Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8388 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2023, 04:12 PM   #4801
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
There's a Pittsburgh Missouri?
no, there is a Pittsburg, Kansas, however.....

02-06-2023, 04:59 AM - 2 Likes   #4802
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

X-T4 with SMC 50mm f1.4

02-07-2023, 05:02 AM - 2 Likes   #4803
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

X-T2 with TTArtisan 23mm f1.4

02-07-2023, 06:25 AM - 3 Likes   #4804
Pentaxian

Yes, I did have to cycle up some hills to get there... Worthwhile though.

X-E2 & Zonlai 22mm f/1.8.

02-08-2023, 05:11 AM - 4 Likes   #4805
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

X-T4 with SMC 50mm f1.4

02-08-2023, 08:11 PM   #4806
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hello all,

Hoping this is the proper place for this question - if not just let me know and I will repost where appropriate.

I recently got an X-E4 with the XF 27mm/2.8 pancake lens, to use as a compact travel and hiking camera. I'd like to be able to use a slightly wider lens on this camera, like a 16 or 20mm. I was looking at one of those adapters that have aperture control which would allow me to use my Pentax DA lenses, in particular my DA 21 Limited. There's a model made by K&F Concept (about $35), and another by Vello ($70), both of which have aperture control. Does anyone here have experience with these? Do they work well?

How does the aperture control work? Do they have a built-in iris, or do they control the lens' aperture?

If they're not worth the bother I will just bite the bullet and get a Fuji 16 or 18mm lens.

BTW, I already have a PK to FX adapter that has no aperture control, which I use with my old M and K series lenses. It works great for the legacy lenses, but I have no manual lens wider than 24mm.

Many thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,
Svend
02-09-2023, 05:11 AM   #4807
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
Hello all,

Hoping this is the proper place for this question - if not just let me know and I will repost where appropriate.

I recently got an X-E4 with the XF 27mm/2.8 pancake lens, to use as a compact travel and hiking camera. I'd like to be able to use a slightly wider lens on this camera, like a 16 or 20mm. I was looking at one of those adapters that have aperture control which would allow me to use my Pentax DA lenses, in particular my DA 21 Limited. There's a model made by K&F Concept (about $35), and another by Vello ($70), both of which have aperture control. Does anyone here have experience with these? Do they work well?

How does the aperture control work? Do they have a built-in iris, or do they control the lens' aperture?

If they're not worth the bother I will just bite the bullet and get a Fuji 16 or 18mm lens.

BTW, I already have a PK to FX adapter that has no aperture control, which I use with my old M and K series lenses. It works great for the legacy lenses, but I have no manual lens wider than 24mm.

Regards,
Svend

good morning!

I have one of the K&F adapters with aperture control for Pentax lenses with out an aperture ring - it works, but the aperture control is more of an approximation and is not fine control at all - for this reason, I usually keep those lenses on my K-3....

for a wider lens, I have and enjoy a TTArtisan 23mm f1.4 in native x-mount, but also have a Pentax SMC A 20mm f2.8 that is just a wondrous lens....

02-09-2023, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #4808
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Fuji X-T4 with SMC 50mm f1.4

02-09-2023, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #4809
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
Hello all,

Regards,
Svend
I also have the K&F Concept adapter and I would recommend it. I've used it with my DA Limited lenses, including the 21mm, with no problems. From memory it gives about six different apertures from fully open to f/22, but that's plenty control for anything I ever used it for.
02-09-2023, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #4810
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
good morning!

I have one of the K&F adapters with aperture control for Pentax lenses with out an aperture ring - it works, but the aperture control is more of an approximation and is not fine control at all - for this reason, I usually keep those lenses on my K-3....

for a wider lens, I have and enjoy a TTArtisan 23mm f1.4 in native x-mount, but also have a Pentax SMC A 20mm f2.8 that is just a wondrous lens....
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I also have the K&F Concept adapter and I would recommend it. I've used it with my DA Limited lenses, including the 21mm, with no problems. From memory it gives about six different apertures from fully open to f/22, but that's plenty control for anything I ever used it for.

Thanks very much! Most helpful. I mostly shoot at f8 and leave it there, so I'm sure I can work out where that value sits on the adapter control ring. At $35 it's worth a try. And I'm happy I can use the DA21 with it - wonderful lens. I also have the DA40 Limited, which will make for a nice trio along with the the Fuji 27.

Pepperberry - I hear you about the SMC A 20mm. However, it costs about as much here in Canada as a good used Fuji XF wide angle prime, so not really an attractive option cost wise. Plus I've got that focal length covered with multiple DA lenses for my K3.

I'll order that adapter tonight.

All the best,
Svend
02-09-2023, 02:50 PM - 3 Likes   #4811
Pentaxian

02-09-2023, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #4812
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Fuji X-H1 with Tokina AT-X SD 100-300mm F4 and the Tamron F 1.4X Pz-Af MC4 teleconverter. I haven't noticed any degradation at all while using my new Tamron teleconverter purchased from a fellow forum member. So this enabled me to go from 300mm to 420mm. Shot at F7 on a cloudy snowy day.

So in essence I've saved myself about $1,100 by not going with Fuji's 70-300mm and their 1.4 teleconverter. I do miss the autofocus but I think the trade off is worth it.

02-10-2023, 04:57 AM - 2 Likes   #4813
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

X-T4 with SMC 50mm f1.4

02-10-2023, 02:01 PM - 2 Likes   #4814
Pentaxian

02-11-2023, 08:55 AM - 2 Likes   #4815
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

X-T4 with SMC 50mm f1.4