Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2015, 08:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Vintage camera repair recommendation

My wife received her grandfather's camera from her father. Her grandfather picked it up from a dead German soldier during WWII. It is an Agfa Billy Record with a Prontor II lens. The shutter is a little slow and sticky and the focus ring is completely stuck. We'd like to have this camera professionally CLA'ed. Can anyone here offer us a recommendation on where to send it for service?

Thanks!

08-21-2015, 09:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
My wife received her grandfather's camera from her father. Her grandfather picked it up from a dead German soldier during WWII. It is an Agfa Billy Record with a Prontor II lens. The shutter is a little slow and sticky and the focus ring is completely stuck. We'd like to have this camera professionally CLA'ed. Can anyone here offer us a recommendation on where to send it for service?

Thanks!
Try this place, he fixed an old German rangefinder my father in-law gave from from the 1950's.

ZeissIkonRolleiRepair.com

Phil.
08-22-2015, 01:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I;d be interested in finding out as well.

I've got a Billy Record as well, with an intermittently sticky shutter.

My focus ring works fine though.

Not sure if the Prontor is the same as the Jgestar on mine, but mine only has two focus positions, close and far. Operated by a lever on the side like teh aperture.
The focus ring doesn't turn like later cameras
08-22-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Here's what the Agfa looks like. Definitely has a focusing ring.

08-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Ahh, it sure does.

That is substantially different to mine, and also a few stops faster.

On mine the lever on the right is what sets the lens to one of it's two focus positions.
09-17-2015, 01:51 AM   #6
ghl

I know this thread is a little old, but if you haven't had any success in finding someone to work on your Agfa you might give this guy a try.

Ken Ruth - Bald Mountain

main1

The site is sort of 1.0ish, but it seems he works on quite a range of older cameras.
09-19-2015, 10:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those old Agfas are always stuck when you get them. The lubricant in the threads solidifies over time. The most difficult part of overhauling one is recalibrating infinity focus.