Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2014, 07:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Any instant film shooters here?

I bought a used working Polaroid Spectra camera with old film loaded inside of it. What a fun camera! New film made by the Impossible Project is really expensive. $24 for 8 shots.

Anyone here shoot instant film for the fun and experience? Has anyone tried this pricey Impossible Film?

09-18-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, but... have you taken a look at the Fuji Instax cameras?
09-18-2014, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I have a Fuji Instax Neo 90. It is a nice camera and great for parties. I like to give away the pics to people. Sometimes it is nice to give pictures and not just take pictures.
09-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
I have a Fuji Instax Neo 90. It is a nice camera and great for parties. I like to give away the pics to people. Sometimes it is nice to give pictures and not just take pictures.
I haven't looked at it that way in a long time, but you are absolutely right!

09-18-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Not only is it gratifying to give something it's also something you can give right away! It opens up a new avenue of interaction.

I think instant photography re-opens new technical and artistic challenges. It's easy to fall into the hipster lo-fi groove of snapshots. Young bearded men in their 20s with either stone serious looks or laughing their heads off "having a good time". Different just to be different. That's not me. I want to explore something with a stronger sense of WHY-HOW-WHAT.
09-18-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Anyone here shoot instant film for the fun and experience? Has anyone tried this pricey Impossible Film?
The Impossible Project is like small craft brewing, only they are trying to piece together the recipe from the artifacts rescued from the Polaroid sites. I've seen a few prints and the quality of the output was highly inconsistent. This was not camera related, but development chemical-stability dependent. Lots of risk there.

I have a totally beautiful original SX-70 SLR with leather and chrome. During the 1980s I exhibited straight and hacked Polaroid shots in several galleries in Puget Sound. So much fun shooting and making that was.

Fuji bought the patents for the older 3.25 X 4.25 Inch Polaroid film packs, but not for the instant film for SX-70, 600-series, and Spectra Polaroid lines. One of my earliest cameras was the Polaroid Colorpak 2 which will take the Fuji FP-100C film. Three years ago, as a fund raiser for my daughter's middle school, I set up a photo booth with big lights and sold shots taken with that camera and film. It was a lot of fun, though getting groups of kids to stand still enough for ISO 40 film was a parental challenge.

You can still buy older Polaroid Auto Land Cameras in good condition and use this film. Some of those models had Leica viewfinders and maybe one model had a Leica lens and optional totally manual controls. Overall, I felt that the Fuji film was less vibrant than the original Polaroid--which was legendary for saturation--but still worth buying.

There is still magic to Polaroid photography.

M
09-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
The Impossible Project is like small craft brewing, only they are trying to piece together the recipe from the artifacts rescued from the Polaroid sites. I've seen a few prints and the quality of the output was highly inconsistent. This was not camera related, but development chemical-stability dependent. Lots of risk there.

I have a totally beautiful original SX-70 SLR with leather and chrome. During the 1980s I exhibited straight and hacked Polaroid shots in several galleries in Puget Sound. So much fun shooting and making that was.

Fuji bought the patents for the older 3.25 X 4.25 Inch Polaroid film packs, but not for the instant film for SX-70, 600-series, and Spectra Polaroid lines. One of my earliest cameras was the Polaroid Colorpak 2 which will take the Fuji FP-100C film. Three years ago, as a fund raiser for my daughter's middle school, I set up a photo booth with big lights and sold shots taken with that camera and film. It was a lot of fun, though getting groups of kids to stand still enough for ISO 40 film was a parental challenge.

You can still buy older Polaroid Auto Land Cameras in good condition and use this film. Some of those models had Leica viewfinders and maybe one model had a Leica lens and optional totally manual controls. Overall, I felt that the Fuji film was less vibrant than the original Polaroid--which was legendary for saturation--but still worth buying.

There is still magic to Polaroid photography.

M
Someone somewhere has to know the recipe for the SX-70, 600, and Spectra films. Did the recipe die go into the grave with Edwin Land?

The film in the Spectra I bought was well expired. All the images are brown tinted and you can see how the chemicals slid down the frame. The corners have no chemicals and you can see the brown base. Maybe the camera was stored vertically in a box? I would hope that for as inconsistent as the film may be today it would better than the dry film I finished this morning.

I think Adorama is selling Spectra film on Amazon for $24 with free shipping for orders over $35. That may be the way I go for a pack of film but I need to add $11 worth of stuff. Hopefully the folks at the Impossible Project can figure out a way to get the prices down or fit two more shots in the cartridge. I read that the battery was too thick for 10 shots.

09-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

You guys are not serious shooters...serious shooters only shoot with FF cameras or desire a FF camera...I read it all the time here on PF. Instant cameras are probably not even cameras at all......more like a fast processing Etch-A-Sketch?
However, you are most welcome to post your shots over in the Toy Camera thread, where you will be fully accepted as genuine Toy Camera shooters! We have fun, take tons of shots, and don't mind being called names by the FF guys...come join us, we are taking over the world one shot at a time!

Regards!
Rupert
09-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Full frame? Full of what? I was looking at a BelAir 6x12 instant today...
I bought my sister a Fuji Instax 90 "Neo-Classic" about a week ago. She hasn't even taken it out of the box yet, so I might just sneak it out for a test drive...
11-09-2014, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Here one shot by the Fuji Instax Neo 90
11-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have lots of memories of using Polaroid cameras over the years.

These old backs here will go on the 4x5 Graflex , I am not sure if film is coming available again for one or even both of these.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
11-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I believe you can get Fujifilm in 4x5 size
11-14-2014, 10:50 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I bought a used working Polaroid Spectra camera with old film loaded inside of it. What a fun camera! New film made by the Impossible Project is really expensive. $24 for 8 shots.

I've tried the impossible project film, the biggest issue is the cost. It's fun to play with Polaroids however. I read an article recently that a kickstarter project will launch soon, to do with printing from smartphones, creating the look, feel of a Polaroid. Except I can't remember the name of the project!
11-16-2014, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've been experimenting very carefully with the Impossible Film for my Spectra. The shots has been disappointing. The colors are inconsistently washed out. It's like the shots lack saturation and/or contrast at times. Some shots are overly cool. Some are tinted brown. Maybe there is a white balance issue? Sharpness is OK though.

I'm wondering if the rollers in the camera aren't spreading the developer through the film properly.
11-16-2014, 11:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I would highly recommend you give the fuji Instax a try. The cameras and film are fairly inexpensive and a lot of fun for parties. Film is much cheaper than the impossible project.