Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2015, 06:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sony closes operations in SA

Probably of little interest on this forum

Sony has just announced that it's closing its Camera, HiFI, TV and Laptop stores and operations in South Africa and will be closely monitoring the Mobile divisions.

I was just about to purchase one of the new A7ii.

Of course I could purchase from B&H but would have zero guarantee or warranty in SA

06-17-2015, 09:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Will anyone be representing them in South Africa? There must be enough business for someone to step in and sell and support Sony there.
06-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe it's a sign you should wait for the Pentax Full Frame
06-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Probably of little interest on this forum

Sony has just announced that it's closing its Camera, HiFI, TV and Laptop stores and operations in South Africa and will be closely monitoring the Mobile divisions.
link?

06-17-2015, 12:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Probably of little interest on this forum Sony has just announced that it's closing its Camera, HiFI, TV and Laptop stores and operations in South Africa and will be closely monitoring the Mobile divisions. I was just about to purchase one of the new A7ii. Of course I could purchase from B&H but would have zero guarantee or warranty in SA
Is something bad about to happen over there ? Maybe an early sign of something stirring up... maybe nothing... but it certainly would get me thinking if I was living there...
06-17-2015, 07:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds odd. Why would Sony do that? I thought South Africa was a good place to do business.
06-17-2015, 08:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sony has closed most of their physical stores in the USA and Canada.
Sony to close majority of US retail stores by year's end | The Verge

Why does that matter? Does Ricoh have a chain of stores I don't know about? Most manufactures go through distributors and don't have their own stores. Surely there is still a Sony distributor in South Africa. Sony will still have a presence in SA. They will still have a warranty.

06-17-2015, 08:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
link?

Sony to close South African TV, HiFi and camera division - htxt.africa
06-18-2015, 03:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Due to the level of fraud and poor service delivery in SA, one has to be very careful in which electronic product one buys into.

Olympus OMD is a very good, so is the Pansonic but you won't find them in the hands of photographers here due to poor backup service due to "select agent" issues. Shops or reputable SA online stores don't stock.

Samsung very big, Apple good presence, Canon & Nikon are very well represented. Canon probably more so than Nikon.

So yes I probably could purchase a Sony through a "selected Sony agent" but at great risk to myself.

Orms, one of our best online photographic stores are getting rid of their Sony stock.
06-21-2015, 06:57 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony has been going through some hard times. While they are making plenty of money with their Playstation game boxes and are having huge success with their camera sensors, as a whole, the company has been having difficulty and they are closing a lot of non profitable operations. They will probably distribute their products through an authorized third party distributor rather than have a corporate presence. If you read the article in Clickers link, they are not withdrawing their products from South Africa, just setting up a new distribution model.