Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #16
Veteran Member

$1000 will do a lot for your pentax kit in terms of len(s) and is likely to hold better value IMO.

Also, I don't think the above set up will perform any better than your K5II will.

11-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I guess if you have time in your hands... buy it... if you're more into taking pictures than testing gear you already know you won't stick with in the long term... then go take pictures ...

Isn't 1000 dollars more than enough to get a 31mm Limited? just saying (fits right between your 15 and your 50... lol)
yes, most likely an 35 limited and 70 limited and even a god tripod if buy the lenses used...

---------- Post added 11-18-14 at 03:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
$1000 will do a lot for your pentax kit in terms of len(s) and is likely to hold better value IMO.

Also, I don't think the above set up will perform any better than your K5II will.
no it wont, i'm completely sure of it myself.

then again, for the prince, is there anything to lose?
11-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Capture Lights Quote
no it wont, i'm completely sure of it myself.

then again, for the prince, is there anything to lose?
Yep, a thousand dollars...
If you're asking, then you're not the kind of person who buys a 100ft yacht on a whim...
If you are in that tax bracket then... why are you asking?
11-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Yep, a thousand dollars...
If you're asking, then you're not the kind of person who buys a 100ft yacht on a whim...
If you are in that tax bracket then... why are you asking?
1000$ is not that much, but then i've earned about $800 in net profit this month from my ebay sales. (aside from my job)
you know, i'm kinda lean towards on buying,

i have an confession,
i got an addiction...

11-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #20
Veteran Member

1000$ is not that much, but then i've earned about $800 in net profit this month from my ebay sales. (aside from my job)
you know, i'm kinda lean towards on buying,

i have an confession,
i got an addiction...
Have you ever read that article on Olivier Duong's blog? The one titled something like "how GAS made me sad and lose thousands"?
It's since been removed, but I believe you can still find it with internet archives, snapshot sites or the like.
It's a very worthwhile read...
11-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, if you have the money and you want to try it, go ahead and get it. You certainly don't need our approval to do so and you'll be able to flip it for at least the same amount on ebay if you don't like it.

I'm just not particularly tempted towards older four thirds bodies and running four thirds with APS-C doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me - more sense to run APS-C or four thirds with a full frame body -- one for longer lenses, the other for wide angles.
11-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Have you ever read that article on Olivier Duong's blog? The one titled something like "how GAS made me sad and lose thousands"?
It's since been removed, but I believe you can still find it with internet archives, snapshot sites or the like.
It's a very worthwhile read...
i dont think i'm able to find it any more.

btw, for the past few month, i've sold most of my lenses that i purchase with some gain.

i know the tragic of spending thousands on gadgets, but my photography spending throught out the year sums to an total of 748$ (that consist of my k5ii, 15, 50, 70-200, tripod, bags, website, studio lamps, my gf's nex 5 and her lenses) *748 is the net spend that included all the ebay/paypal fee, and shipping.

still, i know i should not drop 1k on a system that i dont think i'm going to keep around long, but...that but

11-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #23
Veteran Member

i dont think i'm able to find it any more.

btw, for the past few month, i've sold most of my lenses that i purchase with some gain.

i know the tragic of spending thousands on gadgets, but my photography spending throught out the year sums to an total of 748$ (that consist of my k5ii, 15, 50, 70-200, tripod, bags, website, studio lamps, my gf's nex 5 and her lenses) *748 is the net spend that included all the ebay/paypal fee, and shipping.

still, i know i should not drop 1k on a system that i dont think i'm going to keep around long, but...that but
Duh... now it looks like it's back online... here!
Confessions of an ex gear addict: How buying cameras and lenses made me miserable and lose thousands - Olivier Duong | Street Photography | Fort Lauderdale Wedding Photography
11-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
oh, and there's a gx1 thrown in there somewhere in the bundle...
Hmm, that makes the bundle a little more interesting.

Are you interested in this because you have something specific in mind, or is it appealing because its a big value, like a $10 buffet?
11-18-2014, 02:32 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I would have to agree with Rondec and others who echo the same sentiment. Running an APS-C system with 4/3 or micro4/3 does not make any sense, while APS-C or 4/3 combined with Full frame would provide a much flexible system for a variety of needs. Pentax (aside from 645z) is still the most affordable system in the DSLR arena especially since the recent price drop of k-3. We don't know what is missing in your photography adventure now... so it is hard to say whether this bundle to meet your needs or not - but with $1000, I do think that you have many options... and perhaps this is only one of the many. But IMHO, it does not sound like a convincing one.
11-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Let me change my answer.

It seems like you do well with buying and selling, so just get it and re-sell it for a profit. You know the pieces are worth more than the asking price.
11-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #27
Veteran Member

*snip*snip*
Awesome! Count your blessings! There's a lot people who would say $1000 is a whole lot of money.
11-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #28
Veteran Member

It's that same old GAS we all have, resist the urge for another system, you don't need, i personally enjoy using my gear now the ones i have kept...one DSLR and one mirrorless ...even with those two i just want to use one and i might most likely give up the mirrorless and just shoot DSLR.
11-18-2014, 06:09 PM   #29

Original Poster
.....i gave in, i hope i dont end up like what i read in the article mentioned above.
11-19-2014, 01:04 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Looks like I'm too late....

Basically, been there, done that.
G3, 14/2.8; 20/1.8; 45/1.8
Nice system really.

Reasons why I left m4/3.
1. File broke up too early in PP
2. In the end, still need a bag to carry the system in which case it became rather near to using a K30+3 primes which would often give a bit better DOF control and file quality.
3. Adapted lenses not really fun due to 2x crop factor. (so basically stuck with native lenses)