Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What is the general opinion of this camera?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I know nothing about it, but have heard great things of old German lenses.

https://boise.craigslist.org/pho/4740263153.html

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

11-02-2014, 10:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seems to be a rebranded Agfa:
solinetteii
Mike Elek: Agfa Solinette II

You have to guess the focus with the camera as it lacks a rangefinder (just got a simple viewfinder). Check if the shutter runs smoothly and accurately at every setting, so you don't end up with useless leaf shutters needing a CLA like me, and the focusing works.
11-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The camera in the link offered by the OP is not a camera for 35mm film, but for 120/220 (paper backed), in German called "Rollfilm".
Agfa cameras for 35mm ("Kleinbildfilm") were never of the folding type. In today's terms, this would be "medium format", either 40x40, 60x60, 40x60, or 60x90mm negative size. Agfa built cameras for all these formats.

From the picture, it seems to be one of the latest "Agfa Isolette" types.
My links show examples for the Isolette I (with Agnar lens)) and Isolette II (with Apotar lens).

Image quality may depend on the lens. Most Agfa lenses were kind of triplets; standard of the late 50s were Agfa Color Agnar (very average), the much better one was the Apotar. The only 4 element lens was the Solinar, were the version for 24x36 cameras offered outstanding image quality (in the sixties and seventies, I owned and used at least one model with each of these lenses).

Agfa Isolette
AGFA Isolette II Filmkamera, Nostalgie, alte Kamera | eBay

Last edited by RKKS08; 11-15-2014 at 10:08 AM.
11-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That film transport sure looks like 35mm to me.
The manual for the Ansco Regent at Butkus.org confirms this.

11-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is there room for 120/220 film in a camera whose dimensions are these:

QuoteQuote:
Camera collapses to a 2 x 1.25 x 4 inch size.
From the photo with the back open, it does look like a 35mm film path, which would fit within a max 2" height.

Anyway, cool camera and for $23, I'd snatch it up, given the cases, nice condition, and accessories. Not as an investment, but just something nice to have.
11-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
That film transport sure looks like 35mm to me.
The manual for the Ansco Regent at Butkus.org confirms this.
@AquaDome
You are right, it is indeed a rebranded Solinette II.

I was fooled because, the 2 years before I got my first 35mm camera at Christmas 1962 (an Agfa Silette II), I had really studied all the different german models available in that price range (Agfa, Adox, Balda, Voigtländer, EastGerman Wera, etc). At that time, half of the Agfa camera range was still using 120/220 film. And at that time, I think there was no model of the folding type for 35mm anymore. And of course, all of these had a "rapid lever" for film advantage.

I also did not realize that the small pictures of the link were of the same camera. Sorry.
So the image quality of the Apotar should be quite good, but not up to SMC Pentax SLR lenses standard, at least not for color.
11-15-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the included rangefinder, it is a usable camera. Without the rangefinder, it is similar to a Kodak Retinette - bring your tape-measure for focusing.

11-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@yucatanPentax

My father was still a bit of old school, and did not really trust the "tiny" 35mm film format, and used an "Agfa Isoly IV" (plastic fantastic, but an "Apotar" lens and 40x40mm format).
This camera was only slightly bigger than my 35mm-Silette II (but, because of the bigger film format and the "Agnar" lens of the Silette, resolution of the Isoly was MUCH better).

But shooting slides was more expensive, and not every slide projector for 35mm slides would handle the 40x40 slides without vignetting.