Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2015, 07:51 AM   #1

fuji x30 any thought?

Hello!

So i m considering the fuji to use for everyday walk around and when i just wont carry my k30 without beeing sure i ll have the use for it, and eventually to take along the k30 (with 30mm i use the most and an occasional 50-300) and get ride of the 18-55 and FA 50mm (i found out that i barely go under 30ish mm anyway).

The k30 sidekick would need to have a viewfinder.. I realise it could (and should) be smaller but i believe its ok for my need and i kinda like the fact that it also feel solid.

What i m concerned about is the IQ of the x30 especially in low light.. I v seen about every review around and well , conclusions seems to go both ways! I m actually ok not beeing able to go over 1600iso since i m allready "stuck" with it on k30 and i m ok with it.
Considere that i m only posting on flick and such for familly and friends, few personnal printing so i know i don't need the professionnal stuff.. but still concerned to get something decent!

My other concern would be the noise it makes from turn on to shoot, since my cons on the k30 would be that its well, "dslr heavy" and the shutter is loud and disturbing for the surrounding and myself.

Any real life x30 pentaxians user could share their opinion?
Also i believe i v been thru about every possibilities available, but what else would you think i should get on the 300-400e/doll range in the used/sales area?

Last edited by zitounae; 06-15-2015 at 07:20 AM.
06-14-2015, 08:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For the about same price you can get an Olympus OM-D E-M10 with a kit lens. The M10 has a much larger sensor that what you find in the X30 with performance that comes very close to your K30. Even if you never buy another lens or swap the kit lens for a pancake you'll be ahead.

I was looking for a camera to sit between my Q7 and K-3 and the M10 fit the bill perfectly. Small, light, get IQ, EVF.
06-14-2015, 10:13 AM   #3

Original Poster
Well i have seen your post about the oly and both 10 and 5 are certainly impressive monsters! and i certainly could (and may) buy it in a heart beat, on a pretty good deal. Same goes with a used next 6.

Fact is also that i could be more tempted to go cheaper and smaller with the x20 than the omd.... if it wasn't for the battery/100% cover and handy screen for street shot i might be aiming for the x20.

Also, as dumb as it may sound, i d be afraid to get too close to my k30 and let it starve in a closet ... and it is allready hard enough to fight the lba on pentax
06-14-2015, 11:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I used to shoot with a K30 before upgrading to a K3 in Jan 2015. The sensor in the M10 is very, very good but it still falls short of the K30. You may only notice the shortcoming in extreme situations, though. I live in a high altitude desert area where the sun is very, very bright. Capturing the "normal" daylight exposure along with the very bright highlights and the dark shadows in the shade is harder for the M10 than it was for the K30. In "easy" good light the two will rival each other. Even my K-3 can feel the squeeze. High ISO performance and low light performance is a different matter. The K-3 has a definite edge over the M10.

The other point to consider is lenses. Consider that the K-mount ecosystem has a lot of wonderful DA and FA Limited lenses, each with their own unique pixie dust formulations. I'm discovering that the u4/3 ecosystem may be more clinical in its lens selection. That's not necessarily bad but just something to consider. For me that means that even if the M10 and K-3 had equal sensor performance for their formats I still would not let my K-3 collect dust.

Also consider the enjoyment factor of the Fuji vs. Olympus vs. whatever. There is always an element of emotion in using a camera. If the Fuji X30 does it for you and the M10 is like swallowing a box of nails then you know which system is right for you.

06-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
If the Fuji X30 does it for you and the M10 is like swallowing a box of nails then you know which system is right for you.
That one i d swallow anyday
06-14-2015, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look over in the Toy Camera thread here and you will see many X30 Shots from Mr Bassie and a few other X30 owners that can make the X30 really shine. If you want small size, decent range and some of the best features out there the X30 is worth a close look.

I have the X10 and X20 and love both of them. Actually, the X10 is my favorite...the EXR sensor is amazing, you might consider a used one..... if you can find one.

Regards!
06-15-2015, 06:48 AM   #7

Original Poster
I v been thru some of the post on your thread allready^^ And they, as yourself, make pretty good pics with those little x series! Some really awesome shots with great colors and good details.

Though i v been deeper in the x30 samples on flick and while i found some really decent 1600 and even 3200 iso pictures: loads of 1600 if not 800iso seems more noisy that i would expect. Dunno if those are use on purpose (i do love some noise at some point) or a really disapointing limit of the sensor. It's hard to compare with other devices like omd or a6000 when it comes to mix sensor size, lens, f stop and hardware process.
Comparing x30 on image ressource at 1600 iso there's not "that much" difference in details/colors with the rx100 mk3 or lx100 but well i don't know :s

About the x10 i m still having an eye on deals, tho i would also have good use the evf/ screen/ battery life of the x30.....

Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for the kind advices here anyway

06-15-2015, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by zitounae Quote
Thanks for the kind advices here anyway
A couple of things I didn't mention......the X models (10-20-30) have the Pro Low light setting which is absolutely amazing. You can shoot night/low light shots in poor light handheld. It takes 4 very fast shots, combines them to get rid of noise and shake and gives you a finished Jpeg in about 2 seconds.....in camera. This feature alone makes these wonderful cameras.

Pro Low Light

More of my X10 shots here.....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35763648@N05/sets/72157627982091489

The X20/X30 are more advanced in the AF engines...they will focus and get you a flash shot in Total Darkness....last night as I shot this I couldn't even see my hands, but could hear the raccoon and pointed...the focus light focused instantly and I got the shot.

Will they do action shooting? The X20/X30 certainly will!

For daylight shooting the flash will synch up to 1/4000 for fill flash. These are wonderful little cameras, and you have to own one to know just how fantastic they are. No matter what you purchase, nothing you buy will have a better build quality that these little solid metal X cameras...no plastic feel...just rock solid metal and quality workmanship. These may be Toy Cameras but they are very real!

Best Regards!
06-15-2015, 11:27 PM   #9
Yos
Veteran Member

I got myself a Fuji X-Pro1 with the 18mm lens. Now I also got the Fujinon 35mm lens.
Was considering a Ricoh GR or a Fuji X20/30 but was able to find a very good deal on a new X-Pro1 body and 18mm lens.
Very happy as it's such a good and much smaller camera than my K-30 and K-3.
Brought my K-3 and my Fuji on a recent trip to Japan and to be honest I used the Fuji 75% of all my shoots.
You might want to have a look at the upcoming X-T10 as well. A lot of feat at a good price.
Just my 2 cents.
06-16-2015, 12:21 AM   #10

Original Poster
Hello!

Yes the x t10 will be hell of a good deal, tho too close to a reflex pricetage to me still... and not enough "low profile" when attached with a zoom ;(

The pro low light features is certainly a nice feature! As seems to be the "pro focus". Actually it might have been used in the few pictures thats have impressed me at 1600+ iso. Tho as good as it sounds for still images, the result might be a bit ackward with moving people and objects? But it's def a features to notice and use, as is the snappy low light autofocus.

Having soft and details low light pictures is great, having the subject you want in focus fast is sweet too!

And the build quality, since we are not in the rx100 weight area, it is a really good point. I would love to have that a good feeling about my all around camera, even if its not top notch IQ... too bad its not WR tho, could use that living near the sea
06-18-2015, 04:43 AM   #11

Original Poster
Okay now the gm5 got a 100e refund that make it down to 469e atm!
lens is slower and less range.. no tilt screen and VF seems less comfortable... but... it's 4/3, bit more mpx and much lighter and compact! SR is on lens but i would probably stay with the kit lens anyway..