Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8397 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2022, 02:50 PM - 2 Likes   #4156
Pentaxian

06-02-2022, 03:33 PM - 2 Likes   #4157
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Neuse River Sailor Quote
I'll pile in, I like the 28 better too. They both look really good. I'd guess half the people at this forum are using their Fujis to take advantage of vintage Takumar and Pentax lenses. The old FF lenses were optimized for central sharpness and clarity, and all we use is the center! Also, I think that what objectively could be considered defects enhance the image. The 28 picture actually seems to have some black fringing especially where the purple of the flower shows against the light siding which gives it a better 3d effect. They are both really nice lenses, and the prices on old Takumars and Pentaxes are hitting a sweet spot. Get them now, before they turn into collector's items and disappear into locked cabinets.
If only Pentax would make a mirrorless camera with an electronic viewfinder like Fuji I'd probably switch back but they don't. I wonder why they don't? I can't stand the K-01 camera's without a viewfinder because to me they're nothing more than a point and shoot.
06-02-2022, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #4158
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
If only Pentax would make a mirrorless camera with an electronic viewfinder like Fuji I'd probably switch back but they don't. I wonder why they don't? I can't stand the K-01 camera's without a viewfinder because to me they're nothing more than a point and shoot.
some will say it's because the investment in the k-mount and the capital needed to create a new set of lenses for the registration distance of a mirrorless.....

my thought was to introduce a handful of lenses with the new mirrorless camera, but sell the camera with an adapter for existing k-mount lenses....

and if you want to buy the adapter separately, price it reasonably - some of these adapters with electronics in them are priced higher than the lenses they are intended for.....
06-03-2022, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #4159
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

X-T2 + Takumar 35mm f4

06-03-2022, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #4160
Pentaxian

A fair while ago they said that the reason for not making M/L was that there wasn't an EVF that was good enough.

Now, and for quite a few years the EVFs have been vey good.

The facts are, they are painted into the Dslr corner and its gradually shrinking.

They could be last man standing by 25/6 and then they will probably sell more gear because the OVF shooters insist on them.

They dont have the budget to launch a new mount so expect a couple of bodies(Ricoh/Pentax) each year and a couple of K mount lenses.
06-03-2022, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #4161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
A fair while ago they said that the reason for not making M/L was that there wasn't an EVF that was good enough.

Now, and for quite a few years the EVFs have been vey good.

The facts are, they are painted into the Dslr corner and its gradually shrinking.

They could be last man standing by 25/6 and then they will probably sell more gear because the OVF shooters insist on them.

They dont have the budget to launch a new mount so expect a couple of bodies(Ricoh/Pentax) each year and a couple of K mount lenses.
EVFs have certainly improved, however all the major MILC makers still have current models with low-res EVFs (2.4m dots or less) and IME they are lame. Even the 3.69m dot EVF in my Panny G9 is still not as pleasurable to use as the OVF in a Pentax K-70, except in low light.
06-03-2022, 04:22 PM   #4162
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
EVFs have certainly improved, however all the major MILC makers still have current models with low-res EVFs (2.4m dots or less) and IME they are lame. Even the 3.69m dot EVF in my Panny G9 is still not as pleasurable to use as the OVF in a Pentax K-70, except in low light.
Yes, beauty is in behold of the viewer.

Many of my EVFs are the 2.4m variety....perfectly fine for someone with good eyesight.Thats the thing about people critical of the Eves....how good is their sight?

I posted a YT in this thread back in 2018,it was about a canon Professional that tried the 3.69 evf in the XT3.His comment was as good as an OVF.

Beauty is in the EYEs of the viewer.[COLOR="Silver"]

I personally switch between 2.39(Xt30/Xs10) and 3.69(XT3 and XH1) all the time.I really dont ever notice much difference in the actual vision.All are good.

Last edited by surfar; 06-03-2022 at 04:29 PM.
06-03-2022, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #4163
Pentaxian

Yes, beauty is in behold of the viewer.

Many of my EVFs are the 2.4m variety....perfectly fine for someone with good eyesight.Thats the thing about people critical of the Eves....how good is their sight?

I posted a YT in this thread back in 2018,it was about a canon Professional that tried the 3.69 evf in the XT3.His comment was as good as an OVF.

Beauty is in the EYEs of the viewer.[COLOR="Silver"]

I personally switch between 2.39(Xt30/Xs10) and 3.69(XT3 and XH1) all the time.I really dont ever notice much difference in the actual vision.All are good.
The EVF in the Fuji X-H1 is a joy to use. I much prefer it over my Pentax K-3 optical viewfinder.
06-03-2022, 05:11 PM   #4164
Pentaxian

The EVF in the Fuji X-H1 is a joy to use. I much prefer it over my Pentax K-3 optical viewfinder.
Yes, I find it good.The shutter action is very unique too.I'm wondering what the new one is like?[COLOR="Silver"]
06-03-2022, 05:51 PM   #4165
Pentaxian

Yes, I find it good.The shutter action is very unique too.I'm wondering what the new one is like?[COLOR="Silver"]
I would miss the ISO and shutter dials on the top that the new one does not have. I may just stop at the X-H1
06-04-2022, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #4166
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

X-T2 + Takumar 35mm f4

06-04-2022, 11:06 AM   #4167
Forum Member

Question about Fujifilm alongside my Pentax kit, help please!

Good Morning,

I am a Pentax K1 shooter looking to buy a second body for a few reasons. I have found a used Fujifilm XT-4 in my area that is going for $1650 with the 16-80mm kit lens. Looks like new this usually goes for 2300 after tax. I am interested in mirrorless for a few reasons. The K1 is heavy when street shooting. I think it would be nice to throw a small prime on the Fuji and just go shoot. The shutter on the fuji is much quieter and I like to do shoots of newborn photography, this would come in handy for sure as my K1 shutter does wake babies from time to time.

Fuji seems to be supporting its users more than Pentax is capable with more frequent body/lens refreshes. APSC lens usually are less expensive.

Video capabilities would be nice as my video mode on the K1 is virtually unusable by todays standards.

Does anyone here shoot Fuji? Can you offer some insight?

I would like to stay on the Pentax train but I don't see a K1 MK3 anytime soon, and investing even more money into the Pentax system doesn't feel like the best investment with the future of the company in the state that it is. My K1 has seen quite a bit of use since 2016 when I bought it, and I truly love it. I may just have new gear itch.
06-04-2022, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #4168
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bad2thegnome Quote
Good Morning,

I am a Pentax K1 shooter looking to buy a second body for a few reasons. I have found a used Fujifilm XT-4 in my area that is going for $1650 with the 16-80mm kit lens. Looks like new this usually goes for 2300 after tax. I am interested in mirrorless for a few reasons. The K1 is heavy when street shooting. I think it would be nice to throw a small prime on the Fuji and just go shoot. The shutter on the fuji is much quieter and I like to do shoots of newborn photography, this would come in handy for sure as my K1 shutter does wake babies from time to time.

Fuji seems to be supporting its users more than Pentax is capable with more frequent body/lens refreshes. APSC lens usually are less expensive.

Video capabilities would be nice as my video mode on the K1 is virtually unusable by todays standards.

Does anyone here shoot Fuji? Can you offer some insight?

I would like to stay on the Pentax train but I don't see a K1 MK3 anytime soon, and investing even more money into the Pentax system doesn't feel like the best investment with the future of the company in the state that it is. My K1 has seen quite a bit of use since 2016 when I bought it, and I truly love it. I may just have new gear itch.
I switched from my Pentax K-3 to the Fuji system about 5 years ago. (I still have a Pentax K-S2 just for testing purposes). I purchased the Fuji X-T1 for $550 and just a few years ago the Fuji X-H1 for $760. Reason being is that I wanted a mirrorless system that was light weight with a retro look that included the ability to control ISO, Shutter speed, and aperture straight from the dials on top of the camera. Plus when I tested my Pentax K-3 with the FA31mm lens against the Fuji X-T1 with their 27mm pancake lens there was no question the Fuji just mopped the floor with the Pentax. Better rendering, sharpness and color. I couldn't believe it. Pentax's best FA31mm lens beaten by some cheap Fuji pancake lens.

I still however enjoy using Pentax Legacy glass especially in the long end so I purchased a K&F Concept adapter so that I can use my Pentax glass with my Fuji X-H1. It's a win win for me. Someday if Pentax makes a mirrorless camera I might consider switching back but for now I'm staying with Fuji.

Oh and the electronic viewfinder is a joy to use. I absolutely hate going back to the optical viewfinder. And the dust spots

Here's my Pentax legacy glass.....,minus the Pentax A 28mm F2.8 I recently purchased.

Now the Fuji has finally come out with a 150mm-600mm Zoom lens I may indeed lose my long Pentax glass. Currently I have the Pentax A 400mm 5.6 and the Tokina/Pentax 100-300mm F4 as my long lens base.

06-04-2022, 03:30 PM   #4169
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bad2thegnome Quote
used Fujifilm XT-4 in my area that is going for $1650
Nothing wrong with that price right now.Just remember this is the flagship until they get the XH2s on the market in July and there will be LOTS of this body available used with people who want latest and greatest.There maybe cheaper bodies and it could make a used body with a new lens a possibility.

Also, the XT3 which doesn't have IBIS or flippy screen only a tilt and is 3 FPS slower mechanical, can be had new for 1000 or lower.T3 has the older smaller battery too.

A T3 new and a 16-80 new will be similar price to what you are looking at used.

Another option is a new X-S10 and new 16-80.Single slot, no WR and PASM.Lighter and better suited to street imo.It has IBIS only 8fps mechanical but same silent ES as T3/4.Its shaped like a Dslr and handles better than T3/4.Try in in you hands

The 27mm f2.8 is the ideal street lens, used the non WR with no aperture ring is a bargain.

Whatever you decide, its a forward step into the best crop mirrorless system.

However, Canon have just announced some VERY GOOD crop bodies that blow all Fujis except the H2s out of the water in regards to AF.You may want to consider them too.Not many lenses but they will expand and theres 130million that a cheap adapter makes useable.

The basic R10 beats any similar priced Fuji in many areas if you dont want WR or IBIS.The R7 beats every crop camera except the H2s which is 1000 more in price.

The deal you are looking at is fair and will do what you want to do adequately.I'm heavily invested in Fuji but will be buying one of the Canons when the price is right.

Last edited by surfar; 06-04-2022 at 03:40 PM.
06-05-2022, 01:03 AM   #4170
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

when I tested my Pentax K-3 with the FA31mm lens against the Fuji X-T1 with their 27mm pancake lens there was no question the Fuji just mopped the floor with the Pentax. Better rendering, sharpness and color. I couldn't believe it. Pentax's best FA31mm lens beaten by some cheap Fuji pancake lens.
That FujiFilm 27mm pancake is an f/2.8 max aperture lens, isn't it? And colour rendering is really more of an in-camera JPEG or raw conversion profiling matter... That aside, I've heard that Fuji lens is indeed very sharp...
« Nikon zed f | - »