Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2015, 09:41 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Konost digital rangefinder

Hello members,

I came across this yesterday, and it got me pretty excited

Konost |

I got to use a film Leica for an afternoon a few months ago and really enjoyed the focusing experience (and proceeded to ruin my roll of film on my first and only attempt at developping ). This looks like exactly the same experience, albeit for the digital focusing patch - the viewfinder is still optical. I understand Fuji has a focusing aid of the sort, but, I think, only when using the EVF?

Do you think this is just vaporware, or has it any chance of really getting out there in the real world?

03-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow! I should be fairly inexpensive not having any bells and whistles, just a Plain Jain camera. ha ha
03-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like a lot of unproven tech ideas have to work out - I'd give it a low chance of getting to market.
I've used Leica rangefinders since the mid 1960s (along with SLRs for telephoto and maro work), and have never had problems with their optical rangefinders - very well proven technology when done right. Canon also made great RF cameras in the '50s & '60s which I still use, and the Zeiss Ikon ZM of the early 2000s had the best range-viewfinder of all. There's just a small market for RFs. Other than the novelty factor I don't see a compelling reason for the Konost, or a market for one.
The key for Leica lenses is not the RF, but a sensor that can handle the light angles from the lenses.
03-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Looks like a lot of unproven tech ideas have to work out
I would agree. I came across this project last week and was intrigued by it since I have long thought that a no-frills digital interchangeable lens camera was something I would like. The mockup body has a wide rangefinder baseline (good), but I was surprised to read that the rangefinder will not be a traditional optical unit. Instead, they will use some sort of digital overlay using a technology that has yet to be developed.

Steve

BTW...I wish I had purchased an Ikon ZM when they were being closed out a couple of years ago. It was a short product run (only about 5 years), but the product itself was a gem.

03-05-2015, 04:12 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
BTW...I wish I had purchased an Ikon ZM when they were being closed out a couple of years ago. It was a short product run (only about 5 years), but the product itself was a gem.
I bought a used one as they were disappearing. Wonderful to use. Wish they would do a digital version.
03-05-2015, 04:53 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Wish they would do a digital version.
Mr. K. at Cosina is not fond of digital...at least not after his work with Epson

Steve