Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I shoot Pentax with a K-30 and K5II and I shoot Olympus with a couple of E-P3's. I find that my Oly's keep up rather well except for high levels of noise at iso's above 800, though that is getting a lot better. My old E-PL1 was pretty slow and bad for noise. It was fun to use but could be tedious to use too in terms of how slow it was and how much noise there was. My E-P3's they are a whole other thing. They're much faster, have touch focus that is amazingly accurate, and the noise isn't nearly as much of a problem. I understand that it only gets better from there. I would never give up my DSLR's completely for a M43 kit, need them for work, but I'm hauling the DSLR's less and less for play.

07-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I made the switch and I am very happy. Primes are excellent and not too expensive, image quality shows no drawback up to A3, which is my max print size. I gain a lot of improvements regarding size & weight and the EVF. In the end, it depends on your preferences - I used to have an extensive Pentax Kit (all Ltds except 31) and a fullframe setup (5D), but I am most happy with the M43 equipment due to its size-weight-quality ratio... I just take pictures far more often now.

Feel free to check my FlickR and see if you can identify the Pentax without looking at the EXIFs ,)
07-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Oh Oh, You guys got me all stirred up on the M43.
I am way behind the times with an E_Pl1 which so far had to make do with Pentax110 lenses.

I had a look around and found a superseded Oly zoom and then a click on VF-3, so a spending spree (actually very little outlay!)

I want to loan this to my friend ( see my comments on the Off Brand Lumix thread) to see if it is favorable.
If so I will recommend to her a late model M43 body with integral EVF and a decent zoom with manual focus.
07-06-2015, 02:24 PM   #19
Forum Member

I moved from Pentax (K-r) to micro 4/3 (OM-D E-M5). I found the move to be relatively seamless and the customizability of the EM-5 lets you make the control layout very similar to Pentax's. I shoot mostly primes though and the major gap in my Pentax lineup was wide angle. I find the m43 primes to be cheaper and just as available on the used market (at least in Canada).

I really like the EVF on the E-M5 and find myself getting the exposure right in camera much more often than with the K-r. I also haven't had any major issues with the AF system, but I shoot AF-S 95% of the time. The weight saving was pretty significant since I went from zooms+primes to mostly primes.

I found the colour rendering with the Pentax lenses to be much nicer, especially the greens and blues. The E-M5 tends to shoot warm, but it's easily fixable in post. My most-used lens on the K-r was the DA 35mm f/2.4 and found it quick to focus, but super loud. My most used lens on the E-M5 is the Olympus 25mm f/1.8 and I find it really quiet. In fact the whole system is so much quieter than Pentax.

The raw files are pretty good, especially if using ETTR. A little less detail in the shadows, but a lot more in the highlights. As far as noise goes I found that I can get away with at least 1 extra stop on the OMD.

This was just my experience - I didn't own any other Pentax DSLRs to compare against so YMMV.

07-08-2015, 05:48 AM   #20
Forum Member

i moved from a k30 with 18-135mm, all da ltd and fa ltd to a m43 omd em1 with 12-40mm pro and 40-150mm pro. for my use the m43 system was better as when i go hiking i just take the em1 + 40-150 and my ricoh gr.

it was better in the sense, that the 40-150mm lens is so versatile, does quasi-macro, is weather-sealed, caf with em1 is decent for wildlife.

I do however miss my fa ltd colours. i am yet to try the olympus 75mm f1.8 and 45mm f1.8 so maybe ther eis an equivalent... :\
07-25-2015, 11:13 PM   #21
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Oh Oh, You guys got me all stirred up on the M43.
I am way behind the times with an E_Pl1 which so far had to make do with Pentax110 lenses.
The E-PL1 is way behind any of the Pens or OM-Ds from the last few years.

One of the nice things about M4/3 is you can adapt almost any lens to fit. I had some old Kodak Retina Reflex (DKL mount) lenses I used because they were smaller lenses. Since my eyesight isn't what it was I'm mostly autofocus these days.

I actually started my switch to M4/3 when I bought a used 4/3 E-620 and replaced my K20D. Then an E-PL2, E-PM2 (too small), E-PL5, and now the E-M10. I love the EVF and the image quality is good enough for my purposes and prints well up to at least 13 x 17.

I did recently pick up a K-50 on sale to use with m K-mount macro lenses and the WR kit zooms. I have slowly been selling off or donating most of my Pentax gear.
07-26-2015, 07:04 AM   #22

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
So I just took my GR back to the shop yesterday to see if I could get it fixed (again) after letting it sit for a few months (aperture dial was stuck) and lo and behold it now seems to be working fine again. I like Hakea's idea of using the Oly 40-150 and the GR when shooting outdoors! The M43 system is getting a lot more use now due to the size/weight savings (I also really like the JPG engine combined with WiFi) so I think it might be time to sell off the bulk of my Pentax gear. Maybe I can keep the FA's for a while as I can't seem to match the look on M43 yet but everything else seems about on par so far Excited to get the MC-14 (1.4x TC) for the 40-150 at some point and see what that brings! I've actually been spending less time on post due to the EVF and getting it right straight out of the camera more...

PS - Hakea the Pana-Leica 25 is pretty darned good - great rendering although not quite matching FA bokeh and colors