Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2015, 10:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What drew you to photography?

Im probably the first one who picked up their first camera a few years ago (psh whats film ) but what inspired you to start shooting? For me the intrigue lay in being able to capture things that were all but invisible to the naked eye. I remember standing on the balcony of my dorm going "hm i wonder what i can see at iso 3200". Took a shot. And a deer right there that had been there a few feet away for god knows how long. High speed photography is also really cool for me.

So what about you?

09-23-2015, 10:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I was young, every important event culminated in picture-taking. The camera was my measure of how significant something was. If my father didn't take pictures, it must just be ordinary stuff. Somehow, that translated into "photography is important". Later, after I got the camera in my own hands, I discovered it as an outlet for artistic expression.
09-23-2015, 10:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I always liked taking pictures, although the frequence (and quality ) of said picture-taking increased dramatically after my mom got a D5000 5 or 6 years ago.
I don't really remember much of my photos before that though, and, sadly, I'm not sure where all of them are.

Last edited by Giklab; 09-24-2015 at 07:16 AM.
09-24-2015, 06:48 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My mother always had a camera taking pictures, so when I was about 9-10 I got my first camera, a Brownie Hawkeye (still have it!). Since then, I've always loved photography.

09-24-2015, 11:21 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I was never into photography. I was planning a trip back a good many years ago and bought a new Oly C720 camera. Mrs Rupert said they were a waste of money and the photos would be junk compared to her 35mm Minolta film camera.

We went to Big Bend and I was amazed at the shots I got...and so was she! Later, as I approached retirement, I had to decide on a hobby.....a new Triumph motorcycle or a new DSLR.....I had never owned a DSLR before. The camera seemed a better choice, I could use it any time of year, regardless of weather, and bike riding is not as safe for an old guy as it was when I was young and rode constantly.

I figured the camera stuff would be cheaper too....sure was dead wrong on that part! I bought a DS and have been happily at it ever since. Have owned a K10D, K20D, K5 and now a K5IIs. Never have mastered it, and never will, but it has been countless hours of great fun and enjoyment. Mrs Rupert even financed me a little studio for a year and it was a true delight and photographer's dream come true.....had great fun there! Never made a dime, but it was a wonderful experience!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35763648@N05/albums/72157631360478088

I closed my little studio...broke a foot all to hell when I fell off my roof, but the year I was laid up it was wonderful to have a hobby where I could shoot out my little office windows, process, and converse with you guys here on PForums...it was a lifesaver for certain!

I remember when I bought my DS ....shooting out my office windows in low light at ISO 6400 was unthinkable......now it is a just common everyday practice!

That's my story...and I'm stickin' to it!

Regards!
09-24-2015, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I was drawn to photography because I could not draw.
09-24-2015, 01:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I was drawn to photography because I could not draw.
LOL, I would love to be able to draw...even a straight line would be nice

When I was around 8 I guess, I took a summer camp, I am thinking at the Y, not sure, but my friend and I went out with a counselor and took photos of normal things that we were supposed to be something else. I think I took a photo of a trash can and called it an alien, and my friend took a picture of a manhole cover and called it an ant maze. Then they took us into the darkroom to watch them print the photos, I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

So I kept doing it, all through high school. I ended up majoring in photography in college. Then I stopped taking photos for about 20 years...

09-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My dad was an avid amateur and I saw a lot of his pictures some of which I still have. Then the USAF needed another photographer when I enlisted and I've been shootin' ever since.
09-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My dad was probably my first inspiration too. He had some old Pentax 35mm from the 70's that he would get out pretty often for family photos. Then we would have desert on the couch (which was NOT the norm) and watch his slide shows. Good times! We do this in our household now as well but the slide shows are on the TV instead of the old screen.
What really made me like landscape photography was when I was a watercolorist getting my degree in the 90's. I'd bring my old hand-me-down ME Super on hikes and adventures to capture landscapes with the intention of painting from them later. Eventually I phased out the painting step and just shot the photos.

---------- Post added 09-24-15 at 03:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
LOL, I would love to be able to draw...even a straight line would be nice

When I was around 8 I guess, I took a summer camp, I am thinking at the Y, not sure, but my friend and I went out with a counselor and took photos of normal things that we were supposed to be something else. I think I took a photo of a trash can and called it an alien, and my friend took a picture of a manhole cover and called it an ant maze. Then they took us into the darkroom to watch them print the photos, I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

So I kept doing it, all through high school. I ended up majoring in photography in college. Then I stopped taking photos for about 20 years...
Straight lines are overrated!
09-24-2015, 04:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

When I was 10 years old we had a BBQ at my uncle’s house. One of my uncles from out of state had a Kodak Instamatic camera, (the one that developed the pictures 60 sec. after taking them) and let me take a few pictures with it and I instantly fell in love with photography.

I suddenly became the official family photographer, at any event I was the one taken the pictures and loved it. The only problem was when you are behind the camera you are never in the pictures. I didn’t mind because I loved taken pictures more than being in them.

The high school I attended offered photography courses where I learned the history and theory of photography such as framing, composition, exposure ect… and how to develop, print and mount photos and loved every bit of it.

After high school I left photography and didn’t think about it for 30+ years when I was bit by the photo bug again. I purchased a Pentax K5 camera and Photoshop with Lightroom and started learning how to work with photos on a computer and loving every second of it.
09-24-2015, 04:16 PM   #11
Pentaxian

A second hand Spotmatic in a shop window in 1975
09-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I can trace my interest back to when I was a little kid. I am from Texas but I grew up in Saudi and after we moved back my dad worked over there until I was a teenager.

With that as the backdrop I was always taken in by reading and looking at all the photos in National Geographic. Something about that just sparked a 'thing' to make me interested. That said I never really did much with it.

When I was in Jr. high school (maybe 13 years old?) I took a semester of photography. We developed our own film and did the whole nine. Mainly we shot black and white. I never shot anything note worthy that I recall.

I also recall going to a major waterski tournament when I was about the same age and walking around with a borrowed camera (from my dad) taking pictures of the action and all the professionals. (I myself was an avid competitive and hopeful professional skier at the time).

Nothing ever happened with photography at all and I never took many photos at all until much later (in my 30s) when I was more or less traveling a lot. I went to at least 15 or so countries with a small point and shoot. In the back of my mind I wanted a better camera and I always still had this photography thing in the back of my mind. After my 7+year old point and shoot died I was pretty sad LOL! It got caught up in some sand in South Africa and it never worked the same after that and eventually it bit the dust.

I tried a couple of different point and shoots but still wasn't quite happy with them so eventually I broke down and spent the money... my first camera was a K-5 and I went through a stack of lenses trying out everything I could afford. Now, here I am.
09-24-2015, 11:18 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Light. I always noticed the color of daylight when I walked outside and the way it hit certain objects. Had I been able to paint, that fascination may have landed my efforts on canvas. Not being able to translate what I saw to my hands, I took camera to eye and found an artistic home there.

My grandfather always had the latest camera on hand -- I still have some of his first Polaroid pictures from back in the 1950's -- so it seemed natural to pick up a camera. I was lucky enough to study photography in college and fell in love with the darkroom - such opportunity to create! But I was thrilled when digital photography came along and allowed us to do what we did without the chemicals. What a journey it's been!
10-20-2015, 01:45 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Actually it was partly drawing that drew me to photography. Since I hated looking for and using magazine clippings for stuff to draw it just made more sense to take a photo of something that actually interested me. Hmmm it seems I prefer the photography., okay, I like all of it.
10-26-2015, 03:54 PM   #15
Pentaxian

In 1968, I worked for a publishing company as an editorial assistant, which was their wording for a junior reporter . My boss (publisher) at the time told me I would have to make myself more useful, by taking pictures, in addition to writing articles.

I knew nothing about cameras, so asked him what kind of camera should I get. He said a 35mm SLR, either a Nikon or a Pentax. He then directed me to check with the company photography department, for further advice.

I did and as it was my money, I bought a Pentax S1a. It was cheaper...by $ 20 CAD...to a Nikon.

I've used Pentax ever since.