Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2015, 03:08 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
EVF versus OVF is an argument that can't be won either way. It truly is a matter of taste. Some people really do get headaches looking into an EVF and feel eye strain fairly quickly. Others can use them all day long without a problem and really like the overlays that are possible with them as well as the manual focusing helps. I still do prefer a good OVF. A nice, bright, uncluttered viewfinder which looks like the world around me is what I want.

As to the original article, I think it was pretty decent. I haven't found issues with auto focus, although if I am super shaky -- trying to shoot 300mm at 1/10 second, I should probably just give up. The photo won't be usable, not because of auto focus issues, but because I just can't hand hold it here. Honestly situations that strain SR aren't likely to be ones where you are shooting quick moving objects. If you are shooting at a rodeo with a shutter speed of under 1/500 second, it isn't likely you will get a lot of great shots and not because of SR's inability to keep up. The sensor can be stable and you still have a bunch of motion bur from your subject moving. Metering certainly isn't effected by it.

The whole telephoto thing with lens based stabilization being claimed as better is stated a lot, but I don't honestly think there is a huge difference between the two. The author doesn't mention Olympus, but they probably have the best IBIS and they have been great at stabilizing telephotos for a long time. Pentax isn't as strong in that department, but I am sure they are working on improvements.

10-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
EVF versus OVF is an argument that can't be won either way. It truly is a matter of taste. Some people really do get headaches looking into an EVF and feel eye strain fairly quickly. Others can use them all day long without a problem and really like the overlays that are possible with them as well as the manual focusing helps. I still do prefer a good OVF. A nice, bright, uncluttered viewfinder which looks like the world around me is what I want.

As to the original article, I think it was pretty decent. I haven't found issues with auto focus, although if I am super shaky -- trying to shoot 300mm at 1/10 second, I should probably just give up. The photo won't be usable, not because of auto focus issues, but because I just can't hand hold it here. Honestly situations that strain SR aren't likely to be ones where you are shooting quick moving objects. If you are shooting at a rodeo with a shutter speed of under 1/500 second, it isn't likely you will get a lot of great shots and not because of SR's inability to keep up. The sensor can be stable and you still have a bunch of motion bur from your subject moving. Metering certainly isn't effected by it.

The whole telephoto thing with lens based stabilization being claimed as better is stated a lot, but I don't honestly think there is a huge difference between the two. The author doesn't mention Olympus, but they probably have the best IBIS and they have been great at stabilizing telephotos for a long time. Pentax isn't as strong in that department, but I am sure they are working on improvements.
Yep, i thought it was a good article. I liked how they presented advantages and disadvantages for each option. Thats how the world of design is. Pentax is now claiming 4.5 stops shake reduction for their latest SR in K3 II, which is the same amount that Sony is claiming..

I think you're right to be circumspect about lens stabilization being better. But what lens stabilization has going for it - you can see it in the VF. And what Sony/Olympus IBIS has going for it - you can see it in the VF. What Pentax SR doesn't have going for it - you can't see it in the OVF. Its hard for Pentax to fight that.
10-14-2015, 12:38 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
he pointed out lens stabilization is better on long lenses but failed to mention pixel shift on in body stabilization is much better for landscape. This is very new though. I think k3ii users like it.
One reason for him failed mentioning pixel shift could be because it was written in Feb 2012, years before Pentax introduced pixel shift.