Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2015, 07:25 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using Sony a7s for Flash-Free Wedding

A few caveats
-Amateur
-Shooting a friends wedding with instruction to take a few shots to show others online until the real photographers come up with their professional photos.
-Stayed away from the photographers way and shot using the 24-70 from a distance.
-Only shot jpeg
-Indian wedding [Hindu wedding followed by Catholic]
Impression:
-Low light shooting is really good
-Noise without bothering to do noise reduction other than what camera jpeg automatically did is pretty nice for the purpose
-AF can hunt and can be a let down at times.
-When the price comes down though may buy it. It's small and handy.
A few shots.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7S  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7S  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7S  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7S  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7S  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7S  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7S  Photo 
03-27-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looking good.
03-27-2015, 08:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice colourful shots. Your friend should be very happy with the results.

In terms of the high-ISO performance of the camera, to be honest any regular modern FF in the A7 series and 6D/D600 class and above could probably do just as well as the A7S here.

I also note that the photographer behind the couple in the last shot was using what looks like a crop Canon, with no on-camera flash or even a radio trigger. The light at the venue must have been pretty good.
03-27-2015, 10:09 PM   #4
osv
Veteran Member

well done

that iso10000 shot seems clean

03-28-2015, 09:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I also note that the photographer behind the couple in the last shot was using what looks like a crop Canon, with no on-camera flash or even a radio trigger. The light at the venue must have been pretty good.
This was a THREE day wedding at 4 venues and at different times of the day or night. But I did not post pictures from all venues/times. There were 4 photographers [2 taking video with Sony cameras and 2 taking stills with either C or N] and they definitely had the works with strobes, flashes, radio triggers etc. Not sure if the photographer in the background was one of those but there were plenty of guests with cameras but mostly cameraphones having a go at it too.

The lighting was all over the place. I used Auto-ISO and Manual mode the whole time, and left the Aperture mostly at f4 and the shutter speed I varied depending on the amount of movement. I chose Auto ISO to deliberately test the ISO of the camera.

The last shot was when one of the ceremonies was over and they were walking out, I left the aperture at f4 and shutter speed at 1/125 and the camera chose ISO 1250. So relatively speaking that area of the venue had better lighting.

There were shots where the camera chose ISO super high ISO levels like over 100000 but those were not clean enough and I was not planning to work on shooting raw and pp so I ditched those.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
In terms of the high-ISO performance of the camera, to be honest any regular modern FF in the A7 series and 6D/D600 class and above could probably do just as well as the A7S here.
Is that right? This was my first time ever shooting with a FF [Rented]. Guess I should compare with one of the other A7 ones then as I would not want to carry a fat camera.
03-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
This was a THREE day wedding at 4 venues and at different times of the day or night.
Wow. You did well to survive that.
I was not planning to work on shooting raw and pp
RAW gives you the advantage of easily correcting WB if need be. For important events, I'd at least shoot RAW+ - that way you can quickly use the JPG's if all is OK, but if there are problems with WB or noise, you can save the shot by working on the RAW's.
Is that right?
Roughly. Obviously (aside from the 645Z ) the A7S is the current low-light king of cameras, but IMHO most modern FFs will do a nice job up to ISO 12800, perhaps even further if the light is OK-ish (and you have a good RAW processor).
03-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Incredible results...!

04-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Wooow good job.. impressive shots..