Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2014, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
Amazing, but it's also an unrealistic scenario unless you set out to produce phart ala the one shot hdr "wonders" that I see out of the D8xx cameras on Flickr.

Most wedding pros aren't going to run into that scenario I'm guessing based on the author's statement "I repeat, this is not a real world example, it's simply testing the furthest reaches of the sensor."
Trust me, I get your point. But I also think that this "unreal scenario" clearly demonstrate that one camera has a SUPERIOR sensor. Not sure what else there is to say. If I had to choose a new system from scratch, you'd have to work really hard to make me buy that 5D III over the Nikon, and that's the point of such comparaison.

10-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only thing I care about is "What camera given good light and ideal shooting condition gives me the best image." I have to sell images, not low light performance. Who in the landscape/gallery world cares about low light images? They want compelling images. No matter what your camera, the exeptional images are taken in exceptional light. The D750 image above included.
10-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Amazing, but it's also an unrealistic scenario unless you set out to produce phart ala the one shot hdr "wonders" that I see out of the D8xx cameras on Flickr.

Most wedding pros aren't going to run into that scenario I'm guessing based on the author's statement "I repeat, this is not a real world example, it's simply testing the furthest reaches of the sensor."
I wouldn't say HDR wonders being the only reason why I'd bring up an image one or two stops (sure, 5 is a bit much, but I bet 2 stops is still comparatively in the favor of the Nikon).

I mean, the reason why I always wanted a k-5 was because it was supposed to have fantastic shadow performance - where you can expose to save the highlights and bring up the shadows in post. When you tried to do this on a Canon T3i/4i/5i, it would have horrible noise, DR, and colour. So basically this is the full frame version of that, no?

I can always capture a landscape in good light, sure. But sometimes that good light throws shadows in such a way where I can't always use a graduated ND filter to keep everything.
10-02-2014, 06:15 PM - 2 Likes   #64
Veteran Member

Most wedding pros aren't going to run into that scenario
Scenario's like 'bright window and dark interior' are very common I suspect for wedding pros. Having the ability to push up the shadows a lot in post (without splotchy noise or banding appearing) could be very useful in saving or improving a shot.

The ability to do that sort of shadow boosting well is nothing new to Pentax (K-x onwards) or Nikon users (D90 onwards, D700 onwards). It still comes as a revelation to Canon users though.

10-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Scenario's like 'bright window and dark interior' are very common I suspect for wedding pros. Having the ability to push up the shadows a lot in post (without splotchy noise or banding appearing) could be very useful in saving or improving a shot.

The ability to do that sort of shadow boosting well is nothing new to Pentax (K-x onwards) or Nikon users (D90 onwards, D700 onwards). It still comes as a revelation to Canon users though.
Bright lights and dark shadows..... Black tux and a white wedding dress. There are a lot of situation where the added range and recovery are welcome.
10-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
Trust me, I get your point. But I also think that this "unreal scenario" clearly demonstrate that one camera has a SUPERIOR sensor. Not sure what else there is to say. If I had to choose a new system from scratch, you'd have to work really hard to make me buy that 5D III over the Nikon, and that's the point of such comparaison.
Well, I just recently made that decision, and it was very easy: Canon has the lenses I want to use. They have good wireless RF flash system, the new bodies have VERY quiet shutter sound (as opposed to the D750) and most importantly the colour output is something that pleases my eyes. There is till plenty of DR in the Canon sensors, and I have never encountered a situation where it was not enough. YMMV
10-03-2014, 03:52 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by _quicksilver_ Quote
Well, I just recently made that decision, and it was very easy: Canon has the lenses I want to use. They have good wireless RF flash system, the new bodies have VERY quiet shutter sound (as opposed to the D750) and most importantly the colour output is something that pleases my eyes. There is till plenty of DR in the Canon sensors, and I have never encountered a situation where it was not enough. YMMV
Good for you. Canon has all the glass one photographer could even need. If DR is not primary concern, I'm sure you'll be very pleased.

10-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by _quicksilver_ Quote
most importantly the colour output is something that pleases my eyes. YMMV
+1
You don't see nearly as many "why can't I get pleasing skin tones out of my Canon" threads as you do Nikon. With Nikon, many claim skin tones for Caucasians have gone down hill since the D200 days.

Canon, while not perfect takes less work. Nikon gives you Yellow, green/grey, or peach skin or a combo of all three in the same photo to try to fix. But... you can pull shadows five stops! I guess if you only shoot trees, rocks and water you've got it made.

I haven't seen enough photos from the D750, but right now, if I shot Nikon for portraits, I'd be using the DF. Nikon's own sensor seems better for skin than the Sony ones.
10-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #69
Pentaxian

+1
You don't see nearly as many "why can't I get pleasing skin tones out of my Canon" threads as you do Nikon. With Nikon, many claim skin tones for Caucasians have gone down hill since the D200 days.

Canon, while not perfect takes less work. Nikon gives you Yellow, green/grey, or peach skin or a combo of all three in the same photo to try to fix. But... you can pull shadows five stops! I guess if you only shoot trees, rocks and water you've got it made.

I haven't seen enough photos from the D750, but right now, if I shot Nikon for portraits, I'd be using the DF. Nikon's own sensor seems better for skin than the Sony ones.
Just based on general impressions over a long period of time, if I was shooting mostly people, weddings and portraits, with a lot of skin, I'd be shooting Canon... I've just read way too much praise of Canon and skin tones. My suspicion is that because of the larger sensor sites and lower Res, Canon does better with the red spectrum, but hey, there are a million things it could be. People forget, this whole High Res thing has a trade off, and it doesn't always lead to the best people images.
10-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've just read way too much praise of Canon and skin tones. My suspicion is that because of the larger sensor sites and lower Res, Canon does better
I think they just tune their [JPEG] colour system and AWB engine to produce colours that look good and please people. They have done a lot of research and tuning of this, I'm sure. All camera makers try and do the same.

Camera makers may even go as far (I suspect) to tune their skin colour tonality according to the regional settings for the camera, or tailor the camera tonality settings for specific local distribution channels, like they do with the camera menus. What are considered good skin tones for Japan may not work for North America, India or Indonesia, for instance.
10-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I think they just tune their [JPEG] colour system and AWB engine to produce colours that look good and please people. They have done a lot of research and tuning of this, I'm sure. All camera makers try and do the same.

Camera makers may even go as far (I suspect) to tune their skin colour tonality according to the regional settings for the camera, or tailor the camera tonality settings for specific local distribution channels, like they do with the camera menus. What are considered good skin tones for Japan may not work for North America, India or Indonesia, for instance.
Trouble is, if they tell us what they do that makes them special... they have to kill us.
10-03-2014, 10:10 AM   #72
Pentaxian

+1

How many pictures of people do I need to see before I can see a difference between Canon skin color and say Nikon ( they have a portrait color profile)? I mean I see a lot of them yet I cannot tell the difference. I guess you mean out of camera JPEGs because I have processed my RAWs from my Nikon and submitted prints along with a pile of prints from Canon users and no one could tell which camera took which shot.

Last edited by tuco; 10-03-2014 at 10:16 AM.
10-03-2014, 11:06 AM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote

How many pictures of people do I need to see before I can see a difference between Canon skin color and say Nikon ( they have a portrait color profile)? I mean I see a lot of them yet I cannot tell the difference. I guess you mean out of camera JPEGs because I have processed my RAWs from my Nikon and submitted prints along with a pile of prints from Canon users and no one could tell which camera took which shot.
Every time I think I know something, someone says something different, OK, I admit, most of the times I've heard the Canon skin thing, it's been from guys who shot only Canon...
advantage tuco
10-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #74
Veteran Member

I was browsing Flickr for D750 photos, looking to see how well it's performing so far... I stumbled upon this, i thought you all might find it interesting.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/abumilad/15361088961/in/photolist-pppAzp-p8cAU...-pvdyst-pfkp5N
10-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
I was browsing Flickr for D750 photos, looking to see how well it's performing so far... I stumbled upon this, i thought you all might find it interesting.
I know you can change the date of your picture in Flickr but it says taken October 26, 2014, LOL.