to watch.
Those propellors in the first shot look like they're big enough to hit the plane !
nice shots !
08-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Wow, I bet that was interesting to watch.
Those propellors in the first shot look like they're big enough to hit the plane !
nice shots !
Thanks Michael. The props are indeed huge.
08-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We had a couple flying around here before an airshow last Memorial Day weekend.
The sound they make is unique, like a large helicopter but slower and louder.

Chris
08-06-2014, 04:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Awesome.
08-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
We had a couple flying around here before an airshow last Memorial Day weekend.
The sound they make is unique, like a large helicopter but slower and louder.

Chris
It is very unique, Chris, even more so when one did a low, high speed pass (or at least high speed for the V-22).
QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
Awesome.
They are fascinating to watch.

Thanks for looking and commenting, guys.