Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Loxia

Ha!

Looks like I beat jogiba to a post!

I am not going to provide a link because you know what this is already.

08-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
loxia pytyopsittacus ??
08-25-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
Banned

(SR5) Zeiss will soon announce the new “Loxia” lens line for Sony Full Frame E-mount! | sonyalpharumors
08-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Loxia ... the definition of expensive money!

08-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
Banned

QuoteQuote:

Image on top shows the current Biogon T* 2/35 ZM (here on eBay) M-mount lens. The new Loxia 35mm could be very similar to it.

I have been told the first Zeiss Loxia prime lens will be a 35mm f/2.0 and 50mm f/2.0 manual focusing lens. It will have a physical aperture ring and electronic aperture control. I have no other info about price and lens physical design characteristics.

Zeiss has a Biogon T* 2/35 ZM (here on eBay) M-mount lens in their portfolio. Maybe the new Loxia also has a Biogon design. The lens is likely to cost more than the current 1 stop slower Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 FE lens. But it will have much higher optical and material quality.

The 50mm f/2.0 makes also a little sense to me as we already have a superb 55mm f/1.8 FE. But maybe the new 50mm lens is a macro to make the difference?
(SR5) First Zeiss Loxia will be a 35mm f/2.0 and 50mm f/2.0 lens. | sonyalpharumors
08-26-2014, 12:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Why would Zeiss launch a 35mm F/2 and a 50mm F/2 when there is already a Zeiss AF 35mm F.2,8 and a Zeiss AF 55mm F/1.8 for the E-mount? The Zeiss 55mm F/1.8 is an excellent lens that would be faster and have AF.
08-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Why would Zeiss launch a 35mm F/2 and a 50mm F/2 when there is already a Zeiss AF 35mm F.2,8 and a Zeiss AF 55mm F/1.8 for the E-mount? The Zeiss 55mm F/1.8 is an excellent lens that would be faster and have AF.
Why does Leica sell the 35mm and 50mm Summicron when they have the Summilux 35mm and 50mm?

Why do some people (including myself) consider Summicron to be the better and more versatile range?

Why is Leica's Summicron 50mm MORE expensive than the Summilux? (PS - I have both).

Personally, I can't wait to buy these lenses, and I already have the two "Sony" Zeiss lenses.

08-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Why does Leica sell the 35mm and 50mm Summicron when they have the Summilux 35mm and 50mm?

Why do some people (including myself) consider Summicron to be the better and more versatile range?

Why is Leica's Summicron 50mm MORE expensive than the Summilux? (PS - I have both).

Personally, I can't wait to buy these lenses, and I already have the two "Sony" Zeiss lenses.
The the lens line-up was already full I would agree with you, but the lens line up for native FE mount is currently the worst in the industry. Why not make a 24mm F/2? Why not an 85mm F/2?

Sony's not Leica.....
08-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
Banned

The the lens line-up was already full I would agree with you, but the lens line up for native FE mount is currently the worst in the industry. Why not make a 24mm F/2? Why not an 85mm F/2?

Sony's not Leica.....
The number of lenses that work with the Sony full frame E mount cameras is the best in the industry.

"For me, the Sony a7r has replaced my Canon 5D Mark III, effectively being my go to camera for anything I am shooting from a tripod, which is much of my landscape and travel work. Not only has it allowed me to shave a few lbs off my camera backpack, but the sensor on this thing is incredible. The rear LCD does a great job, allowing me to manually dial in perfect focus (something I ALWAYS do when shooting from a tripod) in nearly any environment (including low light), given both its quality and articulating abilities. Lastly, having the opportunity to use Canon, Nikon, Sony, Zeiss and even Leica lenses opens up so many doors that were previously closed for photographers. That in itself is a game changer! "
An In-Depth Review of the Sony a7r | Colby Brown Photography

"One of the best features of mirrorless cameras is that due to their thin body design, it’s possible to mount a huge array of lenses on them using lens mount adapters. As the first fullframe mirrorless cameras, Sony’s A7/A7R/A7S are the only cameras that allow you to use virtually every make of 35mm lenses with the full angle of view for which those lenses were designed."
Ultimate Guide to Sony A7 / A7R Lens Mount Adapters
08-26-2014, 11:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The number of lenses that work with the Sony full frame E mount cameras is the best in the industry.

"For me, the Sony a7r has replaced my Canon 5D Mark III, effectively being my go to camera for anything I am shooting from a tripod, which is much of my landscape and travel work. Not only has it allowed me to shave a few lbs off my camera backpack, but the sensor on this thing is incredible. The rear LCD does a great job, allowing me to manually dial in perfect focus (something I ALWAYS do when shooting from a tripod) in nearly any environment (including low light), given both its quality and articulating abilities. Lastly, having the opportunity to use Canon, Nikon, Sony, Zeiss and even Leica lenses opens up so many doors that were previously closed for photographers. That in itself is a game changer! "
An In-Depth Review of the Sony a7r | Colby Brown Photography

"One of the best features of mirrorless cameras is that due to their thin body design, it’s possible to mount a huge array of lenses on them using lens mount adapters. As the first fullframe mirrorless cameras, Sony’s A7/A7R/A7S are the only cameras that allow you to use virtually every make of 35mm lenses with the full angle of view for which those lenses were designed."
Ultimate Guide to Sony A7 / A7R Lens Mount Adapters
Notice I used the phrase "native FE mount".

And the number of lenses that work with Sony E mount cameras is not the best in the industry. M4/3 has many more options simple because they can take every adapter that Sony can Plus there are many more native M4/3 lenses. When it comes to adapters the Sony A7 line is no better than any other mirror on the market when it comes to options.
08-27-2014, 02:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sony's not Leica.....
I thought we were talking about Zeiss?

---------- Post added 08-27-2014 at 07:56 PM ----------

And the number of lenses that work with Sony E mount cameras is not the best in the industry. M4/3 has many more options simple because they can take every adapter that Sony can Plus there are many more native M4/3 lenses. When it comes to adapters the Sony A7 line is no better than any other mirror on the market when it comes to options.
I believe that the E mount registration distance is 18mm.

Micro 4/3 registration distance is 20mm.

So it's possible for Sony E mount cameras to use M 4/3 lenses but not the other way round.

By the way, this is what a M4/3 to NEX adapter looks like:

Last edited by Christine Tham; 08-27-2014 at 03:01 AM.
08-27-2014, 05:08 AM   #12
Banned

Notice I used the phrase "native FE mount".

I have the GH4 with many native lenses and adapters for my DSLR lenses but my 36mp full frame A7r kills it for stills when I print 36x48" prints. DSLRs are dead meat because of the flipping mirror in the future and the companies that make them know it.
08-27-2014, 07:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I have the GH4 with many native lenses and adapters for my DSLR lenses but my 36mp full frame A7r kills it for stills when I print 36x48" prints. DSLRs are dead meat because of the flipping mirror in the future and the companies that make them know it.
I'm sure it does, but that has nothing to do with the number of native FE mount lenses.
08-27-2014, 08:29 AM   #14
Banned

I'm sure it does, but that has nothing to do with the number of native FE mount lenses.
I have the Sonnar T* FE 35mm F2.8 ZA, Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA, FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS and FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS native FE mount lenses and fast Samyang 24mm F1.4, 35mm F1.4 and 85mm F1.4 primes. My Pentax mount lenses work great using low cost adapters.

There are many other FE mount lenses to choose from.
Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm f/4 ZA OSS Lens SEL2470Z B&H
Mitakon 50mm f/0.95 Lens for Sony E Mount MTK50MF095BK B&H Photo
Rokinon 50mm T1.5 AS UMC Cine DS Lens for Sony E Mount DS50M-NEX
Rokinon 14mm T3.1 Cine ED AS IF UMC Lens for Sony E CV14M-NEX
Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 ED AS IF UMC Lens for Sony E Mount RK24M-E
Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 AS UMC Lens for Sony E Mount RK35M-E B&H
08-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
jogiba, I'm curious if you buy cameras and lenses to take pictures of anything other than other cameras and lenses you already bought? :-)