Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2014, 11:39 PM   #1

Canon 6D giving unexpected results?

Although I am definitely loving the 6D there is a couple of situations I've come across where I am not getting the results I want. Just wondering if it is me doing something wrong or if the sensor capability is showing its head?

This pic is from the K5 with DA16-45 at 16/5.6

And this is from the 6D with 24-105L at 24/5.6

As you can see the clouds have a strong pink colour cast. Both pics were shot in Raw and then WB manually set to be equal (4000k) (K5 got it closest). The 6D seems to me to not hit the colours that I see as reliably as the K5. Just wondering if anyone knows of anything that is a setting or whatever on the 6D that I might be missing? I read a ton of reviews hailing the 6D as the 'do-all' camera.... but.....

*edit*
Colourspace on both cameras is sRGB!

11-11-2014, 12:00 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Different sensors will produce slightly different colors, but I think in this case the exposure might be what's fooling you. The 6D shot is around half a stop brighter, I'd say.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2014, 12:13 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Regardless of the embedded color space, each camera manufacturer has their own distinct reference color palette. Also add in the differences in rendering color values possessed by each lens, not to mention different lens manufacturers. So, a lot of variability there. I've mounted the same M42 lenses on both my Pentax and Canon DSLR bodies, taken the same shots, and have them look noticeably different. Which I expect.

Fortunately, processing these days makes color relatively malleable. Not just WB, but in Lightroom/ACR you can manipulate H/S/L values and save things to a preset. In addition you have for Canon six separate camera calibration profiles (that mimic the camera's jpg-based rendering values) and one or two for Pentax. This should provide enough wiggle room for you to design your preferred color rendering. You just need to visualize the results you have in mind and get there.

M
11-11-2014, 12:21 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I guess I am so used to what Pentax gives me I was kind of expecting the same results straight up.

11-11-2014, 12:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben78 Quote
Thanks guys, I guess I am so used to what Pentax gives me I was kind of expecting the same results straight up.
Allow yourself time to learn new approaches for getting the best out of your files. When I added a 7D five or six years ago, it took me weeks and weeks to learn to work the noisy, dense files to my satisfaction. And then over time beyond I developed a personal method for getting color right for the conditions I shoot in.

And then adding the 5DMK3 earlier this year entailed a very different approach, but a much easier learning curve as the files are really a pleasure to process. The 6D is supposed to be noticeably better for image rendering, so allow yourself the pleasure.

M
11-11-2014, 01:10 AM   #6

Original Poster
Ok just had another go at it, this time using the grad filters as well as split toning and feel a whole lot better about it.

Could probably do with some NR in the car as shadow lifting introduced a whole lot of noise there.
11-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Have you created a color profile for each camera? Used an X-rite color checker?