Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What are your thoughts regarding the Panasonic GM5?

A little while ago I bought a Q, the original one. I really like this little thing. It has very similar controls and menus to my other cameras (K7,K5,K3), it has a hotshoe (albeit a bit limited) it has a scroll wheel at the back and it is tiny.

But since I got it, the mini sensor has been bugging me. I do manage to take great pictures with it but I feel limited by the very deep DOF and the pictures are a bit noisy, even at ISO200. I couldn't care less about "the reach" that the 5.5 crop it gives me, since I almost always get better results cropping a K3 images shot with the same lens. But the most annoying thing is the lack of a viewfinder, especially under the sun...

I have been looking at my options and every camera was missing something. Either it was way too big or it was missing a hotshoe or it had no scroll wheel or had a small sensor or had no VF. I looked at compact cameras but most are lacking controls and I'd rather have an ILC.

I was hoping the Pentax would release an APSC mirrorless but it doesn't look too promising. The QS1 was a bit of a disappointment.

Then came the announcement of the Lumix GM5... about the same size as the GM1 which is only marginally larger than a Q. It has a M43 sensor, it has a hotshoe, it has an EFV, it has a scroll wheel. It's like a dream come true. M43 lenses are plenty and some are pretty amazing. And most decent ones are cheaper than their Q equivalent.

I'm just wondering if the Panasonic will be as fun to use as the Q is? Do you think it is going to be a viable alternative?

10-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery
Yes, finally I am back here, have to chcek som info about this little gem then
10-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not a direct answer (vis-a-vis the Panasonic) but I use a Voigtlander 40 mm (35mm equivalent) optical finder--which makes a huge difference and is close enough to mag. =1 to allow me (w/ glasses) use both eyes open. I use it w/ my toy wide and 02 zoom. (I also use a 50 mm finder w/ the 01 lens.)
But I really like optical finders and use them on my K-x and K-5, as well (they let me follow action such as dance better).
10-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never think about it.

10-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

On one metric that I am interested in, it seems a pretty cool camera. It's one of the Panasonics (GH4, GX7, GM1, GM5) that has autofocus that works down to -4 EV light level. Which seems pretty awesome, since the Sony A7S is the only other camera that matches that.
10-06-2014, 06:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
On one metric that I am interested in, it seems a pretty cool camera. It's one of the Panasonics (GH4, GX7, GM1, GM5) that has autofocus that works down to -4 EV light level. Which seems pretty awesome, since the Sony A7S is the only other camera that matches that.
Is that like the one where the camera will focus, but it's so dark you can't see where the camera is pointed through the viewfinder, so you don't know what you're focusing on?
10-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
but it's so dark you can't see where the camera is pointed through the viewfinder
If you ask me, this is one of the few times where an EFV is a good thing.

that has autofocus that works down to -4 EV light level.
I got so exited of finally finding my (almost) holy grail of pocketable MILC that I barely even read the specs...

10-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I've been looking at that too.....maybe a better choice than the LX100? The price is the same, but the abilities are better for a wider range of shooting. You could build a nice system around this little camera....might get expensive, but it sure is tiny!

Regards!
10-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The inclusion of an EVF in such a small body is refreshing to see. I'm also pleased that Panasonic seems to understand that a small camera needs to be matched with small lenses. They've now got two super-compact zoom lenses designed specifically for this body. Now if only somebody could figure out how to get IBIS in such a small body, and weather seal it, and come out with some high end compact zooms, you'd have the perfect compact field system camera.
10-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Is that like the one where the camera will focus, but it's so dark you can't see where the camera is pointed through the viewfinder, so you don't know what you're focusing on?
Just about. The somewhat silly aspect of impressive tech like -4 EV autofocus on some cameras is that the metering often (eg on the GM5) only goes down to -EV 0. So you will have a focussed shot, but the camera probably won't be able to expose the scene properly. Such cameras will need good dynamic range, because you'll probably be doing a lot of shadow boosting in post processing. It's probably useful though for keeping the AF working with dark lenses.

FWIW, the K-3 (-3 EV AF, -3 EV metering) and A7S (-4 EV AF, -3 EV metering) are the only cameras that properly balance deep low-light AF and metering.
10-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Just about. The somewhat silly aspect of impressive tech like -4 EV autofocus on some cameras is that the metering often (eg on the GM5) only goes down to -EV 0. So you will have a focussed shot, but the camera probably won't be able to expose the scene properly. Such cameras will need good dynamic range, because you'll probably be doing a lot of shadow boosting in post processing. It's probably useful though for keeping the AF working with dark lenses.

FWIW, the K-3 (-3 EV AF, -3 EV metering) and A7S (-4 EV AF, -3 EV metering) are the only cameras that properly balance deep low-light AF and metering.
You mean someone is going to event a -3 EV lens to go with the -3 EV AF? Like a built in -27 neutral density filter... it just gets more an more interesting.
10-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

..... -4 EV autofocus on some cameras is that the metering often (eg on the GM5) only goes down to -EV 0. So you will have a focussed shot, but the camera probably won't be able to expose the scene properly. ..
good point
however, knowing that the camera focused couldn't you go to manual and just go -4EV from what the camera is metering? or will it be a case where you won't get any meter reading at all?