Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #16
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
laea4 is more expensive(?), so i can see the reasoning behind getting an laea2, when you have a crop camera... it's just if you decide to go ff later, it's back to square one.

now, wrt the ongoing trolling about the laea4

"Sony A7 MKII with Tamron 150-600mm. 1/1000 sec @ f/11 @ ISO 800 @ 600mm
The shot above of porpoising penguins summarizes my experience with this camera/lens combo. The LE-EA4’s phase detection AF and the system’s focus tracking capability allowed for capturing these completely unpredictable penguins as they jumped from the water. Their position can’t really be anticipated and their time above water is faster than one’s ability to anticipate.

In this instance I had the A7 MKII on high speed mode with continuous Live View (7 FPS) and would fire bursts as the penguins leapt from the water. I had the camera set to 1/1000 sec for freezing the motion, and at f/11 for adequate DOF. The cameras was in Auto-ISO mode and selected ISO 800, which was fine in this situation.

Virtually every frame out of hundreds shot, showed excellent lock-on and tracking. I frankly don’t think that I have ever used a long zoom lens / camera combo that could have done better.
https://luminous-landscape.com/sony-a7ii-tamron-150-600mm-antarctica/

that lens is only available for Canon, Nikon & Sony A-mount, no k-mount.

03-19-2015, 06:59 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
The shot above of porpoising penguins summarizes my experience with this camera/lens combo.
You're easily impressed, Osv.

There's no way the penguins on either side are being tracked.

The LE-EA4 has no sensors out there. It covers only 10 percent of the frame.

If you want a hint as to why they're also in focus, look at the aperture - f11.

Do you think Canon/Nikon/Pentax lenses lack f11?

that lens is only available for Canon, Nikon & Sony A-mount, no k-mount.
Oy, vey! You go on about the walking corpse that is A-mount, but your own source says at the end:

" it was announced that the Sony A-mount version of this [Sigma] lens, which had been part of the proposed line-up, has been discontinued, even before launch. It appears that third party lens makers don’t see too bright a future for the Sony A mount, and frankly Sony isn’t doing much of a job to convince them otherwise."
03-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #18
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You're easily impressed, Osv.

There's no way the penguins on either side are being tracked.
you don't have a clue where that shot is focused, because you don't know how it's been cropped.

good grief.

Oy, vey! You go on about the walking corpse that is A-mount, but your own source says at the end:
lets see, i just gave examples of two more ff f/2.8 lenses that will never come out in k-mount, but they will be available in a-mount.

the only dead platform that i see here is the one that nobody is making glass for, and that's k-mount.
03-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

you don't have a clue where that shot is focused,
Are you trying to defend the weakest spec FF AF module on the market?

Paying all that money for 15 points, three cross-type, clustered in the centre?

It appears to be the system from the old APS-C A-65.

I'd back Boriscleto and Normhead to get *better* shots than that with their gear.

You do know who those gentlemen are, right - or do you hate Pentax users as well as their cameras?

lets see, i just gave examples of two more ff f/2.8 lenses that will never come out in k-mount, but they will be available in a-mount.
Sigma Australia have claimed that the 150-600 is coming out in K-mount, but it's not necessary.

Thibs (another guy you don't care about) has tried the new Pentax 150-450 on a K-3 and found it faster than the Sigma on a D810.

PS You're going to be so upset if Sony exit the camera business as they're doing TVs, phones and computers.

Imaging division finances are only stable, so since sensors are making a profit, cameras must be at a loss.

Shareholders are pragmatic.

Last edited by clackers; 03-21-2015 at 03:05 PM.
03-21-2015, 07:02 PM   #20
osv
Veteran Member

Are you trying to defend the weakest spec FF AF module on the market?
didn't you just claim that "There's no way the penguins on either side are being tracked."

when you didn't have a clue where the shot was focused or how it was cropped?
03-21-2015, 07:08 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

didn't you just claim that "There's no way the penguins on either side are being tracked."

when you didn't have a clue where the shot was focused or how it was cropped?

If I'm wrong, educate us ... *you* tell us what the setup was.

Buy a real camera like a D4 or 1D X if you want to do wildlife tracking properly.
03-21-2015, 07:31 PM   #22
osv
Veteran Member

If I'm wrong, educate us ... *you* tell us what the setup was.
didn't you just tell us that "There's no way the penguins on either side are being tracked."

still waiting for you to prove your claim

03-21-2015, 08:05 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

didn't you just tell us that "There's no way the penguins on either side are being tracked."

still waiting for you to prove your claim

Didn't think you had a clue.

Oh, and do you see four penguins or eight, Osv?

With you, we know how it works ...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/270063-what-should-...ml#post3198125

03-21-2015, 08:07 PM   #24
osv
Veteran Member

Didn't think you had a clue.
still waiting...
03-22-2015, 02:08 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

still waiting...

Oh, you want to hear my reasoning?

Anything on the edge of the frame is in danger of not being tracked, so it makes sense to focus on the centre.

But, you say, it could be cropped.

Well, you brought the topic up, you might not like the way it ends.

I found a German blogger who was given one of those adapters by Sony to test, and here is his diagram of the module in overlay, from Sony LA-EA4 Adapter Review - PhillipReeve.net

If cropped, and one of the penguins at either end is the focal point, that full frame adapter you bought is so lousy that 90% of the pixels would have had to be thrown away.

But, you know, reflecting on that adapter, it's so bad - an APS-C module possibly dating from 2010's A55 - you could be right, Osv!!!!
03-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #26
osv
Veteran Member

Oh, you want to hear my reasoning?
reasoning? you've never owned or used an laea4, and you don't have a tamron 150-600mm lens, because it doesn't come in k-mount.

Michael Reichmann is the founder of the Luminous Landscape, and this is his personal experience:

Virtually every frame out of hundreds shot, showed excellent lock-on and tracking. I frankly don’t think that I have ever used a long zoom lens / camera combo that could have done better.
https://luminous-landscape.com/sony-a7ii-tamron-150-600mm-antarctica/

---------- Post added 03-22-2015 at 11:23 AM ----------

his comment was "I haven’t used many DSLR cameras but AF felt more responsive than I am used to from the Canon 5dII with 2.8/24-70L I and 4/70-200L USM...I would recommend this adapter to anyone who owns A-mount lenses, an E-mount camera and needs AF."

03-22-2015, 09:17 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

you've never owned or used an laea4

I own an A7 but will never spend good money on that piece of crap.

Michael Reichmann is the founder of the Luminous Landscape, and this is his personal experience

Yes, you posted that already, and I'll say it again: that picture is taken at f11 and you're a fool if you don't think Boriscleto or Normhead couldn't have bettered that. All Nikon/Canon/Pentax lenses do f11.

Weird post processing too - virtually black and white except for red marks on their faces. It's been downsized for the web and really doesn't survive pixel peeping. Whatever did you see in it?

As for Phillip Reeve, he's a uni student. I wouldn't hang on his every word like you have, I'd just use his diagram of the lousy AF sensor setup, which is quite useful, don't you agree? By the way, do you see three cross points on the LA-EA4 like everyone else, or six in your usual exaggerated way?

But if you want someone on safari, why not Wim Arys in Africa on the Steve Huff site?
The SAL70300G with LAEA4 adapter luckily has contrast AF and phase AF on the A7 and our driver John quickly became used the sound of cameras snapping away. The AF is very fast, the only quibble I have is that all the focus points are in the centre of the frame. So if I wanted to focus off-centre, I had to set focus and reframe, which was almost impossible in these conditions. Another problem is the lack of image stabilisation on all A-mount lenses (because the Alpha range of cameras have in camera IS). All my pictures came out a bit bland too (perhaps due to all the dust in the air), but I always shoot in RAW, so with the nice A7 full frame sensor, it was no problem boosting the colours/shadows in post. I normally use Capture One for this, but it seems not to be a good match with the A7. Lightroom did the trick.

The SAL70300G, although a descent lens in good to average lighting, does have its limitations, especially at 300mm. I like the ergonomics and styling of the Sony A7, the ‘loud’ shutter sound does not bother me at all. I think the idea of a stealth camera has become obsolete nowadays, you are fooling yourself if you think people don’t know what you are doing. The autofocus could be faster, compared to the E-P5 but I would not consider it slow. Perhaps just a bit faster than the Fuji X100s. This camera is not a DSLR killer either, I’m guessing in will take a few more versions until Sony (or another brand) gets there.
Or an amateur like Reeve, Yannick Ciancanelli, who bemoaned on his website:
The super duper AF of the A6000 is being completely ignored when using the LA-EA4… (I could have found it out on the internet, yes…but I just didn’t think of researching that specific particularity about the AF). You get an “ok fast” in-adapter focusing system with just a few AF points, which are pretty much only in the middle. Focus tracking works, though.
Also, you lose about 1/2 stop of light using the adapter.

So, to get back to my son running towards me: The focus tracked my son, yes. But not very well…just for a couple of frames, and at a far-off distance. The closer he came, the worse it got. You won’t get a bird flying towards you, in most cases…so that should be fine. And, you will not get a bird flying towards you up to a 3m distance. either..so that should be fine, too.

Last edited by clackers; 03-23-2015 at 02:28 AM.
03-23-2015, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #28
osv
Veteran Member

I own an A7 but will never spend good money on that piece of crap.
i suspect that people will make up their own minds about your complete lack of experience with the laea4, vs. an experienced shooter like Michael Reichmann

As for Phillip Reeve, he's a uni student. I wouldn't hang on his every word like you have
YOU posted the link to the phillip reeve review, not me.

now you are suddenly whining about the validity of your own reference? LMAO

his portfolio speaks for itself, and so does yours.
03-24-2015, 10:22 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

i suspect that people will make up their own minds about your complete lack of experience with the laea4, vs. an experienced shooter like Michael Reichmann .

I think people understand that photographers including wildlife ones (let alone Reichmann) disagree with each other on philosophy and gear.

If you idolize them, Osv, you're going to be disappointed about that.

*Wim Arys* is not in love as you are with that piece of rubbish.

If you think Reichmann's photograph (at f11, effectively a landscape photograph with a high shutter speed - as you foolishly pointed out, who knows where the focus was? Could even have been hyperfocal!) means the LA-EA4 is something National Geographic can't do without, you're from another planet.

The experiences of the togs I quoted included that one couldn't track his son running towards him!

When subjective experiences contradict, always go to the facts:

Your good buddy Reeve shows that objectively, that thing only has fifteen points, only three of them cross-type, in the central ten percent of the frame.

Be honest, for once, Osv, is there a worse AF system in the full-frame world?

his portfolio speaks for itself, and so does yours.

What portfolio do I, a mere snapshooter like most of us on this forum, have?

No way is he gospel ... and as for you, you suffer from trying to defend your purchase.

You're not objective, have an axe to grind, and can't even count to three!

People who would listen to you and buy that thing, an A7R and some old rehashed Minolta zoom instead of a real Canikon setup for wildlife would probably qualify for 24-hour care.

PS Thibs has said the new Pentax lens focuses faster than that 150-600 on a D800.

Last edited by clackers; 03-24-2015 at 10:42 PM.
03-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #30
osv
Veteran Member

I think people understand that photographers including wildlife ones (let alone Reichmann) disagree with each other on philosophy and gear.
a couple of more opinions from people *who have actually used the laea4*

"I tested the 24/2 and the AF is blazing fast with minimal vignetting or smearing in the corners.[laea4]... The 24/2 works perfectly with both my A mount and a7r cameras."
Any experience with A-mount 20/2.8, Sony Zeiss 24/2 via LA-EA4 onto a7R, a7II?: Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

What portfolio do I, a mere snapshooter, have?
exactly my point.