Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2014, 07:13 PM   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really don't understand what Fuji was thinking...or not thinking... with the X30.....it's a step backwards in my view. Looks more like something Panasonic would build...but not as well thought out or useful. The X10/X20 are 'sexy" little Toy Cameras...the X30 is just below "ordinary".
I am very disappointed, but it will save me some cash...so it's not all bad!

Regards!

08-27-2014, 11:08 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The styling seems to me to be in keeping with the other Fujifilm MILCs and high-end compacts. From that viewpoint, it's not bad, but it's certainly not as traditional-looking as its predecessors. I assume the X20 will still be available in parallel with the X30, as the X10 seems to have been with the X20, or was that just old slow-moving stock?
08-28-2014, 01:14 AM   #18
Unregistered User

I wonder when the crowd will get tired of retro-styled cameras...

What will come after that? Back to hi-tech futurism?
08-28-2014, 02:58 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I have a feeling Fuji are going to drop a bollock on this one, they seem to be targeting the mass market with the EVF, which might seem good business sense but users of the X10/20 are unlikely to upgrade IMHO, I will be sticking with the X10 thought I would like the ability to fit an external mic.

Comments have been made on the Facebook page about the sensor size, I noticed that Fuji UK came back with that a 1” sensor with a lens similar to the one fitted would be huge. Some how I don’t think Sony would agree with the RX100 series which is slightly smaller then the X10/20/30. Apparently the 1” sensor would have meant losing the PDAF and predictive object tracking.

To me the X30 doesn’t hold true to the original Fuji X cameras, it is more like a regular high end P&S camera and is out preformed by its Sony counterparts, especially at he price of the X30, which Fuji is finding out with the poor pre-orders so far.

08-28-2014, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
I will be sticking with the X10
You should, you do a fantastic job with the X10...as does Jac. Is Fuji losing the edge? I don't know, but they sure have with the X30. I bet the price drops like a rock in a creek in no time. I'd consider it at around $99.....but only as a gift to someone else.

Regards!
08-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I guess you would love the Nikon Df.
Honestly, YES. I have shot one and think for what I want it is the best Nikon DSLR. I like the tonality of the Nikon sensor better than the Sony's in either the D800 or 6x0 lines. The fact that it lacked video was a huge plus for me.

You're making me want to buy the DF.
08-28-2014, 12:03 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You should, you do a fantastic job with the X10...as does Jac. Is Fuji losing the edge? I don't know, but they sure have with the X30. I bet the price drops like a rock in a creek in no time. I'd consider it at around $99.....but only as a gift to someone else.

Regards!
I think they have, the new Pen E-PL7 looks a better option then the X30 cheaper as well with the 12-42mm lens

Cheers, Steve

08-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really think it's far too early to start judging a camera that no-one has used yet (poor pre-orders? It's only been out for 24 hours!).

Comparisons with the Sony RX100III are also fairly suspect, as the X30 is noticeably cheaper than the Sony. Making things smaller almost inevitably costs more, although apparently some here think that's OK if a camera has the Sony badge on it, but not otherwise (evidence the negative reaction to the Pentax K-S1). I also suspect that Fuji plans on making a profit out of the X30.
08-29-2014, 06:33 AM   #24
Veteran Member

No doubt indeed they want to make a profit on the X30, I think any company wants to make a profit on their product.
I just don’t know if its the X30 the masses wanted, more of a X20S.
I wait to see what the reviews have to say, The Jpeg engine has been altered from the X20, so am looking forward to seeing what it produces as I would like to replace my X10 with something more capable at taking video with a option of a external mic.
Cheers, Steve
08-29-2014, 10:31 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I really think it's far too early to start judging a camera that no-one has used yet (poor pre-orders? It's only been out for 24 hours!)..
Oh, hell no. Is this your first time on a photography forum? Go to DPrev where you can find daily threads of camera A vs a future update of camera B that has not even been announced or hinted at by the manufacturer.

This thing exits. That no one has used one matters not. Sheesh! Get with the internet!

08-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
This thing exits. That no one has used one matters not. Sheesh! Get with the internet!
No problem here! I hacked it to death and it isn't even available yet! Got to stay alert on the internet!

Regards!
08-29-2014, 06:06 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
No doubt indeed they want to make a profit on the X30, I think any company wants to make a profit on their product.
I'm not convinced that Sony does, at least with the approach they seem to have with many of their products. Perhaps it's more happenstantial than deliberate, but a lot of their products look like loss leaders to me. The only certainty we have is that their NA finance arm has been propping up most of the company over a period of time, so it might have been a deliberate strategy to get so many things out quickly, but it's certainly the antithesis of Ricoh's approach, and Fujifilm seems to be somewhere between the two. The least you could say about Fujifilm is that their strategy looks more coherent than Sony's and more adventurous than Ricoh's.

Btw, don't get me wrong about Sony's products. I like a fair number of them, as I do Fujifilm's. It's their perceived business strategy I was commenting on.
08-30-2014, 03:37 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote

First Look: Fujifilm X30 | Fuji RumorsFuji Rumors

Cheers, Steve
09-02-2014, 03:27 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Here is a couple of sample albums taken with a Fuji X30.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25805910@N05/sets/72157646816959502/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25805910@N05/sets/72157647028869551/

Cheers, Steve
09-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
I wonder when the crowd will get tired of retro-styled cameras...

What will come after that? Back to hi-tech futurism?

I think there is more function that style in Fuji's. I bought an X100s for the older "style" dials because it's highly functional. It's hard to beat rotating a dial that's clearly labeled. In that sense I don't think it's a fad by any means. The new XT-1 has dials for each common setting. I still prefer this over software or lcd solutions. I think with the blitz of technology things change so fast that it's an example of stepping back and saying "wait this old method still works".

I'm not interested in the X30 as it seems like the Sony RX100's are a better option. I own the original RX100 and it's got a great sensor for a small camera. The controls aren't as good as my Fuji or Pentax however and Fuji really does have some magic in it's colors strait from the camera.