Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2015, 11:14 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax lenses on Nikon body?

Is there anyone that uses their Pentax lenses on a Nikon body with an adapter? I am tempted to try this as I can get get a spare Nikon body for next to nothing. I assume I will be shooting completely manually like with an m42 Takumar lens (which I have no problem with), so I'd like to know of anyone that has done this and any additional thoughts about it?

09-30-2015, 11:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Is there anyone that uses their Pentax lenses on a Nikon body with an adapter? I am tempted to try this as I can get get a spare Nikon body for next to nothing. I assume I will be shooting completely manually like with an m42 Takumar lens (which I have no problem with), so I'd like to know of anyone that has done this and any additional thoughts about it?
Most people don't want to degrade the image quality with subpar glass/plastic in the flange converter.
09-30-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yea, adapting in that direction is difficult and requires glass elements in the adapter. This generally affects the image quality negatively. Canon bodies are better for adapting Pentax K and m42 lenses
And besides, if you already have a Pentax camera, you probably won't gain anything by using the same glass adapted on another brand camera - unless we are talking about cameras from significantly different tiers
09-30-2015, 11:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I've put some M42 screw-mount Super Taks on my Nikon. I used it for close up work. I can only focus out about 6 to 8 feet (~2m). But I really like the Super Tak 50/1.4 on it.

09-30-2015, 11:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok. I thought the flange distance was shorter so that you could use an adapter without elements in it. Looks like I will abandon this idea, as I like to have infinity focus.
09-30-2015, 12:11 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Ok. I thought the flange distance was shorter so that you could use an adapter without elements in it. Looks like I will abandon this idea, as I like to have infinity focus.
Nikon F-mount register = 46.5mm

Pentax K-mount register = 45.46mm (same as M42)
09-30-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually...
You can transplant the mounts, you can even mount the Nikon directly to your SLR without modification if it is a PRE-AI lens. I have done it recently and shot with my 50mm f/2 Nikon on my Pentax DSLR. It works like M42 set to manual in that you have stopped down aperture and you treat it like a preset. You have to be very careful as it only turns about 1/8 of a rotation in the mount before stopping. Some people have drilled recesses into the Nikon mount to ensure that it locks in this position or just swapped the mounts out entirely. When swapping you can add a small shim to make the Nikon perfectly focus at the right spot - otherwise Infinity might be slightly off - showing up in the finder before the focus scale reaches it.

The key is that Nikon's mount distance is just barely larger than Pentax - not enough room for an adapter but close enough for a mount transplant. You can also get the Adaptist mount for your camera in which case you need only use a shim and it will mount the Nikon more securely.
Flickr

Completely misread the original question. I have heard of the reverse of what I posted above where a Pentax mount is removed and the lens is shaved down and a Nikon mount added but this is major surgery and not really necessary. K mount can easily be adapted to work on a Sony, an Olympus, a Panasonic, a Samsung, a Fujifilm, a Canon, or a Pentax if you need to use K mount glass.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 09-30-2015 at 02:22 PM.
09-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #8

The problem here is not the flange distance -- the F-mount has a 1mm longer distance -- but the throat diameter, with the Pentax K-mount having a diameter equal or larger than the F-mount's 44mm diameter due to compatibility allowances for the adapter that Asahi designed to mount M42 screw-mount lenses. This would require moving the lens away from the film plane in order to fit an adapter, followed by lens elements to restore infinity focus.
09-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Kood M42 to Nikon adapter with a glass lens that works very well on my D700. Also Fotodiox makes an adapter with a 'coated' lens.

09-30-2015, 02:12 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aremmes Quote
The problem here is not the flange distance -- the F-mount has a 1mm longer distance -- but the throat diameter, with the Pentax K-mount having a diameter equal or larger than the F-mount's 44mm diameter due to compatibility allowances for the adapter that Asahi designed to mount M42 screw-mount lenses. This would require moving the lens away from the film plane in order to fit an adapter, followed by lens elements to restore infinity focus.
The problem IS flange distance as the OP is talking about using K-mount lenses on a F-mount body.
09-30-2015, 02:14 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Actually...
You can transplant the mounts, you can even mount the Nikon directly to your SLR without modification if it is a PRE-AI lens. I have done it recently and shot with my 50mm f/2 Nikon on my Pentax DSLR. It works like M42 set to manual in that you have stopped down aperture and you treat it like a preset. You have to be very careful as it only turns about 1/8 of a rotation in the mount before stopping. Some people have drilled recesses into the Nikon mount to ensure that it locks in this position or just swapped the mounts out entirely. When swapping you can add a small shim to make the Nikon perfectly focus at the right spot - otherwise Infinity might be slightly off - showing up in the finder before the focus scale reaches it.

The key is that Nikon's mount distance is just barely larger than Pentax - not enough room for an adapter but close enough for a mount transplant. You can also get the Adaptist mount for your camera in which case you need only use a shim and it will mount the Nikon more securely.

Sample shot: nothing special just a quick validation for myself...
OP is asking about going the other way...K-mount on a F-mount body...
09-30-2015, 02:22 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
OP is asking about going the other way...K-mount on a F-mount body...
See edit - I already fixed it. We were ships passing in the night.
09-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Shooting a K-mount lens on a F-mount camera without corrective optics is like shooting with an extension tube. And in the case of this M42->F-mount adapter, you also have to focus with live view mode.

Super Tak 50/1.4 on a F-mount

09-30-2015, 02:39 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A friend of mine just bought the Takumar 50mm macro and loves it on his Nikon DSLR - however he doesn't need or want infinity focus - the lens was purchased for macro work only.

---------- Post added 09-30-15 at 05:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote

Your picture makes me nostalgic.
09-30-2015, 08:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I tried a pentax macro on my d600. Works out pretty nicely

Last edited by neostyles; 09-09-2016 at 03:17 AM.