Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8397 Likes Search this Thread
06-05-2022, 04:31 AM   #4171
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That FujiFilm 27mm pancake is an f/2.8 max aperture lens, isn't it? And colour rendering is really more of an in-camera JPEG or raw conversion profiling matter... That aside, I've heard that Fuji lens is indeed very sharp...
Whatever the reason it was quite noticeable and why I switched systems. I had 5 years previous experience with the Pentax system along with many of their finest lenses so it came as a shock to me.

06-05-2022, 05:19 AM - 4 Likes   #4172
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
X-T2 + Takumar 35mm f4

in a farmers' market

06-06-2022, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #4173
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

X-T2 with Takumar 35mm f4

06-06-2022, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #4174
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bad2thegnome Quote
Good Morning,

I am a Pentax K1 shooter looking to buy a second body for a few reasons. I have found a used Fujifilm XT-4 in my area that is going for $1650 with the 16-80mm kit lens. Looks like new this usually goes for 2300 after tax. I am interested in mirrorless for a few reasons. The K1 is heavy when street shooting. I think it would be nice to throw a small prime on the Fuji and just go shoot. The shutter on the fuji is much quieter and I like to do shoots of newborn photography, this would come in handy for sure as my K1 shutter does wake babies from time to time.

Fuji seems to be supporting its users more than Pentax is capable with more frequent body/lens refreshes. APSC lens usually are less expensive.

Video capabilities would be nice as my video mode on the K1 is virtually unusable by todays standards.

Does anyone here shoot Fuji? Can you offer some insight?

I would like to stay on the Pentax train but I don't see a K1 MK3 anytime soon, and investing even more money into the Pentax system doesn't feel like the best investment with the future of the company in the state that it is. My K1 has seen quite a bit of use since 2016 when I bought it, and I truly love it. I may just have new gear itch.
There are lots of users here who use Fujifilm as well as another system. I got into it as a much smaller and lighter alternative to my K-3 DSLR, used exclusively with adapted film-era lenses. When I started buying native Fujifilm lenses I used the X-M1 more and eventually bought an X-T20.

The lens selection is excellent and all the Fuji lenses I've used have been superb. The Viltrox lenses are also superb and offer amazing value for money and there are lots of manual focus lenses from Chinese manufacturers which are cheap and decent quality. I've also found it easier to buy and sell Fujifilm gear than Pentax - the user base is much larger. For APS-C the Fuji lens line-up is unparalleled and I don't expect that to change any time soon as they're the only company really dedicated to APS-C. I fully expect Canon and Nikon to do what they did with DSLRs, which is to treat their APS-C users very much as an afterthought with very few lenses available.

In short, it's a system I would thoroughly recommend for small size, excellent cameras that are a pleasure to use, superb lenses and a great platform to adapt lenses from other mounts.

06-06-2022, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #4175
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I got into it as a much smaller and lighter alternative to my K-3 DSLR,
Which at that time was "flagShip" of K Mount.The newest flagship of Fuji is the X-H2s and X-H2(announcing in September)

The sizes are very similar.

Here is a comparison of current crop flagship bodies ...660gms versus 820gms

https://camerasize.com/compare/#891,873
the X-M1
It could have been called the XM as theres no 2(yet).A unique body with gen 1 sensor and gen 2 processor.Cheap but extremely GREAT.

In short, it's a system I would thoroughly recommend for small size, excellent cameras that are a pleasure to use, superb lenses and a great platform to adapt lenses from other mounts.
Might I add that with this years releases Fuji look like moving up to challenge the BIG 3,its early days and whether they can get to that level is a waiting game.They've said they wanted to be number one in mirrorless.That was before Nikon and Canon launched their latest systems.I think they can do well and keep a respectable 4th in market share to themselves.

Last edited by surfar; 06-06-2022 at 06:24 PM.
06-06-2022, 07:36 PM   #4176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
That was before Nikon and Canon launched their latest systems.
And I think both of them are still playing catch up to Fuji.
06-06-2022, 08:04 PM   #4177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
And I think both of them are still playing catch up to Fuji.
Canon has r5 and r3 and R1 to come near end of year...all are high level very advanced bodies

Nikon has Z9

Those 4 bodies are a fair way ahead of Fuji in lots of areas.

The H2s "kinda looks" like it'll catch up a bit but I'll wait till the final firmware is done and its out in the world performing.

06-06-2022, 10:58 PM - 1 Like   #4178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
X-T2 with Takumar 35mm f4

Great colors! FujiTax win in that deaprtment.
06-07-2022, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #4179
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It could have been called the XM as theres no 2(yet).A unique body with gen 1 sensor and gen 2 processor.Cheap but extremely GREAT.
Yep, the X-M1 is a fantastic camera for what it costs, really the only major thing missing is a viewfinder, which is what really pushed my to get the X-T20. I've even considered as part of my reduction of Fujifilm gear, selling the X-T20 and keeping just the X-M1, but I think that might be a step too far, at least for now.
06-07-2022, 03:40 AM   #4180
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Great colors! FujiTax win in that deaprtment.
thank you...
06-07-2022, 03:51 AM - 2 Likes   #4181
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

X-T2 + Takumar 35mm f4

06-07-2022, 05:40 AM   #4182
Pentaxian

Canon has r5 and r3 and R1 to come near end of year...all are high level very advanced bodies

Nikon has Z9

Those 4 bodies are a fair way ahead of Fuji in lots of areas.

The H2s "kinda looks" like it'll catch up a bit but I'll wait till the final firmware is done and its out in the world performing.
To me Canon and Nikon seem to crank so many different models of cameras out there it can be quite confusing causing paralysis when it comes to purchasing. Another reason for me to stay with Fuji.
06-07-2022, 09:15 PM   #4183
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
To me Canon and Nikon seem to crank so many different models of cameras out
In the current generation Nikon has the z50 and the copycat to Fuji ZTC?ZFD? and a 5/6/7/9...6 models

Canon Has R,RP 3/5/6/ and maybe ya can count the Cinemas R5c? Next month they add the 2 crop cameras...8 in total

Fuji T3/4. T30...Pro3...S10...E4...100V ...H2s...H2 in september....GFX 50smk 2...gfx 100 and 100s...thats 12 in total

Its nice to have choice.

btw, forget the CaNik Dslrs...some are still in production but are only there while the market wants and they run down inventory.

It'll be interesting to see which, if all of the smallerFuji bodies they persist with?
06-08-2022, 04:03 AM   #4184
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

X-T2 + Takumar 35mm f4

06-08-2022, 04:30 AM - 2 Likes   #4185
Pentaxian