Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2015, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Lenses Are About to Get Smaller and Better - Flat Optics

https://fstoppers.com/gear/lenses-are-about-get-smaller-and-better-thanks-ha...t-optics-60674

03-08-2015, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So professors at Harvard managed to change the laws of physics and economics of manufacturing? Sounds like a Nobel prize is in the future...

...or the article is a bit more hype than reality.
03-08-2015, 08:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
NSA, I bet they're all over this.
03-09-2015, 06:29 AM   #4
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
So professors at Harvard managed to change the laws of physics
No, they haven't changed the laws of physics. But metamaterials (or metasurfaces) let you do things that can't be done with a single ordinary material. For example, you can create materials with a negative index of refraction, or make perfect lenses (for particular wavelengths).

03-09-2015, 06:42 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I'm betting I can still take crummy pictures with them just like I do now! Wanna bet?

Regards!
03-09-2015, 06:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I really enjoy living in this day age. I've given up on trying to understand everything they come up with.
03-09-2015, 07:02 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting.

I'm sure it will be years before such tech "hits the street" and even then, probably traditional lens designs will end up being cheaper, at least till they sort out manufacturing processes necessary to mass produce them.

03-09-2015, 07:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
NSA, I bet they're all over this.
No, not NSA. More likely NRO.

They would have been on top of this tech years ago. But it wouldn't be public.
03-09-2015, 11:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

So professors at Harvard managed to change the laws of physics and economics of manufacturing? Sounds like a Nobel prize is in the future...

...or the article is a bit more hype than reality.

...or you didn't actually read the article and they aren't saying they changed physics nor manufacturing processes.
03-09-2015, 11:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They have not changed physics, but have invented a new "thing" that acts like a lens but doesn't refract but reflect with tiny mirrors. It is fascinating and I'd love to hear more about it and see it come to the marketplace
03-09-2015, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Geez, can't you guys detect sarcasm?

My PhD research involved metamaterials and nonlinear optics. Most research on them is fairly incremental--yet written up in the introduction to the paper as the biggest discovery since fission--and whenever anyone writes a promotional article about this stuff, the claims of what it can actually do are usually based on what the authors claim it can do eventually. Reality is that it will take a few more years and a half dozen papers before anything really comes of it.

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
No, they haven't changed the laws of physics. But metamaterials (or metasurfaces) let you do things that can't be done with a single ordinary material. For example, you can create materials with a negative index of refraction, or make perfect lenses (for particular wavelengths).
Metals have negative index of refraction. Well, in the Drude model they do. But that can be a little rough for some applications. More properly, they are complex valued, but if you're only after the phase and aren't worried about attenuation (because you're in the regime where your wave won't be extinguished). The big draw of metamaterials is that you do some really wacky things with bandgap filters, amplification of certain frequencies, etc. that you can't do with single materials.
03-09-2015, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #12
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Geez, can't you guys detect sarcasm?
ALL THE TIME, when someone writes in a sarcastic way... (didya catch my sarcasm there, did ya? did ya?)

The fstoppers article is well written and without much hype, aside from the title which was probably handled by an editor rather than the author of the article.

The article on the Harvard web site is completely over the top, and properly hyped just like those written by any other university press office as it is their job to help the research and alumni dollars flowing in.

And yes, I could have gotten a lot more technical in my response, but unless you've had some exposure to metamaterials they can hard to understand because they do seem to allow you to violate laws of optics or mechanics, until you get a better understanding of how they work.
03-10-2015, 08:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Flat elements developed by Harvard could make camera lenses smaller, lighter and better: Digital Photography Review
03-10-2015, 08:32 PM   #14
Pentaxian

But, will it be compatible with FF?