Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
If you had, say, a Nikon or a Canon, I believe you'd come to like the glass available for those systems just as much as you do with your Ricoh system.
Undoubtedly true. However, keep in mind that Canon's and Nikon's best glass tend to be their high-end FF glass, which is rather expensive. With Pentax I can stick with a cheaper APS-C system and yet have access to some of the best APS-C glass out there.

I also just happen to prefer the color rendering of Pentax glass. Not saying it's better than Canon or Nikon, just a bit different. I attend bi-monthly photo critique sessions with many of the leading photographers in my local area, and my images tend to look a little different, in terms of color characteristics, from all the other photographs shown by members in the group (most of whom are shooting either Canon or Nikon). I appreciate that difference, as it provides at least a little something, however subtle, to distinguish myself from the Canon and Nikon herd. If I'm shooting at Oxbow Bend or Maroon Bells or The Windows, I'd really prefer not to be shooting the same handful of lenses as 90% of the other serious photographers who have also shot there.

01-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
I also just happen to prefer the color rendering of Pentax glass. Not saying it's better than Canon or Nikon, just a bit different.
And you bring up a good point. How many times do I see contests here that say shot with a "Pentax Camera" but do not enforce Pentax glass. Apart from the color integration from the sensor, a "Pentax" image is largely defined by the glass and the sensor. So when people submit their "Pentax" unique image shot with a Sony sensor and Sigma glass, for example, just what is Pentax about that, I wonder. It says to me the glass is an insignificant contribution but it's not. Go figure. I'd argue shooting Pentax glass on a Sony camera and post processing the RAW image with color grading is just as "Pentax" as shooting with a Pentax body in terms of the resulting image.

Last edited by tuco; 01-09-2015 at 11:18 AM.
01-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

On the topic of Pentax lenses - I like their color and rendering, even going back through the old Taks. A while ago, I was out taking some landscapes and used my Contax Zeiss 85. When I loaded the images, that one particular image has some colors that I did not really expect. The Pentax glass was consistent. I am somewhat kicking myself in that I should have (if I knew), also mounted my Auto Tak 85 for a real comparison on color. I never really had encountered such a difference previously. Up to that point, the Contax had been a tad different, but in a pleasing way - but different enough to provide a difference to contrast the Pentax glass.

01-10-2015, 02:07 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I dunno. I have 5 camera brands. I find the glass on each system just as good as the next and like mounting Zeiss on the ones that you can. If you had, say, a Nikon or a Canon, I believe you'd come to like the glass available for those systems just as much as you do with your Ricoh system.
Probably so. I don't own or, have the funds to own more than one system. It took me a long time to build my Pentax line up. I'm used to my gear and I don't do this for a living, so I'm thinking I will stick with what I have.

I do think that Pentax lenses render differently (not necessarily better) than top glass from other brands. The FA limiteds in particular feel that way to me.