Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2015, 09:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Canon 5DS R vs 645z

When the first 5DS R samples came out, I couldn't help but actually feel bad that Canon might have actually done themselves more harm than good by releasing a 50MP camera based on none other than to look good on product tags.

However, when the first of the RAW developers came out with support for the SR, I couldn't resist putting a few files through its paces. And low and behold, it became quite obvious that the OOC JPG's bore little of the qualities of the RAW files. Of which I suppose is a good thing because those JPG's were anything but good.

Having said all that, I won't ruin the party by posting my conclusion before the samples, and so without further ado, here's the dope:

PS. I took the liberty of mix/matching the samples, AND hold an ace up my sleeve on this one. - enjoy!

03-29-2015, 06:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Someone will tell you : where can you justify to pay almost double the price for the Pentax ?
03-29-2015, 07:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
When the first 5DS R samples came out, I couldn't help but actually feel bad that Canon might have actually done themselves more harm than good by releasing a 50MP camera based on none other than to look good on product tags.

However, when the first of the RAW developers came out with support for the SR, I couldn't resist putting a few files through its paces. And low and behold, it became quite obvious that the OOC JPG's bore little of the qualities of the RAW files. Of which I suppose is a good thing because those JPG's were anything but good.

Having said all that, I won't ruin the party by posting my conclusion before the samples, and so without further ado, here's the dope:

PS. I took the liberty of mix/matching the samples, AND hold an ace up my sleeve on this one. - enjoy!
I'll play, please print each sample i n a 4'×6' (feet) and ship it to my address 5090 Mansfield Ave, Royal oak MI, You do that and I'll guarantee I'll pick the right camera with zero error
03-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
I'll play, please print each sample i n a 4'×6' (feet) and ship it to my address 5090 Mansfield Ave, Royal oak MI, You do that and I'll guarantee I'll pick the right camera with zero error
Interesting.
What resolution?

04-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Thank you for this work JB it would be interesting to see the results
04-04-2015, 02:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
Thank you for this work JB it would be interesting to see the results
I wouldn't bother as the test was completely skewed. I processed the 5DS R from RAW against the 645z JPG's.

Conclusion: The Canon 5DS R RAW files, can look every bit as good as the 645z OOC JPG's. But once you enter the 645z RAW files, it takes on a life of it's own. ie, the 645z RAW files have an immense capacity for PP and enlargement before they begin to show any signs of strainningf. Whereas the 5DS R files run at the very limit of the sensors abilities. That is to say; noise, pixel/edge quality, and PP latitude.

Hope this helps.

PS. for the record, the better images in these samples are the Canon ones.
04-25-2015, 01:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

PS. for the record, the better images in these samples are the Canon ones.
I guessed based on the yellow. Pentax yellow runs more towards green and Canon toward red.