Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 122 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2022, 06:38 AM - 2 Likes   #46
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought the Dji Mini SE recently. Did the uk flyer ID, which I didn't need to do but seeing as it's just about knowing the drone code I thought I might as well. Bought the Operator ID and have been learning to fly it. Mostly still flying patterns to familiarise myself with the controls and slowly sending the drone higher and further as I get used to it. I'm quite impressed by how good the camera is and I'm looking forward to going out and trying a few pics of things I've got ideas about.

Here I am concentrating hard, so hard I forgot to look up as I took the picture... and the pic is just a low res upload not what the camera is capable of

03-15-2022, 05:39 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
I bought the Dji Mini SE recently. Did the uk flyer ID, which I didn't need to do but seeing as it's just about knowing the drone code I thought I might as well. Bought the Operator ID and have been learning to fly it. Mostly still flying patterns to familiarise myself with the controls and slowly sending the drone higher and further as I get used to it. I'm quite impressed by how good the camera is and I'm looking forward to going out and trying a few pics of things I've got ideas about.

Here I am concentrating hard, so hard I forgot to look up as I took the picture... and the pic is just a low res upload not what the camera is capable of
Same drone I bought the first of this year. With the weather and winds I've not got much time with it yet, perhaps a dozen hours at best. But summer is coming. Be sure to post your experience and images with it.
03-16-2022, 06:39 AM   #48
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Same drone I bought the first of this year. With the weather and winds I've not got much time with it yet, perhaps a dozen hours at best. But summer is coming. Be sure to post your experience and images with it.
I will. Wind is a problem for me too, especially living on the West coast of the UK. I've largely been confined to a relatively sheltered field, flying quite low. I suppose this is one of the drawbacks of a smaller drone. I'll have to see how that goes but like you say, spring and summer are on the way. In the meantime I'll continue flying patterns and practising camera techniques, still a lot to learn and having never been a gamer, co-ordination of two sticks needs some practise, as does distance judgement.

As well as the UK registration, I'll probably do the Irish one too which will allow me to fly in any EU country, which of course the UK is not any more but there's no rush on that one as I have no travel plans yet.
03-18-2022, 04:13 AM - 3 Likes   #49
Closed Account

So this is my project, to get a decent shot of this view. As far West as you can go where I live, with Red Rocks in the foreground and the Royal Liverpool Golf club in the background where the Open has been held a few times and is due to return again.

Things I learnt from this flight. Shooting into the sun is pretty much a no no with the mini SE. Everything was washed out and the shadows too deep. I didn't get the drone in the right place because I lost sight of it which made me a bit anxious and not take my time composing the picture and finding the right angle. It wasn't that far away either, 100metres up and 250 metres back but I just couldn't see it in the light. What I should have done was take the pictures, bring it back, examine what I had and then send it back out at a different viewpoint watching it as it got there. Swapping between flying and checking the screen means it's easy to lose it in the sky. At least I know where to position it next time and not to go in the morning. I presume I'll get better at locating it as I get more used to flying. The other thing was that the gimbal wasn't straight, despite doing a calibration but I've now discovered how to calibrate it manually in flight which is useful as it was about 3 degrees out. So I shall head back sometime, in the afternoon with some fluffy clouds in the sky and the Mini positioned further back off the point of the rocks on the left to get the view down both sides of the coast.

03-22-2022, 04:54 AM - 3 Likes   #50
Closed Account

Wind finally dropped enough for a more open flight.

Caldy beach Groynes from above as opposed to the more usual angle I've shown below this shot

The usual beach angle

And sometimes shooting into the sun does work, though this is not obviously a drone shot unless you know the area.

What I wanted to see today was how far away I could see the drone and whether I could still orient it at those distances. I found that 200metres out and 50m up is the limit for finding it if you look away and then back. Further can be achieved if you don't look away but it isn't really that far to stay in VLOS rules.

I also learned not to bother with the circle quick shot in a strong breeze as it goes sickeningly quickly on the downwind section :-)

Still it's fun to play with and I'm still learning what makes a drone shot and what doesn't.
04-03-2022, 08:36 PM - 2 Likes   #51
Pentaxian

I have a Mini 1 & 2 and have just acquired a dji Air 2S. What an awesome drone! I'll need to start doing some video with it, but mostly photos for now. The fixed f2.8 22mm-equivalent 1-inch 20mP dji sensor is VERY good. Here are a couple of frames:

04-04-2022, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #52
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
I have a Mini 1 & 2 and have just acquired a dji Air 2S. What an awesome drone! I'll need to start doing some video with it, but mostly photos for now. The fixed f2.8 22mm-equivalent 1-inch 20mP dji sensor is VERY good. Here are a couple of frames:

I've seen a number of stills from that drone now, all very good. I'll have to see how my drone use develops but it definitely looks the way to go if I find the Mini Se isn't quite up to what I want. I'm a long way from that decision right now though.

04-11-2022, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #53
Closed Account

Took the drone on it's first holiday. A week in Northumberland, in an isolated cottage, which is the first shot, which was just a short walk from a part of Hadrians wall, which you see in the second shot. The wall follows the contours of the hill, right on the crest of the three hills, a bleak and blowy place in cold weather and there was a fair bit of that this week!

I'm still predominantly using the drone for still images, which can be hit and miss if they work or not with the little sensor. I did do some videos as well, including taking the drone with me on a cycle ride and trying a tracking shot of my wife cycling but I made a rookie error and didn't actually record the damn shot! I will be buying two smaller cases to put the drone and controller in separately for easier packing as the fly more case is too large for comfort. I'm still having fun using it and am still nowhere near understanding the best times and shots to use it for.
04-14-2022, 02:17 AM - 3 Likes   #54
Pentaxian

Another from the Air 2S
04-17-2022, 11:14 AM - 4 Likes   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some pics taking last month

#

Light in the forest
04-22-2022, 10:54 PM - 4 Likes   #56
Pentaxian

04-24-2022, 06:34 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Planetary alignment from pre-dawn, this morning. Air 2S drone. From right, Moon (blown out), Saturn, Mars, Venus, and Jupiter.

Cropped more
04-25-2022, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #58
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dave i got the Air 2s and previously had the mini and absolutely love it
04-25-2022, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
Dave i got the Air 2s and previously had the mini and absolutely love it
It is such an awesome upgrade!! I have both Minis. Thought about waiting for the Mini3, which will no doubt be stellar, but I'm loving the Air 2S and that great 1" sensor!
05-22-2022, 05:20 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Another Air 2S shot (sunset)