Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2015, 09:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax glass for Sigma SD

Hi after seeing what the DP3M can do,thinking of the SD15 as very cheap now.Can I use Pentax or Olympus Zuiko glass on these? Can't seem to find any adapters online???
Plan to use it for IR work and maybe static birds..after seeing how the foveon sensor blows away anything short of MF, its hard not to to get hooked on these.
Thanks for any help

03-02-2015, 10:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Hi after seeing what the DP3M can do,thinking of the SD15 as very cheap now.Can I use Pentax or Olympus Zuiko glass on these? Can't seem to find any adapters online???
Plan to use it for IR work and maybe static birds..after seeing how the foveon sensor blows away anything short of MF, its hard not to to get hooked on these.
Thanks for any help
The latest FF cameras out-resolve the Foveon sensors, and don't require a whole bunch of software intervention to do so.

Wait, you realize the SD15 is a 14MP (according to Sigma) camera, right? The resultant files are 2652 x 1768. Its not a "Merrill".

Last edited by luftfluss; 03-02-2015 at 11:22 PM.
03-03-2015, 06:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
SD15 is not the DP2m equivalent.
For that, you need a SD1m.

I suggest you look to ebay for SD1 adapters as a gauge of what can be used on it.
If I am not wrong, its mainly M42 mount lenses.

I considered such a camera but gave up the idea shortly.
Its as big as a Canon 5D series.
Its also a very slow working camera.

Shooting shallow DOF type shots sort of wastes its resolution potential (the main reason for it other than unique colors/bnw)

So what I get would be getting is a big camera/system that is rather hard to bring a 2nd faster reaction/versatility camera.
A mainly stopped down camera to maximize its resolution advantage.

Add to that, the difficulty to get Sigma stuff over here in Singapore.

Might as well just use DP1m (with pano head for wider), plus a DP2m or DP3m.
Add a Pentax Q with 01 prime or X100s (or whatever is one's poison) for the faster reaction camera.

YMMV of course if you shoot only stopped down stuff (ie. detail shots, landscapes)
03-03-2015, 08:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
SD15 is not the DP2m equivalent.
For that, you need a SD1m.

I suggest you look to ebay for SD1 adapters as a gauge of what can be used on it.
If I am not wrong, its mainly M42 mount lenses.

I considered such a camera but gave up the idea shortly.
Its as big as a Canon 5D series.
Its also a very slow working camera.

Shooting shallow DOF type shots sort of wastes its resolution potential (the main reason for it other than unique colors/bnw)

So what I get would be getting is a big camera/system that is rather hard to bring a 2nd faster reaction/versatility camera.
A mainly stopped down camera to maximize its resolution advantage.

Add to that, the difficulty to get Sigma stuff over here in Singapore.

Might as well just use DP1m (with pano head for wider), plus a DP2m or DP3m.
Add a Pentax Q with 01 prime or X100s (or whatever is one's poison) for the faster reaction camera.

YMMV of course if you shoot only stopped down stuff (ie. detail shots, landscapes)
Have the Dp3M, so thought this was just as good
As i said main reason was to use for IR ..B&W & color,as so easy to remove the IR filter.So it would be stopped down & just for special motifs, as the price is cheaper than having an old DSLR converted--at least here in Denmark
K5II is my main camera & Nikon 1 V2 fro 60 FPS shots!