Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2015, 07:24 PM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Having to buy new lenses (not so valid of video because of the you're going to shoot MF anyway thing), even if they are available, is quite a problem.
Of course, if you are happy with manual focus for video, and already have some Pentax glass, Samsung do offer a NX to K-mount adapter. I've seen the genuine one on eBay for about $50, others for $10. ...

07-08-2015, 10:19 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Thankfully I have a K-5, so I am mostly happy
So, who are you and what have you done with the real kadajawi?
07-09-2015, 02:19 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
So, who are you and what have you done with the real kadajawi?
Why? I love my K-5. Better AF is the only thing I could (reasonably) ask for. I'll take it for video over any Pentax released since, and over many of it's peers. For me, only the NX1, some OM-D, and perhaps the A7s come above the K-5 for video. Being able to record without compression artifacts is nice. Being very well stabilized is even nicer. And it gets a rather pleasant look.

I would love for Pentax to take a long, hard look at the K-5 and do right what that camera did right, then expand on it. To me with the K-3 for example they did a step or two back in terms of video, and that's what I complain about.

Thing is, I also shoot stills, and then I would like to have AF. That means spending more...
07-09-2015, 07:01 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Why?
Just surprised you used the adjective happy based on your posting content. I would have guessed your response a poll question of "How satisfied are you with your Pentax camera, on a scale of 0 - 10 (10 being very satisfied, 0 being extremely dissatisfied)," your response would be a large negative number.

But I'm glad you like your Pentax.

07-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Ah, no. I am happy with mine, more so than I'd probably be with any other Pentax. It is the Pentax that has the best combination of everything to me. Newer ones are better in some areas, but worse in others, to a degree that they are not for me. So those would indeed get a negative rating. My constant complaining is because I feel Pentax is heading into the wrong direction (for me), and unnecessarily so. They made steps backwards without the need to. What I want wouldn't make it a lesser camera for others.
07-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #81
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Depends. For video work... MF is quite common anyway, so that's not such a big drawback. For stills, totally. You'd want to have AF on this thing.
you'd want af if it was an ovf camera, which it isn't, this is an evf camera.

manual focus on evf cameras is a dream.

you have a k5, so of course you wouldn't understand.
07-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #82
Veteran Member

As I said before, there are hardly any professional mirrorless cameras on the market (apart from Leica, which I suspect are being used by some pros), and those that are have only appeared within the last year or so, with very limited lens line-ups. So it is hardly surprising that pros that have invested in the whole system for many years haven't made the switch. Even if they would rather have a mirrorless camera. On the video side that is more common since people use manual focus anyway, and the mirrorless cameras let them adapt any of their lenses.
You havent watched jason laniers videos have you? He does incredible things with the a6000. Sony has 16 e mount lenses i believe and there is the metabones smart adapter which lets you use any lens with af. I think the lens selection is actually one of the best parts about mirrorless.

07-09-2015, 12:39 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
you'd want af if it was an ovf camera, which it isn't, this is an evf camera.

manual focus on evf cameras is a dream.

you have a k5, so of course you wouldn't understand.
AF is still going to be faster, isn't it? How do you know what I take photos of? There are situations where I want fast AF, and MF, no matter how good, will be a disadvantage.

Oh and yes, the Sony system is better built out, but I'm more interested in the Samsung NX1.
07-09-2015, 01:15 PM   #84
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
AF is still going to be faster, isn't it? How do you know what I take photos of? There are situations where I want fast AF, and MF, no matter how good, will be a disadvantage.
have you had the opportunity to use mf with a good evf camera? shooting stills?

mf has advantages over af, including better accuracy in zone focusing situations and when shooting landscapes... nobody in their right mind uses af for macro.

if you must have af, the nx1 has a touchscreen lcd? some people really like that; sony doesn't have it, pentax doesn't either?

Oh and yes, the Sony system is better built out, but I'm more interested in the Samsung NX1.
4k on the nx1 is a huge draw for this camera, i certainly agree with everything that you've said about that
07-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #85
Veteran Member

I don't care much about landscapes, I'm really bad at them anyway. I do like to take portraits etc., preferably without the subject noticing, to get a more natural face. Lift camera to eye, focus very quickly, and photo.

I did use the a57 as well as several Fujis, including the X-Pro1. I still want good AF. Good MF is nice too, but it won't replace it.
07-09-2015, 09:44 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
4k on the nx1 is a huge draw for this camera,
An even bigger draw for the NX-500 , especially at less than 1/2 the price of a NX-1.
11-05-2015, 12:08 PM   #87
Veteran Member

The power on the nx1 is pretty insane. Ive been taking with some people who have connections at Samsung and they apparently got 240 fps at 6k to work for short bursts. With that kind of power you could hit over 1000 fps in 1080

Last edited by neostyles; 11-05-2015 at 06:08 PM.