Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please help me find out what this is on the photo ... Fuji XE-2

I just realized that some funny little specks of light "stuff" are showing on some of my latest sunset images.
The "spots" are mostly found around the sun and a little farther out.
This is not seen at all on any of all of the other shots I have made with this camera, totalling about 800 images ... just this particular set with the sun head on, low on the horizon.
Lens used: FUJINON LENS XF18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Checked: no dust on lens nor inside element/inside camera.
I am enclosing a sample shot of the "problem".

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jpzk; 08-30-2015 at 07:11 PM.
08-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I'd guess it is dust on the lens that would only appear under harsh direct light at small apertures (for example, here).
08-06-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just a guess, but it looks like something is on or in the lens, maybe imperfections in the glass. They look like reflections. Hopefully somebody has a better explanation and there is no lens problem.
08-06-2014, 06:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
I'd guess it is dust on the lens that would only appear under harsh direct light at small apertures (for example, here).
Yes, very fine particles, possibly even mist.

08-06-2014, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another possibility is flying insects. You do not notice them by eye but often the camera will record the reflections off or through their wings. Zoom in and see if the spots look like there is any motion blur. @ 1/125 you might be able to see a track if they are moving perpendicular to the sensor.
08-06-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Just a guess, but it looks like something is on or in the lens, maybe imperfections in the glass. They look like reflections. Hopefully somebody has a better explanation and there is no lens problem.
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Yes, very fine particles, possibly even mist.
Thanks for the replies !

That's what I thought at first but I did checked the front and back lens elements, the sensor and there does not seem to be any dust anywhere.
On the other hand, there could well be some very very tiny specks (of dust) which are only showing during those conditions you mention.
I had to clone them out of one shot I posted here earlier (yesterday).
Very annoying.

What would be the best way to really and perfectly clean this lens and how make a couple of test shots before deciding if it is me (causing the dust - not cleaning the lens enough) or a lens defect?
As I mentioned earlier too, this is only happening with this kind of shot: direct sun during a sunset.

JP

JP
08-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another clue would be if the spots are in the same place in multiple images or not. If not, then whatever it is is not on the lens or sensor but out in front moving.

08-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Did you shoot this through a window in your house?
08-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Another possibility is flying insects. You do not notice them by eye but often the camera will record the reflections off or through their wings. Zoom in and see if the spots look like there is any motion blur. @ 1/125 you might be able to see a track if they are moving perpendicular to the sensor.
Great idea ... I am going to do this right away.
In the meantime, here is a screen shot showing three different shots of the same scene, cropped about the same sizes.
Seems like the spots are "all over the place", never in the same exact location(s).

Last edited by jpzk; 08-30-2015 at 07:11 PM.
08-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Another possibility is flying insects.
I am with jatrax. We see this all the time in our part of the world.

Steve
08-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Seems like the spots are "all over the place", never in the same exact location(s).
There you go then, its not on the lens. Next time you are out in a similar situation take a long exposure shot and I'll bet you will see the tracks as they fly about.

There was a TV show about this, I cannot remember which one, something about disproving mysteries or something. Anyway they had a bunch of video from different people with what looked like tiny UFO's zooming through. People were claiming to have recorded all kinds of things. They were able to prove it was nothing but flying insects zooming into the camera view and back out.
08-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am with jatrax. We see this all the time in our part of the world.

Steve
There you go then, its not on the lens. Next time you are out in a similar situation take a long exposure shot and I'll bet you will see the tracks as they fly about.

There was a TV show about this, I cannot remember which one, something about disproving mysteries or something. Anyway they had a bunch of video from different people with what looked like tiny UFO's zooming through. People were claiming to have recorded all kinds of things. They were able to prove it was nothing but flying insects zooming into the camera view and back out.
Great thanks to you people in addressing the situation.
I was about to send the lens to a pro cleaning job and start doing all sorts of "tests" to find out if the lens was defective.

Darn insects!

JP
08-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I had a similar situation when I took a an orange sunset pic with the sun before it went behind the horizon and when I enlarged a portion in lightroom I seen tiny black flecks and thought "How did I not notice so much dust on the lens?" Then as I enlarged the photo more I realized that far far in the background was an entire flock of birds. I could not see it but the camera sure did!
08-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I agree with sherrvonne. My bet is on a bunch of seagulls.
08-07-2014, 07:20 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
I had a similar situation when I took a an orange sunset pic with the sun before it went behind the horizon and when I enlarged a portion in lightroom I seen tiny black flecks and thought "How did I not notice so much dust on the lens?" Then as I enlarged the photo more I realized that far far in the background was an entire flock of birds. I could not see it but the camera sure did!
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I agree with sherrvonne. My bet is on a bunch of seagulls.
Why couldn't I figure that out myself, having been doing photography for quite some time now!

JP