Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2015, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Fujifilm X-T1

Let me say first that I have a Pentax K3 and love it. But I lusted after the X-T1 and finally bought one and a 23mm f1.4 XF lens. The surprising thing is, the new camera has made me appreciate the K3 even more.

The X-T1 is a very good camera and I wish that Pentax had a decent mirrorless option. The X-T1's EVF is quite good and the image quality, build quality and lenses are very good.

If I could marry the Pentax firmware, menus and ergonomics with the X-T1 size and mirrorless advantages, it would be a killer machine. Actually, there is only a 300gram (roughly) penalty with the K3, but it's a rugged beast that you know you're not likely to damage easily. I suppose the larger lenses (because of the longer flange focal distance) add even more heft which meant the last time I traveled it was with a Fuji X100 and not the K3.

The short story here is that while I really like the Fuji X-T1, I won't be getting rid of the K3 anytime soon. And for what it's worth, I think the APS-C size sensor/lens combo makes much more sense to me than chasing the upcoming Pentax FF DSLR. I really hope that Pentax has a mirrorless development strategy that is serious and not driven by a graphic design imperative.

02-07-2015, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I almost bought the X-T1 several times...mostly because it is just so damn handsome! There is a lot to like there, no doubt about it, but for practical purposes the K3 would be a much better choice for most, I do believe. I don't find the K3 to be ugly...but it is just so "ordinary". The X-T1 is certainly not ordinary!
It will be interesting to see what Fuji does next.......a FF mirrorless? You can bet they have something coming soon to stay in the hunt.

Regards!
02-07-2015, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

My parents have bought the XT1. I have tried it and liked it very much but I am still not convinced by the EVF and the ergonomics. It will take more than that to deter me from my beloved K-3
02-07-2015, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I am both a Canon and Fuji X user currently...Pentax has nothing to worry about either brands or the others not mentioned. Pentax like Olympus in short have always produced great compact SLRs and have continued that trend into the digital age (yes i know of the K7 ) and with the upcoming FF body for Pentax and new lenses in tow...Pentax users current and future should not need worry themselves...just get out there and keep shooting.
As long as what you have does what you need, don't fret over what hype that is being thrown at you...you'll save a LOT OF MONEY if you stick to that thought...

02-07-2015, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
As long as what you have does what you need, don't fret over what hype that is being thrown at you...you'll save a LOT OF MONEY if you stick to that thought...
The best part is that we have so many choices. I think Pentax is generally an excellent choice for most shooters, and maybe it is a little more economical too. For those that want something "different", then Fuji and Sony are offering that option. Finding your real need is the key to choosing the right camera...in my case, it is a Toy Camera. Not right for everyone, but just right for me.

You are right about the hype...it can cause real grief, and major expense. You have to think and reason before you jump!

Regards!
02-08-2015, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Both cameras are close enough in size and you can also shoot small primes on the K-3. So having both it and the XT1 seems really redundant, IMHO. But a choice of a FF DSLR with a its big grip for big lenses and a small nimble APS-C mirrorless for what it does best justifies having both cameras way more than 2 APS-C cameras. But of course YMMV.
02-08-2015, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I'm with Tuco, that fuji has the same strengths and weaknesses as a Pentax, so although it looks nice on the surface it's not a good companion system for pentax shooters. AF and video sucks on both

02-11-2015, 10:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I had the X-T1 for a while and the 23mm.
It was able to produce wonderful images most definitely.
But I never got used to the Fuji ergonomics, it just fought me the whole time...and without the large grip, it was really uncomfortable for me.

The 6D + 35mm f2 IS is cheaper and stabilized.
Now, I am not trying to talk anyone into anything...but I think you have to pay a pretty big price pentalty to get equivalent IQ from the Fuji system.

Last edited by cali92rs; 02-11-2015 at 10:55 AM.
02-16-2015, 07:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just to stir this up...

I'm not completely a fan of the XT1. It has a nice viewfinder, but many near the top now do.

You can always use the rangefinder design XE-1/XE-2 and the 27mm, rather than the 23mm. Depending on what you are after in the system, the 27mm is no slouch (sharpness, contrast and colour), and weighs nothing. Personally, I find that the rangefinder ergonomics could not be simpler. At less than 1/2 the weight and bulk of a K-5IIs or K-3. And it has a built-in flash (occasionally very useful). The "kit lens" 18-55mm of the Fuji is better than many of the primes out there (and certainly better than the native Pentax zooms).

I'll give you that the focus speed is lousy on the X-E1, and agreed that the video on both that and the K-5IIs I own is not flash.

I'm using Pentax WR zooms (18-135mm, 60-250mm) and that isn't going to change (longer telephoto lenses IMO work better with dSLR bodies), but I am seriously thinking hard about my Pentax 15mm and 70mm lenses, especially now I have the 14mm Fuji (I need to write a comparison article between the 15mm and 14mm too).
03-27-2015, 11:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

as a Previous Pentaxian (well...one day Pentaxian, forever Pentaxian), i have my thoughts towards this topic
I had very similar thoughts with you.
However my point is: double think the size of the sensor and see what are the purposes of these machines.
Pentax K3: current APSC flagship from Pentax, APS-C size sensor.
Fuji XT1: current APSC flaship from fujifilm, APS-C size sensor.
So...the problem is: if you didn't buy it immediately, this means you might not be that rich to afford two camera lines from both pentax and fuji.
XT-1, IMO, is somehow overrated and overpriced. for that price, you can get an FF with hundreds more, or even a very nice used a7 or something like that. The upgrade would be significant.
If I were you, i might keep K3, get Fuji for fun. not X-T1---considering other cheaper options from fuji, like x-e1, x-m1;
Plus, for me, a FF body+compact APSC makes more sense to me, however it's only me.
03-28-2015, 05:46 AM   #11
Forum Member

Ive just returned to Pentax land after nearly a year with the XT1. Best thing i ever did was to get rid of the XT1.. I was sucked in by the retro looks and lenses. The lenses are very good, but the retro dials get old very quickly.. EVF is great but if you spend 1/2 days shooting through the EVF I would end up with a headache. Battery life is awful. Simple features like back button focusing arnt fully implemented...etc...etc . AFC tracking is just ok and low light performance is poor.

With the retro dials many people say its easier and they can just glance at the camera to see their settings.. I must be missing something because I can glance at the LCD display on the top of the camera and see my settings...

With all that said, I do like what Fuji are doing, but the system needs to mature some more. One area they have nailed are the lenses.. There primes 14,23,35,56,60 are amazing and the new XF f2.8 zooms 16-55 and 50-140 are incredible.

The small body of the XT1 is great for the smaller sized primes and zooms.. The new zooms 50-140 and 16-55 are large in comparison and without the battery grip the camera is very unbalanced. Even the new primes coming i.e. 16mm f1.4 and 90mm F2 are large and will need a grip too..
03-28-2015, 06:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The ergonomics and menus are what kept me from buying an X-T1. Ultimately I went with the A7II for the larger sensor in the same size package. If it were not for the improved ergonomics of the A7II and IBIS I probably would not have picked up a mirrorless body. IQ with the A7II and the Zeiss 55mm F/1.8 has been phenomenal. The sharpness, clarity, micro-contrast, and color has been wonderful. I wanted to like the X-T1. I really like the lenses and I have several friends who shoot with Fuji.

Fuji says they have 8% of the MILC market share and they expect to double that in 2015-2016. Given the size of their professional grade zooms I think it is safe to say that Fuji has a larger "pro" body coming soon. A camera with a larger battery and more DSLR-ish ergonomics like the Samsung NX-1.
03-28-2015, 07:16 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The ergonomics and menus are what kept me from buying an X-T1. Ultimately I went with the A7II for the larger sensor in the same size package. If it were not for the improved ergonomics of the A7II and IBIS I probably would not have picked up a mirrorless body. IQ with the A7II and the Zeiss 55mm F/1.8 has been phenomenal. The sharpness, clarity, micro-contrast, and color has been wonderful. I wanted to like the X-T1. I really like the lenses and I have several friends who shoot with Fuji.

Fuji says they have 8% of the MILC market share and they expect to double that in 2015-2016. Given the size of their professional grade zooms I think it is safe to say that Fuji has a larger "pro" body coming soon. A camera with a larger battery and more DSLR-ish ergonomics like the Samsung NX-1.
I think you are right. First, apparently there will be a lower level body (XT1 clone, without weather sealing), then for CP+, the higher end body (not convinced that this will be an X-Pro form factor replacement).

Getting off-topic, but curious about the A7II versus A7 - I get IBIS, but what were the ergonomic improvements?
03-28-2015, 07:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
I think you are right. First, apparently there will be a lower level body (XT1 clone, without weather sealing), then for CP+, the higher end body (not convinced that this will be an X-Pro form factor replacement).

Getting off-topic, but curious about the A7II versus A7 - I get IBIS, but what were the ergonomic improvements?
The grip on the A7II is much bigger and the shutter release button has been moved forward onto the grip. The camera body itself had to be made wider by 7mm (I think) for the IBIS to be put inside. The thicker body and grip really improve the handling of the camera for me.
Attached Images

03-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The grip on the A7II is much bigger and the shutter release button has been moved forward onto the grip. The camera body itself had to be made wider by 7mm (I think) for the IBIS to be put inside. The thicker body and grip really improve the handling of the camera for me.
Cheers for that. Yes, I could see the grip, shutter button, dial and even the placement of the two custom buttons would made a huge difference.