Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-02-2014, 06:16 AM   #1
Banned

Zeiss Loxia officially announced! 50mm costs $949 and 35mm costs $1,299.

Zeiss Loxia officially announced! 50mm costs $949 and 35mm costs $1,299. | sonyalpharumors

09-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting, but why get that old fashioned 6/4 double gauss planar 50mm/2 over the Sony/Zeiss 55mm/1.8 Sonnar lens that performs so spectacularly? Same price even...

The 35mm makes sense, I just wish they'd drop the 6/4 design for mirrorless 50mm lenses...
09-02-2014, 07:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I think that's it. They knew the 55mm f1.8 would be hard to beat, so to differentiate this lens from it, they used a different design. This way, its not just a difference of 5mm and f0.2, but also a difference in rendering style.
09-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Interesting, but why get that old fashioned 6/4 double gauss planar 50mm/2 over the Sony/Zeiss 55mm/1.8 Sonnar lens that performs so spectacularly? Same price even...

The 35mm makes sense, I just wish they'd drop the 6/4 design for mirrorless 50mm lenses...
I have to agree. Unless the new 50mm F/2 is absolutely amazing I don't see this lens selling really well. There is rumor of a 50+MP FF A series coming and maybe they are looking a head, but its hard to see this lens being much better than the 55mm F/1.8.

09-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The planar is a classic design and many modern lenses are spawned from it, the tessar is a similar classic design, as is the cooke triplet that spawned most lenses in your bag.

Yes all the zooms that ever have been and all the zooms you use today are derived from the cooke triplet.

The planar and tessar are far from poor relations, a tessar can perform magnificently, and the biotar which is a planar type performs wonderfully well . On the other hand I too am mystified at the price of what is after all a simple lens design. I guess we will have to wait for some images to judge.
09-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If I read these correctly they can toggle between apertures silently. The stuff I read made it seem like it was a 'mode' that you could select - i.e. either aperture clicks or doesn't depending on your need.

A7 seems like it might have a bunch of videographers anyway...
09-02-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The higher price could be some of the additional features that they added, such as focusing recognition (to allow automatic focus-zoom assist) and aperture click enable/disable.

09-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
The ZEISS lenses Loxia 2/35 and Loxia 2/50 are the first members of a new family of manual focus lenses for the E-mount full frame. They are optimized for digital sensors and electronic viewfinders and feature a mechanical aperture setting and the mechanical deactivation of the click stop (de-click) for ambitious videography. But these are just a few of the highlights. The lenses will be presented to the public at ZEISS's booth (hall 2.2, C-018) at photokina in Cologne/Germany from September 16 to 21, 2014.

"Ever since the Sony Alpha 7/7r/7s helped compact system cameras break through to the full frame, there has been a growing desire for a 'digital manual focus' experience that combines the best of both worlds. The Loxia 2/35 and Loxia 2/50 are the first members of a new family of manual focus lenses for the E-mount full frame. By entering this field, ZEISS not only wants to meet this desire, but exceed it," said Christophe Casenave, Product Manager at ZEISS Camera Lenses.

Freedom of composition in photography was the guiding principle in developing the ZEISS Loxia 2/35 and ZEISS Loxia 2/50. An electronic interface transmits lens data (EXIF), but it also recognizes focus movements and, if desired, activates the camera's magnifier function. This supports the possibilities of modern compact camera systems with an electronic viewfinder. Furthermore, the Loxia lenses allow for precise manual focusing as well as a mechanical setting of the aperture (aperture priority). This traditional way of working expresses one's personal photo lifestyle, opening up surprising creative possibilities to compose the image that go beyond all automation.

It is not for nothing that compact camera systems are one of the most interesting developments on the photography market today. Many photographers also appreciate the combination of traditional principles of handling and operation with the most modern technology.
Zeiss launches Loxia full frame lenses for Sony E-mount: Digital Photography Review
09-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the ZM (Leica mount) versions of both these designs, and they are excellent on the M9. The Planar 50 is quite good on my A7. The corners of the Biogon 35 do smear on the A7 at wide apertures, so I wonder what changes might be made. (The Leica Summarit 35 corners are better than the Zeiss on my A7, but it is closer to $2K now.)
I usually use my Pentax-M wides on my A7, but the 35 f2 is soft at f2.0, but quite good by 2.8.
09-02-2014, 02:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
The higher price could be some of the additional features that they added, such as focusing recognition (to allow automatic focus-zoom assist) and aperture click enable/disable.
Can you change the function of the rear control wheel to ISO? The new lenses have aperture rings, so it doesn't make sense to have aperture control on both the lens and the rear wheel. If Sony was smart they would allow you to enter/program custom setups for each lens. When you put the 50mm F/2 on it would change the rear dial to ISO control and default to aperture control with the lens ring. When you put on a normal Sony lens the rear dial would revert back to aperture control. Or whatever you wanted it to do.
09-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Sony has four wheels already.

ISO, Aperture, Shutter, Exposure Comp.

So unless you wanted one of the wheels to be in a different location there's really not a lot of reason to change.
09-02-2014, 03:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Sony has four wheels already.

ISO, Aperture, Shutter, Exposure Comp.

So unless you wanted one of the wheels to be in a different location there's really not a lot of reason to change.
Can you program the rear wheel to do anything else? I guess the aperture ring on lens is primarily for video.

I would rather have the rear thumb wheel control ISO and aperture on the lens.
09-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Can you program the rear wheel to do anything else? I guess the aperture ring on lens is primarily for video.
Dunno. Never wanted to do it.
09-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Dunno. Never wanted to do it.
On the K-3 when you hold down the ISO button the rear wheel controls the ISO setting. Its somewhat familiar to me to operate that way.
09-02-2014, 04:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Can you change the function of the rear control wheel to ISO? The new lenses have aperture rings, so it doesn't make sense to have aperture control on both the lens and the rear wheel. If Sony was smart they would allow you to enter/program custom setups for each lens. When you put the 50mm F/2 on it would change the rear dial to ISO control and default to aperture control with the lens ring. When you put on a normal Sony lens the rear dial would revert back to aperture control. Or whatever you wanted it to do.
It wouldn't be a bad idea, but I highly doubt they would implement such a function unless they were working deeply hand in hand with Sony..