Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A new FF for under $1000 ???

I just read a few days ago that Sony is thinking about releasing a really basic FF camera for under $1000. Rumors said that it will be part of an A5 series... mmmmm this will make Canikons think twice about their FF prices for the future.. And Pentax.. where will Pentax stand agains this?? :O :O

Dont know how basic the camera is, but for the price is not going to be at all nothing compared with for example the A7ii

Rumors: Sony A5 Cheap Full Frame E-mount Mirrorless for $799 ! | Camera News at Cameraegg

A Super Cheap FF E-mount Mirrorless (Sony A5) Rumored for $799

Double Full Frame rumors: A5 for 799 Euro and new Leica Monochrome in February. | Mirrorless Rumors

01-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
And Pentax.. where will Pentax stand agains this??
Nowhere... Pentax is doooooooomed!!!!
01-20-2015, 01:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Personally, I'd rather Ricoh not put FF in a mirrorless camera. The K-3 would seem to be a perfectly good form factor for a FF version. It might not be marketable for under $1000, but if the price can be under $1500, that might be good enough. Such a camera would have lots of advantages, I would think, over a Sony, in terms of size, features, performance.
01-20-2015, 01:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The sky is falling! Run to the caves!
SAR (which probably made it up, together with most of their rumors ) is calling it an "SR2", pretty much every rumor can get at least that ranking unless it's outrageously ridiculous. Yet Pentax should "stand against this".
Let's not forget, the 645z was also declared beaten by a rumored Sony medium format which is still MIA, and that was an "SR3".

01-20-2015, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

The rumored FF Sony looks like an A6000. That would work nicely - as long as the camera included an integrated EVF, built-in flash and a hot shoe. Pentax? I've stopped wondering about FF from them quite a while ago. That doesn't mean that it's not going to happen and I will continue to use my Pentax K-5, K-5 IIs and Ricoh GR in the meantime. But it's almost like Ricoh is running Pentax as a hobby. Maybe that's a good thing. Hobbies don't always have to be profitable.
01-20-2015, 02:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Let's not forget, the 645z was also declared beaten by a rumored Sony medium format which is still MIA, and that was an "SR3".
Or the endlessly rumored Canon medium format.
01-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

In Australia in late 2014, I saw the A7 for sale new at less than AUD$1000 (= much less than USD$1000) when the A7 was on run-out, and combined with store discounts. The total A7 price could end up even less if puchasers put the free bundled Metabones lens adapter for sale on eBay, which a lot of buyers seem to have done.

So at least locally, a full-featured sub $1000 FF has already happened. Depending on exchange rates, I guess, it would not surprise me the least to see it happen again in 2015. Sony in particular can be a very aggressive price setter.

01-20-2015, 03:31 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Or the endlessly rumored Canon medium format.
Sony. Canon. Olympus. Nikon. Fuji. Samsung.
01-20-2015, 03:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree with Sholtzma. Pentax should develop a mirrorless FF camera. Going head to head with NIkon, Canon and Sony would be especially hard as they have been in this market for years. Mirrorless FF is new territory, and if Pentax does it right, they could stake a claim quickly. They would have to really up their game with AF though.
01-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Agree with Sholtzma. Pentax should develop a mirrorless FF camera. Going head to head with NIkon, Canon and Sony would be especially hard as they have been in this market for years. Mirrorless FF is new territory, and if Pentax does it right, they could stake a claim quickly. They would have to really up their game with AF though.
The AF sensors are on the sensor anyway these days, if Pentax choses the right sensor. It's only a matter of the right software, I suppose.

I would like to see a proper mirrorless from Pentax, though I don't know if Pentax can do it at this point. The suppliers they rely on aren't exactly the most advanced there is, especially in terms of processor, so we might get a mirrorless camera with a sub par EVF that has a lot of lag, for example, while Samsung has been able to eliminate lag thanks to their very fast processor (which Pentax probably can't get).
01-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
....and if Pentax does it right, they could stake a claim quickly.....
Pentax and the word "quickly" do not belong in the same sentence
01-21-2015, 01:15 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Developing a camera would take a few years (e.g. Samsung recently stated 3, for the NX1); is that quick enough?
Anyway, the MILC market is crowded enough so that competing on it is not easier than on the DSLR market. On the contrary, I'd say it's harder - without the support of a loyal user base.

Spodeworld, you agree with Sholtzma that "Pentax should develop a mirrorless FF camera", but Sholtzma said" "Personally, I'd rather Ricoh not put FF in a mirrorless camera.". It's a bit confusing...
01-21-2015, 01:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

SAR (which probably made it up, together with most of their rumors ) is calling it an "SR2", pretty much every rumor can get at least that ranking unless it's outrageously ridiculous.
Sony did have this one patented though: Sony ?????????NEX-5?????????????So-net??? So the rumor isn't as unlikely as you try to claim.

Let see, the 645D went from rumor to fruition in... Well we all know how long that took. So, now you're expecting Sony to market a medium format in under three months? I know you think highly of Sony, but lets not overdo it.

---------- Post added 21-01-15 at 09:41 ----------

Anyway, the MILC market is crowded enough so that competing on it is not easier than on the DSLR market.
Wouldn't competition on a free market drive prices down, exactly as claimed by the rumors?
01-21-2015, 01:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Developing a camera would take a few years (e.g. Samsung recently stated 3, for the NX1); is that quick enough?
Anyway, the MILC market is crowded enough so that competing on it is not easier than on the DSLR market. On the contrary, I'd say it's harder - without the support of a loyal user base.

Spodeworld, you agree with Sholtzma that "Pentax should develop a mirrorless FF camera", but Sholtzma said" "Personally, I'd rather Ricoh not put FF in a mirrorless camera.". It's a bit confusing...
3 years sounds about in line what I think I recall other companies have said. That Samsung did the NX1 in 3 years is impressive IMHO... they do have lots of resources.

I think it is actually good that mirrorless doesn't have a loyal user base. It levels the field. People are going to the system that has the best overall package, and since everyone is starting new it's easier to establish yourself. You don't have to fight against a 30 year head start. The loyal Pentax user base is pretty small.

IMHO mirrorless is going to win over DSLRs, so the advantage Canikon have is going away. The sooner you build up a loyal user base and a solid mirrorless lens line up the better. IMHO.
01-21-2015, 05:29 AM   #15
Pentaxian

3 years, on a stable company, and maybe they had previous research leading onto that. Ricoh Imaging had to struggle with the merger of Pentax Imaging Systems and Ricoh's own camera division, and with fixing the sorry state they were left in by Hoya. Only 3 years and 3 months passed since Ricoh took control... we should keep that in mind. Yet we had the K-3 and the 645z.

"IMHO mirrorless is going to win over DSLRs" - perhaps, eventually. Perhaps photography and cameras will be banned altogether, before that.
Right now I'm glad I can still choose a superior solution

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Sony did have this one patented though: Sony ?????????NEX-5?????????????So-net??? So the rumor isn't as unlikely as you try to claim.
They patented a FF camera under $1000? Are you sure, I mean, really sure about that? As in: can you point it out?
The patent predates the first FF "NEX" cameras, so it might simply refer to that.

Let see, the 645D went from rumor to fruition in... Well we all know how long that took. So, now you're expecting Sony to market a medium format in under three months? I know you think highly of Sony, but lets not overdo it.
I was talking about the 645Z, and in a completely different context.

Wouldn't competition on a free market drive prices down, exactly as claimed by the rumors?
You mean, making it harder for Ricoh Imaging to make a profit on that market? Sure.
I disagree with the "exactly as claimed by the rumors".