Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2015, 07:23 AM   #31
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You were wanting to see what the squirrels had to say? Looks like they are staying out of this one.
Well, Otis was surfing and came back across this one......laughed so hard he fell out of a tree and spilled a fresh cold beer! He is filing it with several hundred others that say the same things with the same responses. I took a look in his file cabinet and it is filed under.....

"I'm Gonna Jump.......Will Anyone Save Me?"

A much larger file sits right behind it that says.......

"First Responders to Save the Jumper"

I took a look, and if you've read one...you've read them all!

Otis wants to see genuine Jumpers, that were crummy shooters before they jumped, and were even worse after they jumped....and went SPLAT! Otis loves to see Jumpers go SPLAT!

He also asks...."Why don't we ever see Jumpers that come back and show us their new brilliant work after their jump?"

Regards!....and you won't see many Jumpers get this coveted award.

12-21-2015, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Otis, our on line friend DaneDawg is still posting in the over 300 thread after the jump. His shots are at least as good as they were before jumping and they were very good indeed before the jump.

Pierre
12-21-2015, 10:35 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Otis wants to see genuine Jumpers, that were crummy shooters before they jumped, and were even worse after they jumped
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Otis, our on line friend DaneDawg is still posting in the over 300 thread after the jump. His shots are at least as good as they were before jumping and they were very good indeed before the jump.
I think Otis's point was that if your skills are poor the gear is immaterial and jumping to new gear is not going to make up for poor skills. DaneDawg could make good pictures with his shoe and a piece of glass. He moved because his skills had maxed out his gear and he made a conscious and calculated decision to move because he understood exactly what he needed.

I know people who have changed brands 3 even 4 times in the years I've known them. They always jump to whatever is advertised as the newest best thing. Their assumption being that if they could just get a better camera their images would be better. Or that their current lack of inspiration is the camera's fault. They fail to understand that the camera is only a tool and the skill needed to use it to it's best is only gained after a lot of hard work.

One of the best photographers I know (from a results stand point) was asked what camera she shot with. She had to get it out of her bag and look because she had no idea. She is also a painter and the camera was no different to her than a brush, just a tool.
12-21-2015, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote

Pierre
Otis did allow for exceptions.... "and you won't see many Jumpers get this coveted award." Noting that some may indeed be eligible for his coveted award, but there are very few exceptions. The Dawg was already a great shooter, unlike most Jumpers that blame their equipment for their own failures.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think Otis's point was that if your skills are poor the gear is immaterial and jumping to new gear is not going to make up for poor skills.
You got it! Otis says you must be playing with a "Big Brain" too!

I once knew a shooter over on DPR...and here for a while, though I have not seen him in a long time....name was Frank...from Singapore, if I recall correctly. Frank could beat 99.9% of shooters with the damn end of a fruit jar for a lens! The guy always had a lot of equipment, always buying new gear, but no matter what he used he was always exceptionally superb. Most Jumpers are like me, though I am no Jumper, they aren't nearly as serious as the gear they already own.

It doesn't hurt to own various gear.....who knows? The second nut might be better than the first, variety is the spice of life!

Otis is smarter than most Jumpers, by a pretty wide margin. He is a hell of a lot smarter than me....so when he speaks up, I generally listen! Take note Jumpers....save some heartache and cash and learn to use what you've got.

Regards!

12-21-2015, 09:34 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
because you are insecure with pentax
you don't need talent to improve your photography with better gear... d750 af is better than k3 af, for instance; any dummy can point a camera, and have more keepers with better af.
That is exactly my problem I get many slightly out of focus images! Nice expression of kids and nicely framed picture but slightly out of focus! Can I hope Pentax got it right at least with K3?

By the way, if we are willing to accept Pentax as it is, then there is no reason for them to improve or spend money on R&D!
12-22-2015, 02:26 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't see any conclusive evidence that the people who went to another brand, was because they thought that the new brand would make them a better photographer - many excellent togs over the years have switched brands

Some really enjoy their non pentax toy cameras more than the real serious ones :-))

Does owning a Pentax that maybe gets used one or twice a year make one a legitimate Pentaxian?
12-22-2015, 03:15 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TorpicalMonkey....My experience may be of some help to you. I purchased a Nikon d800 after I started doing art reproductions for local artists. Many of these I could scan on a high quality scanner, but oils, acrylics and older works had me nervous about damage so I went in search of another method.
Scanners of the type I needed were way beyond me financially, so I finally settled on the Nikon D800 for its 36mpx sensor and reputation. I initially bought it with a tamron 24-70 (read many reviews)...but found the distortion un-acceptable.

Faced with a deadline and a system that did not come up to expectations I put the K3 back on the tripod and bolted the FA43 ltd to it. Problem solved. Deadline met. Customer very, very happy.

Now....many of my fellow Pentaxians on here are going to jump in a say ...DUH !!....why didn't you do that in the first place..? I had, but thought there was something better / greener on the other side of the fence.

The moral of story....and hopefully Otis is nodding in agreement, not from too many beers....get the best out of yourself & your equipment first, camera gear at the end of the day is but a tool, examine very carefully your reasons for contemplating change and question your motives.
In your case you mention an out of focus issue on many family shots....have you checked the focus of your lens, there is a fine tuning option (read manual). Children & pets are notoriously difficult to photograph, often the lighting is far from good, maybe some work on your flash skills.

Where am I at with the D800 ? I have used it more and more, I have added a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 & Nikon 50mm, I have come to like it but am contemplating selling it to fund a new Pentax FF as I find running two systems quite annoying at times.

01-03-2016, 02:04 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
That is exactly my problem I get many slightly out of focus images! Nice expression of kids and nicely framed picture but slightly out of focus! Can I hope Pentax got it right at least with K3?

By the way, if we are willing to accept Pentax as it is, then there is no reason for them to improve or spend money on R&D!
I bought into the Sony system when the Nex cameras were the rage and then in 2015 bought the A7rII because i needed the low light capability that FF could offer. I've been in a gallery now for 16 months and so am pretty serious about bringing the best photos i know how to make to the market place. For my style of photographs, Pentax cameras were no longer getting it done. Sony FF was the right camera for my needs, but may not be right for you. Pentax does somethings better than Sony, but Sony is more interested in bringing new features into photography. After awhile the Pentax conservatism really started to bug me. If you're happy with the Pentax philosophy, then you should stay. If not then consider another brand. Ultimately, only you can decide whats right for you.
01-03-2016, 04:08 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

I think you would find a K3 or K3 II to be a significant jump with regard to focus as compared to a K5. Biggest difference is that the focus points are smaller -- well, and tracking is better too. With the K5, the focus points are so big that you can put them on someone's eyes and the camera will decide to focus on their collar instead. Looking at your signature, you have some really nice lenses that should work really well on a camera with a little better focusing algorithms. I expect improvements to come with the K1 this spring, as well.

Many of the people in this thread who are casting aspersions on the K3 have not used one. As far as I know, OSV has used a K7 and dylansalt's last Pentax was a K10D. Those cameras definitely were stone age compared to modern cameras, but it is a mistake to think that Ricoh hasn't invested significant resources into R and D. Pentax has come a long way since the K10.
01-03-2016, 08:39 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
The moral of story....and hopefully Otis is nodding in agreement, not from too many beers....get the best out of yourself & your equipment first, camera gear at the end of the day is but a tool, examine very carefully your reasons for contemplating change and question your motives.
I think Otis heard you......but the Jumpers are deaf and so we can expect to see more in 2016.

Anyhow, Otis appreciated your good sense.....with his coveted Award....few of these are awarded!

Otis had one more comment to add......."Everyone is always after "better gear"......and Pentax is always making it!" Think about it!

Regards!
01-03-2016, 09:41 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys! My K3 is on the way :-)
I know it is not an easy decision to switch systems. In fact I have acquired some more lenses in 2015 (including a FA 50mm/2.8 Macro) !!.

Edit: I see that Pentax keep improving in many areas and still keeps the prices relatively low. Hopefully they will once again become the leader of innovations and features. We will have to keep them on their toes in order to achieve that :-)

Last edited by TropicalMonkey; 01-03-2016 at 03:16 PM.
01-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think Otis heard you......but the Jumpers are deaf and so we can expect to see more in 2016.

Anyhow, Otis appreciated your good sense.....with his coveted Award....few of these are awarded!

Otis had one more comment to add......."Everyone is always after "better gear"......and Pentax is always making it!" Think about it!

Regards!
I am truly humbled.
01-04-2016, 05:08 PM   #43

I made the switch to a Nikon D7200 for the improved AF system. My keeper rate was around 10%-15% with my Pentax, and the inverse with the Nikon. Same monkey behind the lens, but for my shooting, the Nikon made all the difference in the world. I miss the green button and that's about it.
01-05-2016, 03:31 AM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks guys! My K3 is on the way :-)
I know it is not an easy decision to switch systems. In fact I have acquired some more lenses in 2015 (including a FA 50mm/2.8 Macro) !!.
Just quietly, that lens is fantastic, and will go beautifully on FF if you ever decide to go down that path. :-)
01-05-2016, 04:07 AM   #45
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Arguing about minutia of camera performance is just plain a waste of time. There are no bad cameras out there today, you can get amazing photos with any brand. So find something that fits your hand well, has the lenses you need and fits your budget.
Exactly. I produce good photographs with 60 year old cameras and lenses. While I experience restrictions, they are me not my kit.