10 fps
65 AF point all cross type
Dual Pixel CMOS AF
EOS iTR Autofocus
Dual DIGIC6
Max ISO 16000
RGB + IR Photometry Sensor
Intervalometer

Nothing earth shattering, but 65 cross type AF points and dual image processors are impressive. This is will be a very popular camera for sports and wildlife photographers. The 400mm F/5.6 is under $1,400 and added to the 7D makes for a very strong low budget package.

09-11-2014, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Big question is what kind of sensor performance Canon can give with this camera. Otherwise, Canon's specs have been pretty decent, but feels like Canon sensor tech trails Sony quite a bit right now.
09-11-2014, 07:02 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's about time that Canon updated the 7D. It predates the original K-5 for crying out loud...

It will be interesting to see by how much they've managed to improve the image quality. The original 7D's AF was already very good, so the improvements in that area probably aren't going to be the center of attention (except in live view).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-11-2014, 07:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Max ISO of 16000 is a bit low, if it's their top of the line. Usually they have 2x Hi ISO levels so that means max of 64,000?
But then again I guess it doesn't matter too much since those levels are relatively useless.

09-11-2014, 07:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Big question is what kind of sensor performance Canon can give with this camera. Otherwise, Canon's specs have been pretty decent, but feels like Canon sensor tech trails Sony quite a bit right now.
Rumor is that Canon has been focused on new technology and not putting a lot into CMOS. That still might not be enough to keep up with Sony or even Panasonic/Fuji. Panasonic and Fuji already have organic sensor and have published papers on them. They just have to figure out how to manufacture on a large scale at a competitive cost. Sony has its own organic sensor program. Canon has filed patents on a 7 layer Foveon type sensor, but that may not be what they bring to market. Sony is announcing new sensor technology in January.

My guess is that the 7DII will perform at the same level as the k-5 when it comes to IQ. I have a couple of friends who still shoot Canon and have 7D bodies. With certain lenses its focus is amazingly fast. Of course with a lens like the 85L, the 7D is slower than my K-3 and 85mm Sigma. Its all lens dependent. The people who buy the 7DII will be more concerned with AF and performance than pixel peeping IQ. One professional I know uses 2 Canon 1DIV bodies (he loves APS-H) and lives at ISO 1600. He guides in Africa 6 months out of the year, and fast AF & sharp pictures are more important a little more noise for sports and wildlife.
09-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
... Canon 1DIV bodies (he loves APS-H) and lives at ISO 1600.
He is only losing 2 stops of DR compared to base ISO which is pretty low to begin with so that isn't too bad of a strategy. But someone with, say, a D810 would lose about 5 stops of DR shooting at ISO 1600 compared to base ISO. That would give me pause for scenes full of light.
09-11-2014, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #7
Banned

What is impressive about 64 points? Or 100 points? or 1000? Bigger is better? C'mon.
64 points might have some point (pun intended) in a full sized 645 sensor, for example, but not even there — the nature of the MF setup denies it.

And for the APS-C?!

Anything above 15-16 points is already an overkill and humanly uncontrollable in the act of photographic fast action. Pentax's 27 points in K-3 is, I think, at the verge of common sense. They only have a beautiful pattern and smart placement, which makes some practical sense.

With a greater number of points you only take away control from yourself and give it to the camera, to its computer, hoping for the best.

And you need 64 points for shooting stills?
Really, simple slight recompose don't work anymore?

Last edited by Uluru; 09-11-2014 at 09:38 PM.
09-11-2014, 10:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
With a greater number of points you only take away control from yourself and give it to the camera, to its computer, hoping for the best.

My guess is that you don't shoot fast moving subjects very often?
09-11-2014, 11:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
The camera is for people who shoot action and wildlife. If you shot much of that you would know why that's important to people.
09-12-2014, 01:17 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And many Canon photographers are genuinely bummed out over this...I had a college comment on this, he had hoped for some camera that would put canon several generations ahead of current offerings. I just told him to hold his tongue - cameras these days are more capable than photographers.
09-12-2014, 06:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
And many Canon photographers are genuinely bummed out over this...I had a college comment on this, he had hoped for some camera that would put canon several generations ahead of current offerings. I just told him to hold his tongue - cameras these days are more capable than photographers.
How true! I only use a fraction of the features available on my K5. The feature I'm patiently waiting for is a camera that is so smart, it flashes a warning in the viewfinder that says "this shot is going to suck".
09-14-2014, 05:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
How true! I only use a fraction of the features available on my K5. The feature I'm patiently waiting for is a camera that is so smart, it flashes a warning in the viewfinder that says "this shot is going to suck".
I'd buy that in a heartbeat
09-14-2014, 05:58 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

The camera is for people who shoot action and wildlife. If you shot much of that you would know why that's important to people.
I knew there was a reason I yawned. Oh wait, I shoot wildlife...

Not even my K-3, my K-5.
OK, what is it I'm supposed to know again? Oh ya, the 64 AF points. I really have to try out a few other camera brands, I feel like I'm missing out.

Last edited by normhead; 09-14-2014 at 06:04 PM.
09-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I knew there was a reason I yawned. Oh wait, I shoot wildlife...

Not even my K-3, my K-5.
OK, what is it I'm supposed to know again? Oh ya, the 64 AF points. I really have to try out a few other camera brands, I feel like I'm missing out.
You know all the secrets that all of the professionals who actually make money don't.
09-15-2014, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

You know all the secrets that all of the professionals who actually make money don't.
No I don't, why don't you inform me oh wise one.... I guess you watched more National Geographic specials than me or something.

Funny, though, 30 years ago, all the professionals who made money had no autofocus points, and they were still professionals, and still made money...and still knew more than you or I do.

It's annoying when some one decides to inform me that some guy who is "obviously better than me" is better than me because he has 64 AF points and I only have 27. So, how exactly do you know that? Could it be that there are other techniques he's developed that make a difference, besides having 64 AF points? Could it be that 64 AF points might only be an advantage in a very few situations and that most of the time it doesn't even come into play? I saw the NG special on how the Spirit Bear images were shot. Basically the guy camped out for two months waiting for the right time, and when it came, he cold have taken great images with a brownie camera. So, it's always interesting to hear people invoking "professionals who actually make money" as part of their argument, when they actually know very little about those guys. I've spent time with quite a few wildlife photographers who make money...and sometimes my images are equal to or better than theirs, and when they aren't, it's because they've developed shooting techniques I haven't. I watched a guy from Ontario Outdoors do some owl images last winter that were later published in the magazine. Next time I see an owl, I'll do what he did. I'll let you know if only having 27 AF points cripples me. Then we'll maybe know something.

So what was your point again?

Last edited by normhead; 09-15-2014 at 04:46 AM.