Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2015, 09:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Choice of new compact

I'm finally biting the bullet so to speak and going to sell most of my DSLR gear - just too heavy for me to handle anymore due to my RA. I am keeping one body and 2 lenses however....

Keeping either the K-5IIs or K-30
DA* 20-250
DFA 100 WR Macro

I've pretty much decided on the Fuji x30 for my everyday camera. Just wanted a couple opinions on any alternatives before I pull the trigger later today.

Must haves:

Good viewfinder
Articulating or tilt LCD screen
WiFi capable (ability to control camera and download to my iPad).
Budget $500 (currently the x30 is $400 with free overnight shipping which is why I am deciding to pull the trigger now).

12-20-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I'm finally biting the bullet so to speak and going to sell most of my DSLR gear - just too heavy for me to handle anymore due to my RA. I am keeping one body and 2 lenses however....

DA* 20-250
DFA 100 WR Macro

I've pretty much decided on the Fuji x30 for my everyday camera. Just wanted a couple opinions on any alternatives before I pull the trigger later today.

Must haves:

Good viewfinder
Articulating or tilt LCD screen
WiFi capable (ability to control camera and download to my iPad).
Budget $500 (currently the x30 is $400 with free overnight shipping which is why I am deciding to pull the trigger now).
The only other recommendation I would have is perhaps the RX 100 mark 3, if you can find one in that price range. It has a significantly larger sensor, but it looks like it's still $750 new...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Keep the K-5IIs.

Here are cameras matching criteria but not price:
Camera feature search: Digital Photography Review
12-20-2015, 10:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The only other recommendation I would have is perhaps the RX 100 mark 3, if you can find one in that price range. It has a significantly larger sensor, but it looks like it's still $750 new...
Although out of my price range as you say I didn't realize this camera had a viewfinder.

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Keep the K-5IIs.
Yeah - I just sat down with the 2 cameras plus took some evaluation shots with the DA* 60-250 - definitely keeping the K-5IIs.

12-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Although out of my price range as you say I didn't realize this camera had a viewfinder.
Yup, and the design is pretty darn clever. I do use the viewfinder on mine fairly often.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup, and the design is pretty darn clever. I do use the viewfinder on mine fairly often.
I guess it's an old school thing for me. I tried to get used to the LCD screen on my Panny LX5 but always have the temptation to hold it up to my face. My wife refuses to use a camera without a real viewfinder - part of the reason of keeping one DSLR.
12-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pulled the trigger on the x30. Wasn't sure how long the $100 discount would last as it wasn't there a couple days ago.

Venturing into new territory now to see what all I can do with a compact camera.

12-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #8
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
You've posted a lot of nice work during my time on the forum, so looking forward to seeing your stuff with this little guy ☺
12-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I guess it's an old school thing for me. I tried to get used to the LCD screen on my Panny LX5 but always have the temptation to hold it up to my face. My wife refuses to use a camera without a real viewfinder - part of the reason of keeping one DSLR.
I looked back at all the digital cameras I owned prior to DSLR. All of them had a viewfinder. I guess that's why I have such difficulty adapting to using the K-01.
12-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #10
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I looked back at all the digital cameras I owned prior to DSLR. All of them had a viewfinder. I guess that's why I have such difficulty adapting to using the K-01.
Agreed. I briefly owned an MX-1, and while I thought it was really good for macro flowers, I never liked holding the camera away from my face. Always felt like I was just trying to get the meat in the shot, and then was counting on fixing the composition in post. I've seen awesome shots from the K-01, but have always resisted for that same reason.
12-20-2015, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should do very nicely with the X30, Stan. Probably the main reason I picked up an X10 was because of the viewfinder. The LCD is still useful for indoors and macro stuff though. Have fun with your new toy
12-20-2015, 05:01 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I've handled the X30 and it seems great but for the sensor.
12-20-2015, 05:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
You've posted a lot of nice work during my time on the forum, so looking forward to seeing your stuff with this little guy ☺
Well thank you!

I am considering it a challenge to see what I can do with the little Fuji. I know not to set my expectations too high - the combination of my K-5IIs and DA* lenses are just phenomenal. But the truth of the matter is this is a step I must take to continue with my hobby. I am making somewhat of a compromise that should work out well by keeping one Pentax body and 2 fantastic lenses while being able to try a camera that I can handle easily.

Hopefully I will have some shots to share in a few days thanks to the B&H free overnight shipping..