Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Saved a life yesterday...

11-28-2015, 05:41 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Per the FAA:

Model aircraft operations are for hobby or recreational purposes only.

The FAA has partnered with several industry associations to promote Know Before You Fly, a campaign to educate the public about using unmanned aircraft safely and responsibly. Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines, which include:

Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
Don't fly near people or stadiums
Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft

The statutory parameters of a model aircraft operation are outlined in Section 336 of Public Law 112-95 (the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012) (PDF). Individuals who fly within the scope of these parameters do not require permission to operate their UAS; any flight outside these parameters (including any non-hobby, non-recreational operation) requires FAA authorization. For example, using a UAS to take photos for your personal use is recreational; using the same device to take photographs or videos for compensation or sale to another individual would be considered a non-recreational operation.
11-28-2015, 07:09 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep.

Good thing all my FAA paperwork is in order.
As long as you have your application number and are adhering to the guidelines, most places are cool with the gray area we live in these days.

Also, make sure when people come up to you, that they have the authority to question you.
Otherwise you get wannabe "Feds" and fake law enforcement types playing vigilante.

The funny thing is that the paperwork takes MONTHS (mine is still in the process), and in the forms you fill out, you have to justify *why* you need the permit to begin with.
So on one hand you have to have the FAA paperwork, and the need to do the work, but you can't actually be doing the work!

All the police that have questioned me, laugh when I show them all my documentation.
They are just trying to do their job.

I'm pretty sure everyone - FAA and law enforcement - know how crazy the rules are right now, and no one is being prosecuted for anything - except the dronetards who do incredibly stupid things, or you live in an area that has overzealous types who wear tin hats and go after stuff like this.

In a few years, everything will settle down, and those of us that have a legitimate need to make money from drones and UAVs will get what they need.

Just for the record...I have NEVER been paid for a specific drone shoot or drone specific work.

It's the wild west right now, where technology has outstripped the legislation.

Lauren

---------- Post added 11-28-15 at 09:41 PM ----------

I just checked my paperwork!
Thanks to this thread for reminding me!
It looks like I am in the "Comment" period, so I should be 100% legit.
I think the "comment" period is something like 2 weeks or a month.
Dunno.

When it's all done, I will write something up for folks to go the "legit" route.

Honestly though, my guess is new rules will arrive before then.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 11-28-2015 at 07:32 PM.
11-30-2015, 06:50 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I looked at the 333 exception before I bought and was planning on filing one but it looked to me like you needed to be a licensed pilot, or have one operating the UAV? There has been at least one photographer who was fined, but the judge sided with him the FAA regulations now is like a memo with guidelines not law enforceable on civilians.

This is my favorite video so far, a frozen waterfall.

11-30-2015, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

How about this for aerial video?
This Guy Put a Stabilized Camera on a Boomerang
11-30-2015, 11:43 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ToyTank Quote
I looked at the 333 exception before I bought and was planning on filing one but it looked to me like you needed to be a licensed pilot, or have one operating the UAV? There has been at least one photographer who was fined, but the judge sided with him the FAA regulations now is like a memo with guidelines not law enforceable on civilians.

This is my favorite video so far, a frozen waterfall.

https://youtu.be/Z8-vvWJpYYU
Nice!

Yeah, the laws are pretty vague in some cases, and between the 333 exemption, Amateur use, FAA recommendations and the upcoming rulings, no one knows 100% what to make of it.

I try and join/register/whatever to that I can be part of the solution and to quiet people that want to mess with me when I am doing my thing.

It's also why I maintain my press passes and other bits out and about photographing things.

12-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Santas going to be nice this yr(I have been good!)....a learner drone is on the way

Syma X5C-1....plus a FPV controller with apparently a better camera that has an independent battery.

Its a start!

But once I can fly, then the Hubsan H501s looks like the one for me.(cant afford the Parrot Bebops or Phantoms).
12-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Santas going to be nice this yr(I have been good!)....a learner drone is on the way

Syma X5C-1....plus a FPV controller with apparently a better camera that has an independent battery.

Its a start!

But once I can fly, then the Hubsan H501s looks like the one for me.(cant afford the Parrot Bebops or Phantoms).
Sweet!
12-30-2015, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is what I am shooting over the Christmas/New Years break...

Enjoy...there will probably be more.
01-05-2016, 01:17 PM   #26
Pentaxian

OK, the slow Santa boat from china has arrived....my Syma X5C1 learner drone has arrived!

BUT some news!!!!!

Parrot has a proto type ....named the Disco(get up and boogie) that gets up and stays up.....45 minutes

looks like Phantom has to match it!

same camera though....ONLY 1080p....14 mp stills

pricing unkown at this stage

---------- Post added 01-06-16 at 07:28 AM ----------

Also the Parrot flys at 50mph.....

if only they can upgrade the camera!
01-05-2016, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmm....Gotta say that after the last week or so, just looking at specs don't tell the whole story.
After my videos above - here are some more!

The conditions above were in heavy winds and over 1000' feet of distance.
Not sure if some of these drones that are coming on the market can really match the DJI Phantom 3 - yet.

Enjoy the videos!

---------- Post added 01-05-16 at 03:52 PM ----------

OK, the slow Santa boat from china has arrived....my Syma X5C1 learner drone has arrived!

BUT some news!!!!!

Parrot has a proto type ....named the Disco(get up and boogie) that gets up and stays up.....45 minutes

looks like Phantom has to match it!

same camera though....ONLY 1080p....14 mp stills

pricing unkown at this stage

---------- Post added 01-06-16 at 07:28 AM ----------

Also the Parrot flys at 50mph.....

if only they can upgrade the camera!
Awesome that you will now have a drone!
Report back with the results/review!
01-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Yes, certainly will....and the facebook group for these are very helpful

Lauren, im wondering if you could shoot a video of the waves at MAVERICKS, half moon bay ? ? ?

its the season for big swells there and the waveriding is spectacular....a friend was living in Cali last year and had a few waves up there

if you have time?
01-05-2016, 09:01 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, certainly will....and the facebook group for these are very helpful

Lauren, im wondering if you could shoot a video of the waves at MAVERICKS, half moon bay ? ? ?

its the season for big swells there and the waveriding is spectacular....a friend was living in Cali last year and had a few waves up there

if you have time?
I can definitely try to get those shots!

01-24-2021, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mavic Mini 2

Since this drone club was already here, I thought I'd try and revive it
From above my back yard this morning.