Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Canon might have something big comming

I dont know how many of you saw the canon 6dmkii rumored specs but wow, it looks like they've taken a pretty big cue from the big mirror less players. According to the rumors, its supposed to have a touch screen, wi fi/nfc, wireless charging , a tilt/swivel screen, etc. What a like about the mirorless systems is that they brought these kinds of things to pro level stuff. Now if this is real, it might make me look at canon a bit more. Canon/nikon have fallen behind but it looks like canon is atleast catching up. Seems like all weve been seeing from nikon are announcements for stupid huge lenses.. Pentax has some pretty big shoes to fill with their upcoming ff offering. Autotofocus seems to be where its at these with canons dual pixel af and panasonics dfd technology. Problem is that pentax just seems like it wants top copy the big two and until now the big two havent really been making huge leaps forward.

09-10-2015, 12:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
...a BIG PRICE HIKE ...you know that's a no-brainer
09-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have bought 2 of these stupid huge lenses and I'm very happy with them. If Pentax had released a comparable lens, ie an upgrade of the FA*600 f4, instead of this stupid DA560 f5.6, I wouldn't have switch to Nikon recently
09-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

A BIG price gouge?

A BIG deficit in dynamic range?

A BIG crack in the side of a cheap toy-grade plastic body?

09-10-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
A BIG price gouge?

A BIG deficit in dynamic range?

A BIG crack in the side of a cheap toy-grade plastic body?

Buddy, i dont know if you have ever picked up a canon but they feel very solid, in fact is was one one of the things that made it hard to choose between a canon or nikon. Ultimately the dynamic range did sway me, but canon has a huge part of the market share. its like 2/3s dude. I think that speaks volumes more than dx0 scores that i always see being thrown around. The dynamic range did help me as i discovered i love shooting landscaps but if you're you're shooting goals largely steer towards people and weddings, the dynamic range wont do much for you. Canon is basically the workhorse of the pro photo industry and slandering them with cheap smears doesnt accomplish much aside from making pentax fans look insecure imo. The 7dmkii body is full magnesium alloy and thats coming off the original one that i think was only partially magnesium alloy so the same will probably be true.
09-10-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

It's probably just as well all these cameras aren't available at the same time as you would be in severe debt. You keep talking about changing brands, buying new equipment. The Canon 6D isn't pro grade material. It's FF at a consumer level. Decent enough, but no better than the Nikon you already have. Why not spend some money on things that will improve your photography. Like a workshop with a pro? You're like a child in a sweetshop constantly on a sugar rush but wanting to stuff more and more sweets into your bag.
09-11-2015, 12:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
It's probably just as well all these cameras aren't available at the same time as you would be in severe debt. You keep talking about changing brands, buying new equipment. The Canon 6D isn't pro grade material. It's FF at a consumer level. Decent enough, but no better than the Nikon you already have. Why not spend some money on things that will improve your photography. Like a workshop with a pro? You're like a child in a sweetshop constantly on a sugar rush but wanting to stuff more and more sweets into your bag.
Not gonna lie always loved candy. Its not entirely unfounded. Love live view shooting, but the af isnt very good, so im really looking at something where the af in live view is a little more practical. Video in low light was kind of a letdown. Its a bummer that i can shoot at 4000 in stills but pushing 1600 in video is eh. There is no focus peaking or anything. No histogram or exposure tools. Cant tell you how often i wanted these. Biggest issue is the weight of everything. I really kind of miss the small size of my pentax gear. True i could have never gotten half the shots with my ancient pentax that i have with my nikon (such as shooting out of a moving train) but im 90% sure im headed for sony.

09-11-2015, 01:06 AM   #8
Pentaxian

My point is that you jump on every new things as if it's the best things since sliced bread
09-11-2015, 02:48 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want video, Sony and Panasonic are probably the cameras to look at. But honestly, you need to look at glass before technology. In the end, it is the glass more than the camera that's important (and the photographer more than all of that stuff).
09-11-2015, 07:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, Canon came with something really big, in small format.

A 600mm f4 lens not longer than 232mm. This is a WOW factor. I don't know how heavy will be, but I've took some pictures with a 400mm f2,8, which is much longer, and was my biggest surprise to see how steady this lens is handheld. And the way how optical stabilization work for long lenses it is one of the factor that makes my buy a Canon DSLR recently.

And another big thing. A working camera with 120Mp APS-H sensor. I'm not a fan of so many Mp, but this is an achievement. And I knew a lot of folks here who loves as many Mp as possible.
09-11-2015, 10:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Also supposed to have a 250 mp camera coming up. Can you imagine shooting the moon with this? You might be able to see the original moon landing.
09-11-2015, 04:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Also supposed to have a 250 mp camera coming up. Can you imagine shooting the moon with this? You might be able to see the original moon landing.

You be able to see Elvis
i'm curious to see their new 1DxII and 5DIV