Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2014, 07:04 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon says they could launch a "new mount" system

Canon says they could launch a "new mount" system. | Mirrorless Rumors

---------- Post added 09-20-2014 at 07:13 AM ----------

If Canon ever produce mirrorless FF camera, it could the same situation like with Canon 300D - the fist mass production DSLR with price lower 1000USD.
Canon could produce hi-end and cheaper and simplier version of such camera and FF could be real with price lower than 1500USD.
Such camera will compete with Sony Alfa and could be more successful. And it could change the market radically.

It's just a guess, of course.

Last edited by ogl; 09-20-2014 at 11:17 AM.
09-20-2014, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #2

and that's why I don't shoot Canon. They abandoned their earlier mount and may be set to do it again.
I'll stick with the versatility of the Pentax M42 and K mount thankyou very much.
09-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Canon Threatens Release of EOS-M3 | New Camera News
09-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
and that's why I don't shoot Canon. They abandoned their earlier mount and may be set to do it again.
I'll stick with the versatility of the Pentax M42 and K mount thankyou very much.
Must be tough carrying a grudge for close to 30 years.

Development of the EOS mount is considered by many (including me) to be one of the smartest and savviest moves of the camera business during the past 50 years. Professionals got the world class AF system that is still a few notches above some other brands. This in turn vaulted Canon past Nikon both in influence and in sales as millions of consumers followed suit. And you know what, on my 7D I can use M42 lenses (it's easier than on Pentax, BTW), Pentax K-mount, Nikon, and lots more. I'd say that's versatile.

The mirrorless market is still the frontier with apparent product weaknesses. If Canon can bring their level of predictive AF and develop a class-leading EVF, then they will prosper. If a new lens mount is required to provide the same type of functional leap that EOS ushered in, then I don't think I'd be alone in welcoming it with my wallet.

M

09-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Development of the EOS mount is considered by many (including me) to be one of the smartest and savviest moves of the camera business during the past 50 years.
Yes, they pretty much had to do it if they wanted to support AF. It is a shame that the were not able to provide an adapter for the legacy lenses, but there was really no other way.

And you know what, on my 7D I can use M42 lenses (it's easier than on Pentax, BTW), Pentax K-mount, Nikon, and lots more. I'd say that's versatile.
Of course, the older FD mount was also able to adapt many other maker's lenses, assuming adequate clearance for the mirror. That was one of the strong points of Canon cameras even back in the late 1960s. I am curious as to how M42 is easier on the 7D. You get focus confirm with a chipped adapter and are limited to stop-down metering with fully manual aperture just like on a Pentax. Is it because the adapter fits the camera easier?

Steve

(...apologies to Ogl for contributing to a thread hijack...)
09-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #6
osv
Veteran Member

Development of the EOS mount is considered by many (including me) to be one of the smartest and savviest moves of the camera business during the past 50 years. Professionals got the world class AF system that is still a few notches above some other brands.
the ef lens mount was a smart idea because it has a large 54mm diameter opening.

i'm guessing that the current canon autofocus system probably could have been developed for any flange mounting system.

when mirrorless finishes taking over the world, i wonder what autofocus will look like then.
09-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Is it because the adapter fits the camera easier?
You are in the ballpark. It's about logistics. The adapter fits the lens so it is far easier integrating M42 lens use with native EOS lens use on the fly. The adapters are cheap enough to be a part of each M42 in one's bag. The Pentax approach is kludgy. I know there are hacks.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You get focus confirm with a chipped adapter
I don't trust it very much, I think the built-in confirm in the Pentax is a bit better, but not as good as a split-focus screen.

M

09-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
FF could be real with price lower than 1500USD.
FF is already at that price point, at least in Australia. I could go online right now and order either a Nikon D610 or Canon 6D for less than USD $1500 (both manufacturers have ~$150 cash-back deals active). Or a Sony A7.

If Canon want to drive theiir prices even lower, that would be nice, of course, but the USD $1500 price threshold for FF already seems to have been breached.
09-20-2014, 10:47 PM   #9
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
It's new info for me.
09-21-2014, 12:52 AM   #10

Canon is considering a new mount system. What about Pentax?

This is from Photo Rumors - Canon is considering a new mount system. But for what?
In the comments that follow the rumor, some argue that the new mount is for a mirror
less full frame system. This seems plausible, as SONY has taken this approach already.

Rumor source: http://photorumors.com/2014/09/20/canon-is-considering-a-new-mount-system

What does this rumor has to do with Ricoh/Pentax? As we all know, Ricoh/Pentax always
says that they are studying the market closely, and there is no release schedule for their
35mm full frame yet. Technically speaking, it should not be too difficult for Ricoh/Pentax
to make a FF DSLR. So what is their concern, and what are they studying anyway?

I remember there is a rumor saying that Pentax might give up K-mount and put up a new
lens mount on their FF DSLR. Given Canon's new camera mount rumor and the fact that
SONY has a new mount on their mirrorless A7, this new mount idea is also an option for
Ricoh/Pentax. So *maybe* what they are studying is the pros and cons of a new mount,
and the impact of the new mount to current Pentax cameras' eco system.

I for one welcome the idea of a mirrorless FF camera that is not K-mount. For one of the
advantages of a mirrorless camera is its relatively small size. Pentax is working very hard
to make small DSLRs. And indeed K-7/K-5/K-3 basically have the smallest form factor
among their peers. But I think size-wise they have probably hit the roof, because of the
mirror box. So to further reduce the camera size, giving up the mirror is a natural approach.

But on the other hand, the K-01 has done a pretty decent job in terms of reducing camera size.
So who knows? If the two new telephoto zoom lenses are really for FF, then it seems that
Ricoh/Pentax is planning a professional or semi-professional FF DSLR body, as putting these
giant lenses on a mirroless camera just does not make too much sense
09-21-2014, 01:08 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That's it... someone cut the chicken's head off and it is running everywhere...

I don't see the point of a new mount for Canon. Didn't they already did that for their stupid mirrorless which doesn't even sell ?
IF Ricoh/Pentax ever goes mirrorless with bigger sensor, they will bring a new mount optimized for mirrorless which could be a simple modernized KMount (mechnicaly identical) but fully electronic: easy adapters, something like ľK.
But really, it seems Pentax is not going mirrorless any day now so... (and I don't give a damn).
09-21-2014, 01:18 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax has already developed a new mount for a mirrorless system, and it is going quite nicely. Four bodies now and eight lenses, with a ninth on the way.
09-21-2014, 01:24 AM   #13

While I like the idea of a new mount that can keep camera and lens size small, the approach is gonna be risky for Ricoh/Pentax.
For they do not have enough resources to support the R&D. Not to mention that they already have 645/K/Q three different mounts.
So why even bother? Canon and SONY are in different league (resource wise). So from their point of view, a new mount is perhaps
worthy trying? And SONY A7/A7r/A7s are selling decently, if not eye-poppingly, well.
09-21-2014, 01:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

If you asked any of the main camera companies whether they were considering a new mount, chances are they would all say "yes". All companies have to watch the market very carefully, do their R&D and feasibility studies and think through the kind of company they'd like to be in a few years' time. But actually putting such an idea into production is a very different thing since a poor decision over something so fundamental could easily destroy the whole enterprise.

I see it as a Canon manager speculating on the shape of the post-Rebel era. It could mean something or nothing. It's perfectly plausible that Canon's FF lines could stay exactly where they are but that any system based on a smaller sensor would change substantially, for example. Such a smaller system could be 1", M43, APS-C or something else. I suppose this is all another aspect of the famous "squeeze" on the traditional market for APS-C cameras. Now that the upper jaws in the form of more affordable FF have been largely dealt with, attention is turning to the lower set of teeth. The various technical challenges there - fast on-sensor AF, quality EVFs and the like - are beginning to be dealt with. Likely the idea is not to be caught between the jaws when the beast becomes hungry
09-21-2014, 01:48 AM   #15
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Ricoh/Pentax strategy is to market high profit margin bodies. Pentax users stay with the brand because they can get value from their existing lenses without too much additional outlay on lenses. A new APS-C/FF mount would not make sense as a market strategy (but that never stopped anyone either!)