Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2014, 06:34 AM   #1
Forum Member

Y'all wanna help me spend my money? Toy camera time.

After loving learning some photography w my K5 and assortment of lenses- I am moving on (back someone say). Basically I love capturing those wonderful images, but my hands are always full and so is my schedule. It isn't a priority to practice this craft- children and their school and mine take that cake.

But I still love love it. But having a DSLR around is not compatible with our lifestyle right now.

At any rate I am looking for a simple effective set up. I really desire a view finder and had my heart set on an X20 but now they are discontinued.
I do not want interchangeable lens. Wifi is bonus, zoom is bonus, pocketable is must have, and the more Mom friendly (aka shock etc proof) the better.
Kids don't stand still so action is a must- AND the increased chance of capturing those childhood moments artfully is really the goal of any camera for me.

Thank you to anyone for any input here. I look and I get so overwhelmed at all of the choices.

---------- Post added 10-21-14 at 08:31 AM ----------

Nevermind!!!
Just got a text from someone who saw this- hubby bought me one for my birthday!
Trying to pry which one out of the source!!

10-21-2014, 07:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First....I think you can still find an X20 out there with a little looking...or even an X10. The X20 has better and much faster AF, a few other nice features like information in the viewfinder etc, but the X10 takes wonderful images with the EXR sensor. I have both, and love them both for their minor differences.

Second, you might consider the X30.....Mr Bassie did and from what he has posted it looks like he made a very good choice. He seems pretty well pleased to date, we'll hopefully see and hear more from him soon.

Thirdly....I love the little Fuji X cameras, am no doubt biased, and concede that there are lots of choices out here in the small camera arena at this time. The new Panny LX100 looks great...on paper...if it performs to meet the hype, it could be a real winner, but it is pricey!

I'd do a lot of research and visiting different galleries of the cameras that catch your attention to see what others are shooting with any particular camera. One thing that can't be appreciated online is the superb build quality of the solid bodies on the Fuji X cameras. Maybe you saw that thread where a bear got a hold of a X20? These are very solid cameras, you can feel the quality in your hands and that counts for a lot to many of us. They have NO plastic feel...not like they are something you should throw away in a year or two......they are made to last!

You can look at many of my X20 shots here.....Keep in mind I am a pure amateur, and I post the Good..Bad...and Ugly, so it is unbiased by not only posting the best shots.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35763648@N05/sets/72157633101644164/

Same here with the X10...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35763648@N05/sets/72157627982091489/

I've shot a little of everything with these two cameras, and am seldom disappointed. No......they do not match my K5 in IQ most of the time, but I am shooting "memories" and with a small camera always at hand and always ready, I get 90% more of them than I could ever get with my K5 or any other DSLR. Toy Cameras! They are wonderful!

Regards & Good luck on whatever you choose!
Rupert
10-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Y'all wanna help me spend my money? Toy camera time.

Thank you for replying, I had hoped you would!! I did not see the bear, I think my children may be the equivalent at times

I was told my husband bought me a camera for a birthday gift but he swears he did not, only considered it. The good news there is that I choose but with his blessing. Always nice!

The AF issue, is it only in dim light or is this an issue most all the time?

I see a used X10 now with extra battery and case for $300 shipped. However, I have dealt with AF hunting with the K5 and it is terribly annoying.

ETA: it actually comes with "leather case, adapter, hood, box, and all accessories. Also has extra battery."

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
First....I think you can still find an X20 out there with a little looking...or even an X10. The X20 has better and much faster AF, a few other nice features like information in the viewfinder etc, but the X10 takes wonderful images with the EXR sensor. I have both, and love them both for their minor differences.

Second, you might consider the X30.....Mr Bassie did and from what he has posted it looks like he made a very good choice. He seems pretty well pleased to date, we'll hopefully see and hear more from him soon.

Thirdly....I love the little Fuji X cameras, am no doubt biased, and concede that there are lots of choices out here in the small camera arena at this time. The new Panny LX100 looks great...on paper...if it performs to meet the hype, it could be a real winner, but it is pricey!

I'd do a lot of research and visiting different galleries of the cameras that catch your attention to see what others are shooting with any particular camera. One thing that can't be appreciated online is the superb build quality of the solid bodies on the Fuji X cameras. Maybe you saw that thread where a bear got a hold of a X20? These are very solid cameras, you can feel the quality in your hands and that counts for a lot to many of us. They have NO plastic feel...not like they are something you should throw away in a year or two......they are made to last!

You can look at many of my X20 shots here.....Keep in mind I am a pure amateur, and I post the Good..Bad...and Ugly, so it is unbiased by not only posting the best shots.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35763648@N05/sets/72157633101644164/

Same here with the X10...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35763648@N05/sets/72157627982091489/

I've shot a little of everything with these two cameras, and am seldom disappointed. No......they do not match my K5 in IQ most of the time, but I am shooting "memories" and with a small camera always at hand and always ready, I get 90% more of them than I could ever get with my K5 or any other DSLR. Toy Cameras! They are wonderful!

Regards & Good luck on whatever you choose!

Rupert

Last edited by haycyn; 10-21-2014 at 08:11 AM.
10-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When I read "toy camera" I was going to answer Smena 8M, but I guess tht wasn't what you were after?

10-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hehe! I spoiled to fancy gadgets 😜

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
When I read "toy camera" I was going to answer Smena 8M, but I guess tht wasn't what you were after?
10-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It would be hard to pass up a deal like that on the X10......great little camera. However, the AF is soooo much better on the X20, and if you need faster more accurate AF, it could make a big difference.
With the auto assist light, the X20 will focus in almost total darkness...as it did here. My K5 won't even come close.

I've done some action shots with the X20...we go to the roller derby and I started off using my K5 and fastest 2.8 lenses, but soon discovered I got more keepers with the X20, so now just leave the K5 at home.
X20

I'm not telling you the X20 is like a Nikon D800 at AF, but it will get the job done without too much frustration. Accuracy is very good too.
The various settings on the X cameras that give you film color choices are wonderful....and the Pro Low Light setting is simply amazing! Shoot a still scene in any light with no flash and no tripod...then be thrilled by the result!

Close shooting is great too! Saw this on the fence this morning when I took out the trash......

With 1/4000 you can shoot into the sun!

Portraits of the kids? Not a problem!

The one other thing I like on the X cameras is the controls....all the settings you have on the K5, two solid metal dials, great manual controls if you want to go manual, and a one touch "Q Menu" that lets you make setting to your desire a quick task without roaming through pages of menu items.

Yep...I'm sold....if I didn't have a X camera, I'd be buying one today!

Regards!
10-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
They should pay you, ya know.

I am keeping my Pentax film and any lenses that work with it. And that is the main reason for going with an X camera.

That autofocus issue is a killer for me right now. I can't deal with that frustration again after the K5...but dang that's a great deal on the X10.

Whatcha think buy it and try it then offer it up for sale here for the same price or pass and x20?

These are the decisions in life that are so important!

10-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I got an X30 a week ago and can recommend it. The articulating screen is a great feature to have. I find myself using that much more than the EVF. Also I love the classic chrome film simulation as seen here:

10-21-2014, 10:59 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
ill be the odd man out here. Nokia 1020 smartphone. lol.

Some image samples from it, i think its pretty cool you can shoot raw with a smartphone. (though i wish i could get one to use with my current provider to try)

http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/10/29/another-nokia-first-digital-negatives-raw-dng-lumia/

Last edited by buttons; 10-21-2014 at 11:37 AM.
10-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I might add that the X30 has the same AF engine as the X20 , which is a big improvement over the X10.

However! You could hardly lose on that X10 deal, and if you liked it you could consider the X20/X30 and sell the X10. There is still a good market for all the X cameras. I love the EXR setting on the X10, and if I didn't have one, would be missing it. You could sort of wade into the X cameras for a low cost.

QuoteOriginally posted by haycyn Quote
They should pay you, ya know.
They would pay me, no doubt, if I was a half decent shooter! Like Mr Bassie.....now, that's a real shooter with his X camera!! Nice one Mr Bassie.....gotta love that Classic Chrome too!

There are lots of very nice Toy Cameras out there, and I have already declared my bias, but when you hold one of these little X cameras in your hands and feel that solid body, learn all the choices you have in using it, and get results that fit your needs, it's hard not to be a big fan!
Did I mention, they are damn handsome too!
X20

X10

Regards!
10-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
There are lots of very nice Toy Cameras out there, and I have already declared my bias, but when you hold one of these little X cameras in your hands and feel that solid body, learn all the choices you have in using it, and get results that fit your needs, it's hard not to be a big fan!
The X30 is a very nice camera to use and full of features. The more I use it the more I like it.
10-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
How is the Wifi?
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
I got an X30 a week ago and can recommend it. The articulating screen is a great feature to have. I find myself using that much more than the EVF. Also I love the classic chrome film simulation as seen here:

---------- Post added 10-21-14 at 02:04 PM ----------

I have to have the iOS. I am too knew deep in it and accustomed to it to back away now.
But I agree that is awesome!
QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
ill be the odd man out here. Nokia 1020 smartphone. lol.

Some image samples from it, i think its pretty cool you can shoot raw with a smartphone. (though i wish i could get one to use with my current provider to try)

http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/10/29/another-nokia-first-digital-negatives-raw-dng-lumia/
10-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

How is the Wifi?
I haven't used it much. It seemed fine during my limited testing but I'm not sure it will become a regular part of my workflow.
10-22-2014, 08:18 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just bought the x30. I got the all black. Now the stalking begins!

Last edited by haycyn; 10-22-2014 at 08:31 AM.
10-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Just bought the x30. I got the all black. Now the stalking begins!
Have a great time using it! Looking forward to seeing your pics.